Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Self-install of Wood Burning Stove  (Read 51223 times)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Self-install of Wood Burning Stove
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 02:46:15 pm »
Not sure what its called but there is some part on log burners that also needs replacing frequently, not sure if its the Baffle or am I talking rubbish, anyway, it costs around £40, we also have to have our chimney swept but that's not too much of a problem and not costly either....no one seems to need the soot any more though!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 03:46:10 pm »
Not the fire I have - no replacement parts required.  Also have a heat plate at the back and concrete plinth.  I have certificates of compliance coming from both the installer and the supplier, and also a metal tag plate to be attached to the fire is going to be completed this week.  All sorted.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 03:56:03 pm »
I am sure that they all do Anne, we went to a log burner shop and made enquiries, there is a part that goes in time, usually a year, also a house we viewed had one that needed replacing and a friend had one too......they start to not throw the heat out after a while!
BafflesBaffles in wood heaters reflect heat towards the fire, increase the length of the flame path and create a chamber for secondary combustion, all of which are essential for clean burning and high efficiency. They may be stainless steel, cast iron, firebrick, ceramic fiber board or a combination of these materials. Since they are exposed to flame on both sides, baffles get very hot and will deteriorate over time. Removal and replacement is usually detailed in the owner's manual. For mainstream stoves, replacement parts can be ordered from a stove retailer or directly from the manufacturer. Cheaper stoves may have baffles that are not replaceable, meaning that the stove is ruined when the baffle fails.
Some horizontal baffles include a ceramic fiber blanket, which usually lies on top of the baffle. During maintenance and cleaning, this blanket must be pressed down flat so that it doesn't block the area above the baffle where the exhaust flows. Ceramic fibers should be treated like asbestos; airborne particles should not be inhaled. Wearing a respirator is recommended when doing this kind of maintenance.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 04:00:32 pm by happygolucky »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 04:13:14 pm »
No it doesn't - I checked.  I was told it might need one in about 5 years.  It's Swedish - they are experts at log burners.  If you look after the stove as explained when bought, they don't need baffles replaced very often.

THE BAFFLE PLATE IS BURNED INTO PIECES.
WHY HAS THAT HAPPENED, AND CAN I REPLACE IT?

The baffle is a consumable item that should be changed as needed.

Morsų cast iron stoves have very long life if wearing parts are replaced when they are worn. When letting too much primary air through the grate shaker, the temperature in the combustion chamber becomes very high, and this can shorten the life of the baffle.

Another reason may be that there are ashes and soot on top of the baffle. Soot and ash on top of the baffle should be removed 1-2 times a year, this can be done with a brush or Morsų ash tool.

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 06:06:35 pm »
 ::) OK.............

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2013, 12:28:57 am »
I am sure that they all do Anne, we went to a log burner shop and made enquiries, there is a part that goes in time, usually a year, also a house we viewed had one that needed replacing and a friend had one too......they start to not throw the heat out after a while!

mine is solid metal. how do you know if it needs replacing?

Don't forget you need to clean the flue as well

a bird fell down our chimney this spring and brought down stacks of soot, so im guessing our is now clean  :innocent:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2013, 08:53:07 am »
We had one stuck in ours last week, Steve lit some newspaper and it dropped down coughing so he put it outside, something ate it in the night though!! Similar thing happened with our other fireplace except it did not die and it went everywhere around the house  until we opened a window.. We did have a cowl on one chimney pot but then started to get smoke in the room, when we had the experts in, some one had put the wrong cowl on so now its off completely and we never get smoke, both our fires work very well....we have collected tons of wood too so unless we move before the winter sets in, loads of fires to keep us warm

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:18 pm »
a bird fell down our chimney this spring and brought down stacks of soot, so im guessing our is now clean  :innocent:

You're probably right Shygirl. Apparently it used to be common practice in Victorian times to clean chimneys by dropping chickens down them!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 12:18:06 pm »
 :chook:   :o  I  suppose then they modernised the proceedings and put little boys up them!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2013, 03:30:03 pm »

mine is solid metal. how do you know if it needs replacing?

There's a great deal of information on the internet, Shygirl.  Just Google the make and model of your stove.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2013, 09:25:14 pm »
In Victorian times Womble and Happygolucky, chickens were worth a lot more than little boys. Chickens were only available to the gentry. So cleaning a chimney by throwing a chicken down it may well have resulted in a hanging. They may have thrown another type of bird down though.

Your wood must be dry, that is less than 20% water content. Otherwise you have to turn the air up to burn it which results in in a dramatic increase in wood consumption and an increase in temperature to steam off the water. The small print in the fire handbook will say wood burned must be of less than 20% water content or the guarantee is invalid -big issue over here. And having measured the water content of wood apparently dry I would say no-one can possibly comply unless theirs is dried in a kiln and shrink wrapped.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2013, 10:14:17 pm »
In Victorian times Womble and Happygolucky, chickens were worth a lot more than little boys. Chickens were only available to the gentry. So cleaning a chimney by throwing a chicken down it may well have resulted in a hanging. They may have thrown another type of bird down though.

Your wood must be dry, that is less than 20% water content. Otherwise you have to turn the air up to burn it which results in in a dramatic increase in wood consumption and an increase in temperature to steam off the water. The small print in the fire handbook will say wood burned must be of less than 20% water content or the guarantee is invalid -big issue over here. And having measured the water content of wood apparently dry I would say no-one can possibly comply unless theirs is dried in a kiln and shrink wrapped.
You can buy a meter very cheaply.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:00 am »
There is a free way though, if you like maths. If you split the wood when it was green, you can look up an approximate moisture content for it. Then put several logs in a string onion bag or similar, weigh them, and tag the bag with the date and weight.  If you come back to the same bag after so many months, the weight will have decreased, and you can make a decent stab at calculating the new moisture content. When the weight stops decreasing, you know that the logs are about as seasoned as they're going to get. You can also tell sometimes by how the end grain has cracked, and when the logs start to look grey-ish rather than brown-ish.  :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:38 am »
Did anyone watch the Kevin McCloud programme about building a house for free...or from recycled stuff? It was a bit of fun really as he used stuff that would cost a lot and had a log burner made from an old safe!!! (possibly cost him more to convert it than to buy a pre loved of cheap new one)
I loved the little stoves you can get and want to aim for one you can put a kettle on the top!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
Hi Sandy,  if you're into recycling, have a squint at this and see what you reckon!  ;D

Can you tell what it is yet?  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS