Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wind  (Read 2865 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Wind
« on: January 30, 2013, 11:48:09 pm »
With the strong winds I will be surprised if my pollytunnel is still in one piece in the morning. Checked the ponies on the CTV and the noise in the building is scarey. Ponies do not seem to be concerned as they are all lying down. I on the other hand cannot sleep. Hate this weather.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Wind
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 07:52:56 am »
I hate it too - havent checked our roof after last nights gales yet. Roof is newish but the winds are sooo strong here that slates can be ripped off anyway....
I wouldnt mind if it was due to settle for a bit but the forecast for the next week or so is alternating strong winds, sleet and snow and rain and Im fed up of it - dont mind the snow but could do without the rest.....

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 09:38:42 am »
We had one helluva storm here about 3.30am this morning woke me up, thank god i shut the piglets in.....when i went out to them at 9.30pm it was a lovely night, very calm and clear skies, watched the stars for ages, let twinkle have her dinner and do her stuff and when she was settled, thought nice night will leave door open, checked around yard all locked up and i don't know why but i went back and shut her door after all. Glad i did poor girl and her babies would have took full force of the storm. :relief:
Still very windy now but stopped raining.
mandy :pig:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:31:01 pm »
It sounded like a second-rate horror movie here last night, what with the moaning of the wind round the end of the house and as though someone had a hosepipe turned onto the window  ::)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 01:45:16 pm »
Exactly the same here - sounded like rooves were being ripped off and tossed around the farm, but all seem safe and sound this morning  :relief:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:25:50 pm »
I don't know how the house is still in one piece with the wind today. Needing heavy weights on my boots just to stay on the ground  :o

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 03:33:20 pm »
In December I had the gable ends of the house fitted with zinc that overlapped the slates to stop the wind blowing them off. It worked except a strip of the zinc edging blew off last week and ripped a slice of the new wooden stairs that I had fitted down the side of the house to get into our workshop. The good news is that the nice English roofer came out the next day and repaired it - refitted some slates and refixed a gutter for 10 Euro (petrol money).
Hope everyone is safe. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 04:05:19 pm »
Was so windy last night that I could not believe that we didn't suffer some damage, but all well this morning and it has been a clam day with no rain and even saw the sun for a while :sunshine:
Sound like it is going to wet and windy for the weekend though :(

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 04:24:27 pm »
In December I had the gable ends of the house fitted with zinc that overlapped the slates to stop the wind blowing them off. It worked except a strip of the zinc edging blew off last week and ripped a slice of the new wooden stairs that I had fitted down the side of the house to get into our workshop. The good news is that the nice English roofer came out the next day and repaired it - refitted some slates and refixed a gutter for 10 Euro (petrol money).
Hope everyone is safe.
that is sooo annoying, the thing you do to stop bits coming off, comes off!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 09:54:21 pm »
I have just bought a s/h electric wheelchair so we can take the dogs out.  Picked it up Monday and was delighted to see the sun on Tuesday but it's been so wndy that I daren't go out.  It was bad enough going as far as the goat yard.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS