Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just had to report an owner to the RSPCA  (Read 10725 times)

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
Just had to report an owner to the RSPCA
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:18:26 am »
Oooo I'm not happy,

Just finished grooming a papillon, it was rank.

Came from a breeder!, member of the family brought it in, matted, covered in urine, stank to high heaven.

Anyway 2hrs later he looks like a show dog, and smells of baby powder, managed to save 95% of his coat, only had to shave behind his ears eventually

The worst thing is he weighs about 3.5 kg, all bones, no personality, no fight just let me do whatever,

So I've done it, told the RSPCA who I hope are going to investigate, I've told the family member not to take him back and to feed him little & often, and I've broken one of my own rules and fed him myself

Dogs are dogs, dogs are not money machines, it properly makes me bloody angry, I've a good mind to go round and confront this woman, but I won't.

:rant: :rant:

Anyway got a St. Bernard in this afternoon, slobber, slobber, not sure who'll get wettest

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Just had to report an owner to the RSPCA
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 11:51:35 am »
that makes me mad - well done for doing something about it. Its not like a Papillon costs much to fee either...:-(

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:00:17 pm »
Yeah feel better now, I've also dropped an email to the kennel club just in case she's an accredited breeder or anything

It's hard to Make that decision because if word gets round I could loose business, it's supposed to be anonymous, anyway welfare of dogs comes first imo

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:14:12 pm »
I hope they do get checked out, poor dogs and most likely poor bitch!!!!  I dread to think of the sort of state they are kept in!!! 
Sadly, in this world including politics, religion, press, big business etc (and the BBC) people keep quiet due to the implications etc, I understand that one.......so sad though!

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:12 pm »
There are apparently 4 bitches   :gloomy: don't start me again

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:34:17 pm »
Its so upsetting.......I hate that sort of ill treatment....we have had pups but looked after them well, some one who came to buy one had gone to see another litter and that was in a bad state too so they reported them, I think they either sell through some one else or the buyers are nieve, if some one wants any pup or dog, go and see the parents with the pups and make sure they are clean and healthy looking at the very least, although I know many people buy pups from places where they are kept in bad conditions to save them!! I bet I would do that as well!!!! :(   Hope things turn out good!!  :hug:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 12:47:25 pm »
Alistair. It was a horrible thing to have to do but I think you made the right decision.
Poor little dog  :dog:
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 02:29:21 pm »
Good for you  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 02:42:57 pm »
Definitely the right thing to do  :trophy: You are in a position of trust of care to that animal, there was no other choice.

I hope they are thoroughly investigated and the other dogs removed prompt!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 05:06:55 pm »
well done  :thumbsup:  someone has to stand up for the poor things.  Don't be surprised though if the RSPCA do nothing though, that's precisely what they did when I reported a dog being starved on a farm.  :rant: :rant:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 05:54:12 pm »
Yeah feel better now, I've also dropped an email to the kennel club just in case she's an accredited breeder or anything

It's hard to Make that decision because if word gets round I could loose business, it's supposed to be anonymous, anyway welfare of dogs comes first imo
You are to be highly commended for your actions - well done.  High time there were more brave and sensible  people like you! :bouquet:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 06:02:18 pm »
If you don't enjoy grooming don't keep coated dogs!! I keep the wipe clean variety because I know, much as I would love to keep Pekinese I wouldn't cope with the grooming.
Matted coats pull at the skin so painfully, you did the right thing, Alistair :thumbsup:

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 06:47:51 pm »
Or bring them to me!

Just don't leave them rotting.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 09:00:31 pm »
Its soo annoying working in vets & you see obese pets or pets people own who either can't groom them or can't be bothered & then you end up with the things (Normally small breeds of dogs) being so stressed or aggressive to be groomed or have their nails trimmed & needing a sedation just to do it often because their not used to it or are spoilt rotten by the owners >:( >:( There's nothing wrong with spoiling your pets but do it within reason - not to the point where they are snappy, disobedient or overweight!

Good point mammyshaz the RSPCA are hopeless in my opinion I'd much sooner recommend other animal charities myself & many friends have worked with lots which are brilliant such as: PDSA, Cats protection league, Dogs trust & Dogs for the disabled xx

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 11:01:24 pm »
I am not a fan of the RSPCA - but in this case believe you did the right thing.  Really hope they take action and investigate this genuine case.  To be honest, do not know how they dare bring the dog for grooming in that conditon !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS