Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our new pup - progress  (Read 17020 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Our new pup - progress
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:29:25 am »
Have carried out some research - seems mum was a norfolk terrier.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:33:30 am »
How's his sleeping?, my latest (albeit only 8 weeks old today) managed to sleep until 5.30 this morning without waking up  :excited:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 07:35:45 am »
That's good going for 8 weeks isn't it?

He's not too bad, he wakes about 2am and howls a few minutes but settles again. If he hears noise he howls then gives up! This morning though our youngest was crying and we thought it was the dog so ignored it - feel awful now because when we did realise and went in, we found her really poorly!

He's very clingy to people, likes someone with him all the time - I take it that's quite normal? 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 07:53:49 am »
First time since we got her

Clingy behaviour is just wanting not to be solitary, he's probably never been on his own before, he'll get used to it, I try and leave mine on there own for an hour every now and then just so they don't get separation anxiety, I do this gradually with the puppy
I also train them to stay whilst I'm out of sight
Mind they're with me all the time home & work, it's lucky Morris my 3yr old border collie is rock solid and in charge, if I pop out they just look to him for what to do

I've got 3 other dogs so the pup always has company of one sort or another

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 08:16:42 am »
Makes sense, especially as we have no other dogs so Murphy is seeing us as his pack. I think during the week when its just he and I, I will pop upstairs every now and then so he's alone for short bursts and work on that then.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 10:10:29 am »
plums, if only all new dog owners set about it the way you are, there'd be a lot less unhappy and unwanted dogs. 

Murphy looks gorgeous (so does Scarlett) - but yes, those are huge paws!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 05:48:25 pm »
I read that Sammies are good herding dogs - could be interesting! He's certainly a good sniffer, nose permanently down and tail up...

Oooooh interesting!

I shall be watching his progress with interest!
Incidentally with most sheepdogs (collie types) when their tails go up their brains fall out their bottoms ;)
However I believe sammies carry their tails over normally so again I will be very interested to see how he comes along.
Regardless as to his working future he is adorable and I want to maul him and squish him :love:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 06:05:52 pm »
plums, if only all new dog owners set about it the way you are, there'd be a lot less unhappy and unwanted dogs. 

Murphy looks gorgeous (so does Scarlett) - but yes, those are huge paws!   :D

Thank you! that means a lot, I appreciate your support.

He is adorable CW! Only thing is, he is sort of permanently attached to me wherever possible ;D I'm having to move him into his own space so that I can cook dinner etc without him lying on my feet. He met new dogs today, that went well. He's been shopping, school run, to collect my eldest from school, to the park and he's been in the car several times. All going well. He doesn't like getting into the car though but happily jumps out at other end. 

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »
 :thumbsup: I know what its like to have puppy slippers  :innocent: ...I should keep putting him in the car without going out.....then he will get use to it, ours have always been fine but the car can often be assosiated with bad things like a trip to the vet!!!!!  I looked them up too....a big fluffy dog then? looks a good mix from what I can see!!!

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 08:47:08 pm »
Your doing great with him plums   :thumbsup:
keep taking him places to meet lots of people and travel regularly to nice places such as school to collect kids. Not to every trip, he also needs to learn short bursts at home alone. This way travelling becomes a normal occurrence.
Try putting a baby gate at the kitchen door ( we have one there permanently ) that way you are busy in the kitchen, pup can watch but not be too attached (and out of danger of spillages or you tripping over him ).
and you can keep an eye on what he is up to  ;)

He sounds like he is doing well, perhaps he can have a quiet growl in Obi's ear about behaviour  :roflanim:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 09:32:55 pm »
MS, I used to do just that, have a baby gate across the kitchen door so I didn't trip up over my (two) puppies  :thumbsup:

Babies 'get' object permanence, ie realising you haven't vanished forever when they can't see you, at around 18 months, and you know they've understood it when they will pull a blanket off a toy they've watched you hide underneath it.

Same for a pup I guess, but I don't know at what age. Until they're old enough to get this, they will be unhappy when you're out of sight. Once they get it, you can train them to tolerate it, and that you come back, with the way of 'popping upstairs' or outside for 10 mins at a time  :thumbsup:

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 05:13:23 pm »
I also think a baby gate would be great as pups, just like babies are very quick at picking up stuff you drop that's possibly bad for them.......one of ours had some garlic once, I could only tell by their breath but they should not have garlic either....not good, mind you, a dog trainer says a little bit of garlic in the form of some sausage, is good for keeping ticks away...not tried it as I do not want to take the risk!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 05:17:19 pm »
He has a baby gate separating the kitchen from the utility room as I don't want him causing a trip hazard while I cook but also if I'm working with soap (caustic soda etc!) he's best out of the way! Its worked well, he can see us and the cat sees it as protection for her. He has his crate in the cupboard that used to be a pantry and the run of the utility run. Its working well. 

Being brave and letting him off lead to run in our garden (sure he can't get under fence onto that road but always in my mind) so far he comes back and stays near me  :fc: I think letting him off the lead for a run at the park is my greatest worry now.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 05:35:08 pm »
Make sure you teach the instant sit before letting off in an open space, Plums.(there's no need fro him to run free at this age anyway, only for your benefit thinking he is getting freedom, but it could let him get into trouble)  Teach the instant sit at your side and gradually lengthen the distance from you - a policeman hand held up is a good visual aid, and I like mine trained to a whistle.
Also ensure his recall is 100% before he goes free - believe me it pays when you see your beloved dog running towards a road and you can stop him on a whistle!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 05:38:32 pm »
My "puppy" is 7 years old and is still always under my feet ...... ironing, cooking, cleaning  ..... he's there. I can't move. Hates to be separated from me.  Good thing is I think it makes him less likely to roam and keeps him fairly close when he is free running ...... could have advantages!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS