Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feed a family of four for five days on £5  (Read 33669 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Feed a family of four for five days on £5
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 03:04:37 pm »
food banks are becoming swamped with clients

you have to have a referral from an appropriate agency you can't just turn up and they will feed you and your family for up to 12 weeks. I hear story's from friends who work in the food banks as volunteers of people who have walked miles to collect there weeks food and miles back again.

THIS IS HAPPENING ALL AROUND US!!!

there are 4 food banks running in Edinburgh alone and they go through 2 tons of food a week!!!

the locked bins comes from a fear amongst stores they will be prosecuted if someone gets ill from eating there discarded waste...

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 03:10:51 pm by bloomer »

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 03:13:45 pm »
Both me and my husband worked with homeless and used to know plenty of places where people could get free food such as the local temples and churches for example, where I worked we also took emergency food parcels with basic stuff in, its getting harder to survive than its ever  been, we had a load of 10 fruit the other week and most was not even ripe, goodness knows why they had reduced it so much :thinking:
My husband also did some wake ups to street sleepers, hot chocolate or coffee and biscuits!! Now I bet there are so many cut backs, such a shame, anyway, I am off later to check out that soya!!! :wave:

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 01:06:43 pm »
£20 for wine, for a week?, for 4 people?

Can't be done, I'd be crying on the Tuesday....

Is this to show how people survive on one dollar a day poverty line in the third world?

:roflanim: :roflanim: me too
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

rispainfarm

• Joined Jul 2012
  • longniddry
    • The Porky Quines
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 01:09:31 pm »
I will let you  know how it goes folks with recipes.
Author of Choosing and Keeping Pigs and Pigs for the Freezer, A Smallholders Guide

www.porkyquines.co.uk
http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/linda-mcdonald-brown/23/ab6/4a7/

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »
 :thumbsup: , hope it goes well.... :fc:

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 02:34:55 pm »
Nearly nettle soup time :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

Yum! And wild garlic omelettes, nearly time for those too  :yum:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 02:47:46 pm »
I have a lovely recipe for tomato soup with a poached egg served in it  ;)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 03:39:04 pm »
food banks are becoming swamped with clients

you have to have a referral from an appropriate agency you can't just turn up and they will feed you and your family for up to 12 weeks. I hear story's from friends who work in the food banks as volunteers of people who have walked miles to collect there weeks food and miles back again.

THIS IS HAPPENING ALL AROUND US!!!

there are 4 food banks running in Edinburgh alone and they go through 2 tons of food a week!!!

the locked bins comes from a fear amongst stores they will be prosecuted if someone gets ill from eating there discarded waste...

ah there probly all druggies and losers eh?? :-J

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 03:50:15 pm »
did i say that? no i didn't most of the people affected are people the benefit system has screwed over...

they are people often deeply ashamed they have had to ask for help to feed their families and it takes some of them a lot of courage to do so!!!

these are people with jobs who don't earn enough to cover ever increasing bills...

these are people who lose jobs suddenly and can't access benefits for what ever reason quickly,

or most commonly they are people where benefits have been cancelled and are pending appeal!!!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 05:04:22 pm »
There are loads of jobs but loads of people apply for them and most are min wage, not even sure  you can rent a house and bring up a family on a full time min wage job?
I am stuck as I can work if needed, I get offered jobs all the time but then miss out on business, its either close up or keep going, I also would have to pay out for all sorts of stuff, clothing (you should see what I wear?) petrol, upkeep of the car, and then my TAX would go past the limit. I have done all three, being self employed, fostering and paid youth work.
My husband and myself both do social work jobs if required, through an agency, they can stop any time or start any time, so not much security.
I have always had big houses but no money!!!!!! now I want a small house and some money!!! :thumbsup:
Crime is bound to increase, I keep thinking of the poor people trying to hold it together, its bad enough with no children to feed etc, anyway, lets see what the budget brings?  I already missed out on my pension! If they had not altered the age, I would be relatively well off, I live on fresh air and a few £ at the moment, even though business is great as we have had loads of expense that appears to take money from us faster than we can earn it, so cannot afford to be choosy about where I shop or how we eat!!
Left over Cottage pie tonight and some sort of pudding when I finnish rabbititng!!! :innocent:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 05:24:31 pm »
did i say that? no i didn't most of the people affected are people the benefit system has screwed over...

they are people often deeply ashamed they have had to ask for help to feed their families and it takes some of them a lot of courage to do so!!!

these are people with jobs who don't earn enough to cover ever increasing bills...

these are people who lose jobs suddenly and can't access benefits for what ever reason quickly,

or most commonly they are people where benefits have been cancelled and are pending appeal!!!

i used the tongue in cheek icon!!! alot of people believe that foodbanks are used by druggies and losers. i know this is not the case too david. in fact i first rasied the issue of foodbanks a while ago.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 05:45:01 pm »
sorry reread your post - i must learn not to reply straight after i walk in from a £#@&* day at work that left me rather grumpy.

have eaten and had caffeine now more relaxed...

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 05:49:42 pm »
They say that most people in the UK are just 3 pay cheques away from loosing their home and I guess in need of help from such as a foodbank. My daughter has just joined a major supermarket chain and visits many stores. If alerted she will buy "end of range food" that they won't give shelf space for. She gets her staff discount too and takes it to the food bank that she helps out at.
So - not just food near the sell by date is trashed. Stock with old packaging or in different sized containers/packs is taken off the shelf to make way for the new stuff.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

GaddesdenGal

• Joined Jan 2013
  • East Hertfordshire
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 06:00:44 pm »

That sounds delicious - have you ever put it in the recipe forum? Gulp, unless I've mis-read your emoticon wink and that's actually a metaphor.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 07:35:27 pm »

That sounds delicious - have you ever put it in the recipe forum? Gulp, unless I've mis-read your emoticon wink and that's actually a metaphor.
No, I haven't put on the recipe forum, but will do - it really is delicious.  No metaphor intended by my wink - I just like that emoticon!!  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS