Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigmy x golden guernsey  (Read 14337 times)

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Pigmy x golden guernsey
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »
Would this type of cross be any good as a milk goat? Only because I have seen some for sale and wandered.. Not sure what breed I would like yet. Still learning :thumbsup:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Pigmy x golden guernsey
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:39:24 pm »
If you want something small and handle-able but milky, Jaykay milks Old English Goats - maybe she will be along to tell you....a wee sized GG may be good too though.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 02:41:26 pm »
I have a pygmy x golden guernsey, she has an udder like a football. She looks like a little GG . I would not know how she compares to a big milking goat but she definately has the equipment! I have not actually milked her yet as she has a couple of babies on her but she does look twice the size of her mum.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 02:58:41 pm »
I have a pygmy x golden guernsey, she has an udder like a football. She looks like a little GG . I would not know how she compares to a big milking goat but she definately has the equipment! I have not actually milked her yet as she has a couple of babies on her but she does look twice the size of her

Thanks Hermit sounds like the size I would like.. Is her mom a pigmy?

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 02:59:41 pm »
If you want something small and handle-able but milky, Jaykay milks Old English Goats - maybe she will be along to tell you....a wee sized GG may be good too though.

Thanks for that  :fc:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 05:24:19 pm »
Hmm Pygmy X GG...just needs a bigger sized egg cup ;D

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 06:18:51 pm »
Hmm Pygmy X GG...just needs a bigger sized egg cup ;D

Is that a no from you then JJ? ???

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 09:10:59 pm »
I think you'll find quite a few goat keepers who have goats for dairy reasons will be reluctant to entertain a pygmy or pygmy x Carl. Its not to say they'd definitely not be any good but what I think JJ is saying is, milking might be a)tricky and b)the pygmy isn't bred for its milk (although in this case the GG will quite likely have good lines!)

Before I bought the goats I have now, i was in a similar situation to yourself and doing as much research as possible to make the right choices. Our most local breeder was 'allthingsrural' and they have pygmies. I emailed them about buying a pgymy cross with a view to milking and they basically said although its not impossible, its unlikely to get success from them.

I'd say that if you are looking for a good milker but a small and easy to handle goat consider Old English or even Saanens or Toggenburgs THAT HAVE COME FROM A GOOD BREEDER!! Forget preloved (that's how I made a fatal mistake) with your first herd, a reputable breeder will set you in good standing. My Togg came from Fay Ogden in Warwickshire. I have the most beautiful, placid, well trained goat you can imagine in Puffin - she'd make a perfect 'starter goat' and I have no fears about her being near my children ever.  This is what I mean about them having good foundations from good breeders. Once you are established as a confident goat owner, other places like preloved aren't so dangerous as you'll know what to look for more.
Sure some goats on there are perfectly buyable but some can be a costly mistake (in all sorts of ways ) to a newbie - trust me, been there  :'(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:37:31 pm »
It's a nitemare.. I would like a milk goat but not massive amounts. Doin my head in lol but no doubt I will get there in the end. Thank you for your patients "plums" must be doin yours in aswell ???

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 09:47:21 pm »
I agree with Plums!

I bought my goats from a random ad, and though they are healthy etc and I love them dearly it has taken over a year to get the flightiest one 'easy'.
I couldn't ask anyone else to milk her though! No disrespect to you but I suspect easy for me probably isn't going to be easy for you just yet.
Would I trust her around children? Nope never. Enid has a cracking set of horns and at child eye height. I believe she would never intentionally use them, but an accident could leave a child just as blind as a deliberate poke.

These were my first goats, but I have worked on 2 goat farms and learned through them how NOT to do it ( >:( >:( ). Go to a good breeder, do yourself the favour and then be able to enjoy goat keeping from the start :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 10:14:04 pm »
Carl, make that trip to Telford and meet my Sanaans.  Then, if you're not smitten (and if not, why not?  :-J ) visit other people with other breeds.  If you go for a pure bred, particularly if it's registered with the British Goat Society, you will pay more but if you only want to keep goats for the milk, a cross will be fine.  I bought my Sanaan x Boer from a lady who keeps dairy goats and sells the milk for cheese making, so she should be good for milk when old enough.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 08:34:52 am »
Carl, make that trip to Telford and meet my Sanaans.  Then, if you're not smitten (and if not, why not?  :-J ) visit other people with other breeds.  If you go for a pure bred, particularly if it's registered with the British Goat Society, you will pay more but if you only want to keep goats for the milk, a cross will be fine.  I bought my Sanaan x Boer from a lady who keeps dairy goats and sells the milk for cheese making, so she should be good for milk when old enough.

I will be coming to see you soon MGM and Plums also visiting Little blue to get was much info before I take the plunge thank you x

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 08:47:55 am »
And I also agree with MGM that a cross breed can be perfect! Savannah my maiden is saanenX and her milk is amazing yet she's quite small and easy to handle. I think the point I was trying to make about 'breeders' was to buy from someone who's experienced with breeding goats, not neccessarily pure breeds (does that make sense?) someone who can give you advise, after care tips, a healthy well bred and raised goat etc etc.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 09:13:03 am »
Cross-bred goats can be registered with the British Goat Scoeity and in the show world are compeing on equal terms with the pure breds. Honestly even a "pure" British Toggenburg has some other breed in her, as that's how they were developed (from the pure Toggs), and you can take a BT, cross breed her to another breed and then breed back to BT for a few generations and you move back into "Pure" BT territory... all quite confusing.
If you want a milker that a) gives you reasonable amounts of milk, and b) is easy enough to handle for a beginner and/or chldren, then any crossbreed from Swiss-type stock would be ok - if coming from a reputable breeder and registered with the BGS (or pedigrees of the parent stock available). Maybe not too much British Alpine in her though - (British) Saanen and (British) Toggenburg Xes would be my ideal choice.
An older goat that has done it all a few times is also best to start with.
Golden Guernseys are very nice and placid milkers, with annual yields anywhere between 500 and 1200kgs per year, but they are a) rare and difficult to get hold of for pure-bred and registered stock, and b) quite expensive as they have become more popular thanks to certain TV personalities... It also seems there is a bit of a trend of leaving them in the "naural" state, i.e. with a good set of horns. Long-coated GG's require weekly brushing (preferably all year round). BUT they do have the "wow" factor if you take them out to a show :D

chickenfeed

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 10:17:58 am »
dont forget the east of england autumn show 14th oct they have had quite a good entry for goats so pleanty of chatty breeders and breeds to help you alnong yor way.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS