Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rare breed = expensive  (Read 23189 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Rare breed = expensive
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2013, 02:19:32 pm »

If you are frustrated because you are surrounded by pony paddocks and  can't rent more land it ain't the fault of the soay breeder that's for sure! Unless of course they are on ground you want to rent? ;) ;D

You can get round this by renting blocks of 100 ac or more.   :P

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2013, 06:35:12 pm »
Wow, thats got to be some expensive mutton. Do you keep it in the wine cellar, next to the truffles?  :P . Pony paddocks? Has someone been reading my old posts?  :thinking:  As soon as an animal stops doing the work it was bred for and becomes a pet, thats when the health problems start, and the prices start to rocket! It has happened to dogs, and now sheep. Sorry, have i hit a nerve? I rent my grazing, and keep sheep and pigs for meat and pleasure. I dont have lots of acres to run a petting zoo. Maybe i should start running a few primitives, sounds like there are lots out there who are willing to pay. I might make a bob or two!  :innocent: 

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2013, 07:07:01 pm »
What a strange thread this is  ???

Different people will value their stock at different prices. People will either be willing to pay or not.

Contact the Soay Sheep Society and ask what would be a sensible/ going price to pay.  There maybe good reasons why some people are able to charge more and others less or maybe wishful thinking. It's surely the same with most things that are purchased ..... dogs, cats sheep, cars

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2013, 07:20:48 pm »
I feel sorry for the farmers. If the ewes are in lamb you cannot slaughter, and if there is nowhere for them to go, what is the poor bloke going to do? I have no wish to offend anyone, but feel frustrated as i am surrounded by pony paddocks, and have no way to rent more land.

Sorry I kinda thought it was summat to do with your issue about rare breeds as it was one of your first reply to the thread you started??

You haven't hit a nerve with me, like I said your opinion, nor anyone else's makes the slightest bit of difference to the way I keep/breed/sell my sheep, I thought you liked the lively debate?
I will admit to finding this thread bizarre and still don't actually get what your gripe is, but then no matter.

Wine cellar and truffles?? I suspect I am as far the opposite to that as it is possible to be :roflanim: . Mate I don't even have a house let alone a cellar!

My sheep make me zero money, they probably pay for themselves in a good year. But I don't have them to produce cash. I have them to produce stuff I need/use.

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2013, 07:38:09 pm »
It started off as a comment, and then its sort of changed as more and more people voiced their opinion. I have to confess, i am a little bit of a wind up merchant, and some comments were said with tongue firmly in cheek  :innocent: . It has certainly been a popular thread, and i still stand by my original comment, im amazed at the prices SOME rare sheep breeders will charge, and value their stock at. I repeat, no offence intended, and all the best with lambing folks  :fc:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2013, 07:41:12 pm »
It started off as a comment, and then its sort of changed as more and more people voiced their opinion. I have to confess, i am a little bit of a wind up merchant, and some comments were said with tongue firmly in cheek  :innocent: . It has certainly been a popular thread, and i still stand by my original comment, im amazed at the prices SOME rare sheep breeders will charge, and value their stock at. I repeat, no offence intended, and all the best with lambing folks  :fc:

No offence taken here at least :-*
Good luck with lambing also :fc:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2013, 08:48:22 pm »
Well I've just read the whole thread and take it the main issue is the cost of purebed sheep, but people have in the main always paid more for pedigree animals than crossbreeds be it dogs, cats, horses, sheep, or whatever - and also silly money for 'in vogue' crosses but at the end of the day an animal is only worth what someone will pay for it! Responsible breeders will be looking into bloodlines, breeding for type, choosing stock wisely so they can continue with the best attributes of that breed.  If I could afford to pay a lot of money for a pedigree sheep I would do my research and make sure I was getting a good specimen.  If you pay an inflated price for a poor sample you only have yourself to blame!  Same would apply to any other animal I was buying.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2013, 09:25:55 pm »
I do know of a certain breeder who sets his prices according to either 'poshness of accent' on the 'phone or 'shininess/newess of car/trailer' when they come to look at the sheep.... :innocent:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2013, 09:33:42 pm »
I like that  :roflanim:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2013, 09:54:21 am »
I do know of a certain breeder who sets his prices according to either 'poshness of accent' on the 'phone or 'shininess/newess of car/trailer' when they come to look at the sheep.... :innocent:
When people like that come to look at pigs we generally find the rule.......all the gear and no idea....fits perfectly or the other local saying all fur coat and nowt in the fridge fits too and they expect their stock to live on fresh air and excitement ::)  Wish we could get better prices for pigs but that a whole new other thread...............................
mandy :pig:

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2013, 11:46:35 am »

Don't think it's only sheep breeders who do that!  ::)
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

LandieMan

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2013, 09:34:37 pm »
I have a small rare breed flock, Hebreans and Manx. They are terrific sheep, tough, hardy and amiable. They are unable to compete on commercial terms with a modern herd. They are not a modern herd they are different. They cannot be bought to lamb weight in five months, they are hoggets at sixteen months. They are a different meat with a different taste to lamb, much better.  The animal has to be matured, it is five times older and needs to over-wintered. Once tasted people want more than we can produce the price cannot be that expensive. Mind you I have not seen the Tesco value range yet (whatever is in it)

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2013, 10:27:33 pm »
Hebreans and Manx. 2 breeds i would love i went over to see the manx very nice breed .

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2013, 12:03:27 am »
I have a small rare breed flock, Hebreans and Manx. They are terrific sheep, tough, hardy and amiable. They are unable to compete on commercial terms with a modern herd. They are not a modern herd they are different. They cannot be bought to lamb weight in five months, they are hoggets at sixteen months. They are a different meat with a different taste to lamb, much better.  The animal has to be matured, it is five times older and needs to over-wintered. Once tasted people want more than we can produce the price cannot be that expensive. Mind you I have not seen the Tesco value range yet (whatever is in it)

Cheapest lamb probably NZ frozen - so likely enough Rom, Highlander etc, grass finished.

It is hard to find poor quality lamb really - is mostly finshed outdoors and mostly eats grass, even if it is finished on concs.

I suppose 'value' is cull ewes, but I prefer an older animal to eat, personally.

Richard Underwood

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Cathilas Farm Soay - Hogget & Prime Mutton
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2013, 10:08:00 pm »
Sorry, could someone please tell me where I can sell good quality pedigree Soay ewes for £90 a head?I think I have been under-charging!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS