Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Body Temperature/Snotty Nose  (Read 2703 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Body Temperature/Snotty Nose
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:23:24 am »
I have 3 Boer X wethers which I bought in August.  One had an occasional dirty nose and vet recommended antibiotic just in case pneumonia through stress of moving.  It seemed to clear up but he has what sounds like a smoker's cough!

He doesn't cough badly all the time so it could just be food or dust related.  His nose intermittently gets mucky and I gave him more Terramycin last Friday and clear since, just occasional cough.

Question is, I took his temperature this morning and 38.3.  Isn't this a bit low? Should I be worried? And how do I tell whether he is sick?

He eats well, looks happy and plays with others.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Body Temperature/Snotty Nose
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:24:52 am »
Sorry not much help, but I have a similar case, April-born kid, cough/congested chest since she has been to a show in July, coughs when running around and on getting up first thing in the morning, but is otherwise healthy, eats and grows well and is as mad as the rest of them(the others in the same pen are all fine). She had a course of Betamox a few weeks back but it hasn't made any difference. She hasn't got a snotty nose though...
Will be interested to see what others think on this and yours... :thinking:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:45:15 am »
Lung worm ? or hay allergy ? has he had access to any mouldy hay?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 11:46:21 am »
An allergy is possible, I know it seems mad but it does happen. If it is hay or straw they generally arent too bad unless in a smaller space with the hay/straw. had a goat who was allergic to straw, and it flared up worst when she being transported (smaller space, more enclosed with the straw) I also had a billy goat once who I swore used to get hay fever. He would snuffle in the summer months- especially after a night out in the field.

I think I would less worried with a low temp than a high one, but it does seem a bit on the low side. Are his ears cold to the touch, or if you put your finger inside his mouth is the inside of his cheek feel cold? If yes to either then he is too cold, and there is something wrong.

Beth

mart2671

• Joined Sep 2012
  • South Devon
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »
Goats if ill will go off there food and once they do that something is wrong . If he eats plays etc i would say its dust . Try giving him some oil in his food for a while can be cheap veg oil or cod liver oil say table spoon a day in his food will help clear the dust from his throat and stop the snot .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS