Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone got any dry land?  (Read 7951 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Anyone got any dry land?
« on: January 29, 2013, 04:56:57 pm »
Has anyone missed this awful weather. I'm so fed up with me wellies getting sucked off and being beaten over at the feed trough by wet sheep. If i could move fast enough i'd get out the way! but the beggers go in for the kill and i get wedged between trough, sheep and firmly fixed in life -sucking mud.
I come at night looking like the bog monster, wet fringe flopping about. I must look like some kind of bag lady when i go down the shop for milk.
My car smells permenantly of wet dog well, two wet dogs. and my sheep look as bad as me, shagbags, manky and a bit mouldy at the edges.
Please, please can we have some dry weather soon.
Sorry winge over, i'm having a particuarly moany day. ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Anyone got any dry land?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 05:00:04 pm »
Oh Feldar I recognise everything that you have said. I am longing for some dry weather. I wish someone could predict some even if it is a way ahead. It would at least give us something to look forward to.
 :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy: :raining: :gloomy:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 05:42:03 pm »
Nope - even the yard is wet as it's raining !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 06:08:39 pm »
Feldar , i know exactly how you feel .
Been tipping down all day here , and i am soaked to the skin .
Everywhere i look on the land is a sea of mud .
The times i have had to hunt for my socks in liquid mud ?, after a mud sucking boot removal , i can't count that high .
It must relent  some time surely , and i don't mean snow !
It is only when i see normal people , that i realise what a tramp i really am now !
Nearly always wet , covered in crap and mud , clothes in tatters and shreds , stinking of horses , wet dogs , onions and garlic .
 I myself don't stink though , i had a wash last March , so no problems there .
 I think i heard that it is meant to be dry tomorrow , or is my mind playing tricks on me ?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 06:16:03 pm »
Feldar, I think you've described me to a T.  We're all soggy inside and out and my OH says I look like a sack of tatties all the time.  ::)   

Funny though, I can hear that little bird somewhere singing even when it's a dreadful day and it reminds me Spring isn't far away, just hold on a bit longer everyone.

It's ok to moan by the way, helps relieve the stress  ;)

registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:36:28 pm »
I usually love the different seasons, the weather and yes, even the mud.

BUT ..... today, I have had enough.

Pouring down here  :gloomy: :rant: . Can hardly stay on my feet to see to the chickens, fed up of wiping dogs down and yep, I've got that wonderfully glamorous mud covered look down to perfection.

We are in the process of surfacing our drive and paths to the house so even these are just MUD .... need your gogs on to reach the car and can't get the children onto the minibus without them getting their uniforms wretched !!!!!

Not just you Feldar.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:44:54 pm »
It's the same here. I'm totally fed up of it now. Had a real struggle moving an IBC for the pigs' water this morning as our tractor is broke and the normally unstoppable Land Rover is as wet, muddy and knackered as I am. Roll on spring.

pastie4x4

• Joined Sep 2012
  • tavistock
    • jtp landscapes
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:25:25 pm »
ROLL ON SPRING I HATE THE RAIN  :gloomy: :rant:

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 07:32:23 pm »
At least the snow hid the mud now it is back with a vengeance, got pallets down as stepping stones and that definitely helps. :gloomy:
Anne

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 07:40:26 pm »
Feldar that about sums it up the only thing you missed is that our fields and track ways look like the Somme on a wet morning in 1913, muddy and rutted as the tractor is the only waqy to get feed to the lower fields for the pigs etc.

But I too keep hearing that bird song and cannot wait much longer for the Spring,  it will arrive eventually.

Tala
Pigs are human tooo

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:51 pm »
The Somme in 1913 was probably quite nice , ww1 hadn't started yet then ! , lol , sorry , not picking just thought it was funny .

Tala Orchard

• Joined Nov 2012
  • North Cornwall
    • Tala Orchard
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 07:51:58 pm »
oopp! 1914 I should say I was having an elderly moment.  :thumbsup:
Pigs are human tooo

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 08:00:13 pm »
We haven't had it as bad as a lot of folk but it's still dismal. Our hens are developing webbed feet. Blowing a hoolie here tonight - maybe blowing away all the water  :fc:

Mind you, it was nice this morning - dry and mild. And a bird singing :sunshine:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 08:39:39 pm »
my yards been under 2inch of water for 3 months at least. apart from a few days when it froze.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 08:40:41 pm »
Not too bad here in the Highlands, but we did not get the summer rain, nor the latest snow. But gusts of up th 80mph forecast for tonight and worried about the big trees next to the house :(
I won't complain though as lots of you have had the worst of it and to be honest we have got off lightly
 :fc: it drys up soon for you all :hug:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS