Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone got any dry land?  (Read 7953 times)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Anyone got any dry land?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 08:50:34 pm »
Snow melted and ice going, windy as f**k and getting muddy again but loving playing with the kids in the goat shed - clears away any winter blues - now see the plus side to kidding in January
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:21 pm »
Strong winds here as well. I did say to my OH that at least it would help dry out the ground.  "Unless it brings in more rain," he replied.  But it surely can't last much longer.

Not so bad for me because the goats are yarded, although OH does have to wade across to take the food in and the goats hate it.  Hoping to get it cleared tomorrow.   :hug: :hug: :hug: to all of you who are having to cope with waterlogged fields.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2013, 10:25:57 pm »
My OH is fighting a battle to finish the barn roof this weekend.  Poor love is having to do it all himself as i am laid up since last Monday with a torn hamstring  :( .  whatever the size of roof, the sheep will come in if they are dry enough.  to leave them any longer in the mud will be cruel. we want them warm dry and settled

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2013, 10:57:06 pm »
Nightmare here. Mud so deep I'm constantly having "out of welly" experiences. Can't get across pens to put new straw in the arks, so feeling really bad about the sows not being as comfortable as they should.
Waterlogged pens that haven't recovered from the summer bashing, despite being rested, and I have sows with litters waiting to be weaned in the barn, but nowhere to put them. Rain is still relentless, and looks like continuing into next week. Miserable.
Still, drove to Hereford yesterday and entire fields were completely under water. Thank God it's not that bad here. Everything is relative.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 07:35:18 am »
All I can do is feel with you all, send :hug: :hug: :hug: and so hope for :sunshine: :sunshine: :sunshine:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2013, 09:13:30 am »
Glad it's not just me suffering!! ;D  but i know some have had it worse than me. I'm just so knackered in the evenings, and i think it's fighting through the mud that does it. I thought i'd get fitter, but i just get more knackered, then fall asleep on the sofa as soon as dinner is over! i am a cheerful soul no doubt about it.
But yes the birds are singing here too, so new life will start soon. I just hope they have a better breeding season than last year, poor things got flooded out then too.

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2013, 09:32:00 am »
It is horrific on the south coast too, I have never seen the land this wet before, ever, including the winter of 2000.   Looking at the forecast, it is wave after wave after wave of intense rain sweeping over the country, almost every day.   We had 20 mm on Saturday night, 15 mm on Monday and 12 mm last night, it just goes on and on and on.    I just feel so sorry for the poor pigs, looking so forlorn with their feet permanently in 6 inches of ooze.   They have even given up digging.    I would love to be able to explain to them why I can't do anything about it, particularly my 4 month old babies who only have another 2 months to go before their trip to the seaside, and who have now spent nearly their entire lives in these awful conditions.     Did anyone else see the TV programme on reasons for UK's extreme weather - very depressing indeed.     I guess we will all appreciate it very much more than usual if ever we do get any nice dry weather again and a normal spring and fresh grass and that sort of thing!   Here's hoping - Tamsaddle   

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2013, 11:27:02 am »
 :sunshine: here this morning - the strong wind is making the water in the fields look like the sea. Dan says he's always wanted a seafront property but this wasn't what he had in mind  ;D

Rain foecast for tomorrow then pretty much dry until Sunday - please let the forecast be right :fc:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2013, 12:41:27 pm »
Wed 30th - just been out tidying up in the fields, it's worse than I thought in areas I thought were ok and the river banks are so sodden they are all collapsing into the river which has been super high with all this melting snow.  Where's March? Can't come soon enough.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2013, 12:47:20 pm »
Think its much the same all over the UK :raining: :gloomy: :rant: blowing a gale and squally showers here today. The outlook according to the luvely carol this morning remains ................unsettled....... so batten down the hatches and dream of a warm dry spring.
mandy :pig:

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »
 :sunshine: and snowdrops here - for today at least (although Sunday and Monday am were lovely too). I can smell spring, I'm sure of it!

H

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »
 :sunshine: but no dry land in sight, the water is still running down the hill...the ducks are having fun destroying the last of what used to be a lawn. If it wasn't such a freezing wind I might have started tidying outside but came back in after half a minute :P . :&>

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2013, 06:54:52 pm »
 :wave: Hi Feldar,

Same here on the Dorset coast :raining: :raining: with OH alternately  :rant: and  :gloomy: .  Gave up today and locked the GFD's in the barn before their field is completely trashed.  9 inches of mud around the field shelter ::) , could easily lose a small child in it  :o :o .  The Shetlands were brought in last week (their field more exposed, on clay and even worse), and they seem very content now to be in stables with a concrete pen outside.  It is certainly much easier for me :relief: .
Snowdrops and early daffs are out, I reckon another 3 weeks of mud...

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2013, 07:03:40 pm »
Meant to add.
We shoud rename our place 'Pallets R Us'.  It is the only way we can keep out of the mud. ::)
Had visitors on Monday night and the woman stepped into the hall and said 'I have MUD on my shoes! Er, well, yes... :-[   I wonder if they will visit again...I suppose we just get used to it.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2013, 09:41:03 pm »
Shropshire's pretty soggy as well.  Even though my goats are yarded, their yard was a sea of mud.  It was all cleared out today but the concrete still has a mud coating.  I did think about pressure washing but my OH pointed out that there is so much water around already, we didn't need any more.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS