Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just had to report an owner to the RSPCA  (Read 10752 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Just had to report an owner to the RSPCA
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 11:03:23 pm »
Sorry, bloody 'breeders' again !
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 07:06:25 am »
Roxy, 'they' didn't, it was a a family member who is trying to step in, she rang yesterday to say that she'd kept the little fella  :excited:, just hope the RSPCA can get to the others.

Shropshirelass, don't get me started, if I see another exposé type hing in the paper were someone is moaning that they took their dog to be groomed and it came out shaved, ooooo makes me cross, I get a couple of little dogs that look fantastic in, but the owners brush with a bristle brush, this doesn't even touch the coat really, so the outer hair is fine but knotted to hell close to the skin, I'm trying to educate them, it'll take time but at least they're trying, "that pin brush (or slicker) will hurt him" nope, if you keep on top of it it'll make him look great
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:11:59 am by Alistair »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 09:07:15 am »
Having said I don't "do" coated dogs I am commited to two tiny Yorkies. They have SO much coat :o :o  all around their eyes too :(  If I could I would re-home them but one was left to me in a will so I can't betray that trust and one came to be found a good home but as he's old, timid, snappy and not house trained nobody wanted him.
I scissor off their coats when it starts to get long and take them to my daughter's every Sunday and bath them then my seven year old grand-daughter brushes and blow dries them until they look beautiful. She has endless patience with them and the dogs love the attention. All they get with me is mud!!(and love)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 09:52:45 am »
This conversation would interest a groomer friend of mine She puts photos of before and after on her Facebook page.  Recently she put one up of my second favourite breed - a Cocker - and I commented that I wish people would think about breeds coat before buying a dog.  It's owner saw my comment and went mad.  I didn't criticise her in person, just people who had their dogs in a mess or had them all clipped by a groomer off rather than spend time grooming them properly.  I used a hound slicker with little nylon balls on the ends of the wires on mine when I had my Cockers, and used 'finger and thumb' technique for taking any excess hair out.
I see no point in buying a cocker pup then shaving all its hair off.  They'd be better with a Chinese crested  ::) :innocent: or a Labrador.

I can't see what 'breeders' have to do with it.  Cockers have always had long coats - since the  1700's!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Alistair

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 10:30:50 am »
Breeders - read irresponsible puppy farmers not responsible breeders, two different things imho

Doganjo, I think you mean hand stripping, it's sooo therapeutic hand stripping is
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:33:10 am by Alistair »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 04:39:16 pm »
Yes, but wasn't sure everyone would know what I meant by hand stripping. ;D

Puppy farmers and breeders definitely two different things but still don't see what it ahs to do wioth stupid people buying teh wrong breed of dog for their lifestyle - i.e. don't have time to groom a long coated breed properly so don't buy a long coated breed - simples, as they say. :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 07:35:26 pm »
Oooh I think I may accidentally hand strip my dog  ::)   (checks youtube) ah yes, sort off, only I don't "pluck" quite so hard! The other cheat is getting a dog who likes to be pristine - half the work is then done for you  ;D

I'm glad the little one in question is now in good hands though  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 08:28:12 pm »
I love combing dogs coats, it is so therapeutic. I had a dog who was almost a bearded collie and loved keeping her pristine. She was such a snob she walked around little puddles or jumped larger ones rather than get dirty  ;D .
 Obi is a longhaired GSD and we love our brushtime. He likes to hold one comb while I use another. Just don't understand how I can get a carrier bag ful almost every day at the moment, he ought to be bald by now  ::)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 10:34:21 pm »
If you read the opening comment for this thread you'll see that the dog was brought in from a 'breeder'.
Some people just won't have it will they that 'breeders' does not necessarily equate to sensible, responsible, caring or anything else, dog owner !
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2012, 12:54:59 am »
Oh god yeah I'm not going to lie there's plenty of bad breeders out there but there are also a lot of very good breeders to & some of my friends are said "Very good breeders" its like with good & bad owners they shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush - I personally like to own my dogs from puppies from reputable breeders as puppies & train them to my standards & I also like to do my research on a number of suitable breeds & contact a load of breeders before getting a dog.

Every day you see people who can't handle, groom or understand their dogs behavior or health problems because they simply haven't done the research before buying a dog,  I know there are a lot of very good owners & breeders out there - who for some reason cant manage & I really do feel for them & its great for those who do come & ask for help at the vets to know we are there to & I love it when someone says I'm thinking about buying a puppy what advice can you give & they listen but I hate it if someone comes in with a dog they can't control & say something like " He's a right so & so but we bought him as we always wanted a dalmation" & they haven't put the training in & leave it all day & complain the house is torn up & he urinates all over the floor & doesn't listen: Dalmations are prone to stress if left alone due to being working dogs & are known to be destructive & uncontrolled urinating due to the stress & also deafness - hence maybe not listening. sorry but thats a prime example & 8/10 good breeders wouldn't sell pups to anyone who hasn't done their research & go to extreme lengths to ensure healthy dogs are only bred from & have huge waiting lists for pups because of this x

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2012, 09:29:52 am »
Obi is a longhaired GSD and we love our brushtime. He likes to hold one comb while I use another. Just don't understand how I can get a carrier bag ful almost every day at the moment, he ought to be bald by now  ::)

You're saving it all up to spin, right?  :knit: :knit:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2012, 08:47:49 pm »

:o. We laugh about the fact I get enough to make a jacket but I've NEVER actually considered it  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 11:10:23 pm »
If you read the opening comment for this thread you'll see that the dog was brought in from a 'breeder'.
Some people just won't have it will they that 'breeders' does not necessarily equate to sensible, responsible, caring or anything else, dog owner !
I think I have already given the dictionary definition of breeder on another thread and it covers ANYONE who puts a bitch to a dog with the intention of producing pups.  There are good and bad in every walk of life as has been said before, but wherever this chap was bought from or got from has no bearing on the fact that he was ill looked after..

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 05:19:17 am »

:o. We laugh about the fact I get enough to make a jacket but I've NEVER actually considered it  ;D
If you have a look around on Ravelry, you'll find quite a few threads about spinning dog hair.  I think it's even been studied once in A Spinner's Study.  Shout if you want help finding some appropriate threads!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2012, 06:29:04 pm »
I saw a documentary where they were using peoples pet Samoyeds in it to spin their wool - I only remember this as a friend has 1 x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS