Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our new pup - progress  (Read 17030 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Our new pup - progress
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2012, 10:41:44 am »
For that reason amongst others I would not recommend a working collie as a house pet in a house with young children, or to live in any lifestyle where it will come into contact with young children.

And yet my family has 6 collies currently, all of whom are house pets with kids about, and all are working stock and four of them are partly-working dogs. 5 of these are from the same breeding.

I accept that snapping and possibly biting are part of a collie's work - but my premise is that with the right temperament, the dogs are no more risk to youngsters than most others. In the same way as we has a Police dog who was a scary business when he was at work, but when off-duty was fine with people, as fine as most big dogs would be.

Personally I think gundogs make great family pets but I have to say our collies are good with people, including kids.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2012, 11:01:33 am »
This is the side that worries me more than anything and that puts me off if anything. My children are 11 and 14 and grown up with big excitable dogs around them but dogs that I through careful observation trusted .... and I do understand that no dog can be fully trusted. I think they are old enough to understand how collies "tick" but worry whether this side to them would make them difficult for me to take everywhere with me. Though I have to watch my FC  carefully around people not used to dogs/ children because of his over-friendly nature and boisterous personality  ??? . Some gundogs make good pets but it's like all breeds and varies. My father has 2 labs at the minute that are nervous dogs and the actions of young children spook them ..... if I even wear a hat they are unsure if it's me!!!!

Pup's mum is very friendly, fussy and gentle. Jumps up and seeks attention. Not sure about dad. To me, she seems more balanced than some collies. I won't rush in. Will find out more because couldn't risk making a mistake. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2012, 11:08:50 am »
jaykay, I am sure you know that you and your family are extraordinary animal people.  I expect you could have a pet crocodile and it would be a pussycat!   :D

So I stick by my generalisation as a generalisation. 

And, in the hills, bless you for wanting to take a great deal of care over this decision.  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2012, 11:19:36 am »
jaykay, I am sure you know that you and your family are extraordinary animal people.  I expect you could have a pet crocodile and it would be a pussycat

Well that might be so  :D Plus the dogs really are a good temperament  :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2012, 02:16:42 pm »
Dogs are  utilised for their traits as we all know, so thats the starting point, get the wrong dog and you can find it much harder to adapt or train ......I need a working dog that can wash up and hoover :innocent: although I suppose I have, they will clean pots if I let them and they do try to put washing away, usually in their beds and as for the hoover well my husband is surgically attached to our Dyson , besides that point, some dogs are much harder to train and as for recall, males have male selective hearing.....or am I too cynical?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2012, 02:39:47 pm »
Pup's mum is very friendly, fussy and gentle. Jumps up and seeks attention
That sounds good  :thumbsup:

Lol Sandy, yes if only I could train the dogs to go out and collect firewood instead of removing it from the log basket and chewing it to bits all over the floor.....etc etc Mine are pretty good at pot-washing too  :D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2012, 03:14:01 pm »
Just enjoyed 4 perfect recalls with 'distractions'. Either he was sniffing (fox trails) or 'talking' to the goats or rolling in the frost but each time straight back for a treat and lots of happy noises and hugs from me.

Now to stop him pulling on the lead quite so hard!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2012, 03:22:52 pm »
 :excited:  Well done, Plums.

He's only a babe, in my opinion, go slowly with your training ..... plenty of time. I would just make heel work fun for a bit ...... I walk very slowly, very quickly, round in a circle and backwards ...... he will wonder what on earth you're doing, eyes on you and he'll be interested. Pat your leg and give command.

Did you say he was only 10 weeks?  Couple of minutes heel work on his lead several times each day in the house will do, then garden and then elsewhere.

In my opinion don't rush him, can do more harm than good, he has to be a baby first.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2012, 03:26:06 pm »
He's 16 weeks  :)

we just have a few minutes a day, rest is playtime which is good for the children too!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2012, 03:31:05 pm »
Top tip for heelwork is never go forward if the dog is pulling.  Yes use all the whiles as people are suggesting to make it fun and make him come with you, but whenever there is a forward pull on the lead, you stop moving forwards.  Do not proceed forwards until the lead is slack.  He'll get it pretty quickly, especially if you help him by making it very exciting to come back to you and set off in a different direction ....  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2012, 05:09:43 pm »
Well done Plums and Murphy  :thumbsup:

Do not proceed forwards until the lead is slack
that's exactly it  :thumbsup:

And don't 'tug' him back on lead.

Except if you ever do, make it count - roar 'no' and pull him so hard you pull him off his feet. Sounds awful but my ex, the Police-dog trainer, used to say that all people generally did was train dogs to tolerate harder and harder tugs, til you had to do it over and over again really hard. So that actually it was kinder to do it right, once or twice.

But far better, with plenty of time and patience, is to do as SITN says.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2012, 05:19:24 pm »
have found that chatting to him as we walk keeps him looking at me and he doesn't pull  ;D

The more I look at him, the more he looks like a collie X terrier. The lady I bought him from took the mum (norfolk terrier ) in and it was assumed that her samoyed fathered the pups but as the mum would have been straying on farm land I personally think there could be a chance his dad was someone else!

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2012, 05:25:41 pm »
Never let him pull, he is young and is going to try it on, purse your techniques and never give in to him pulling you where he wants, yes, change directions constantly, if he pulls stop give him a quick tug tug on the lead, say no or his name then when he comes back then start again, works well to change direction so then they do not predict where they are going.......chatting is good, I tell the dogs where I am going, either things like right or left or stopping here, they learn very very quickly!! 

Oh and ours empty the logs basket, they think they are helping, would be great for kindling makers!!!!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:28:08 pm by happygolucky »

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2012, 05:43:17 pm »
I always use a loose lead looped in my hand, as soon as the dog pulls on this I drop the loop and quick turn and walk in the opposite direction, it works. You look daft, but it works.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2012, 06:16:07 pm »
have found that chatting to him as we walk keeps him looking at me and he doesn't pull
that's good.

He sounds as smart as a BC to me - I reckon his dad was a naughty farm collie, from his intelligence and his looks  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS