Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigmy x golden guernsey  (Read 14357 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Pigmy x golden guernsey
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 10:31:16 am »
or why not try a rare breeds farm park (they usually have other breeds too besides rare ones) and they are likely to be well handled goaties.  At the Carlisle auction recently Walby Farm Park (carlisle area) were selling Alpine goats.  Watch out for non rare breed parks though, our first were from a 'family park' and they were very nervous and were climbing the walls, a nightmare to catch and deal with, after 2 years of trying with them we sold them to a different 'family park'.  We do like goats though and bought some registered pygmy goats as fun really, but now looking for something a bit more 'serious', due to get some Bagot rare breeds any day now but won't get much milk from them, just like them.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 12:04:46 pm »
Think they still have those two female billy kids for sale on preloved....hate to think what the milk would taste like! ;D
   Have you tried http://www.ukgoats.co.uk/index.html ? There are usually some nice goats on there even if for some reason people don't put up photo's

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 12:07:27 pm »
Think they still have those two female billy kids for sale on preloved....hate to think what the milk would taste like! ;D
   Have you tried http://www.ukgoats.co.uk/index.html ? There are usually some nice goats on there even if for some reason people don't put up photo's

:roflanim:  oh that's made me feel sick too actually  ;D  Hmmmmmm - whole new line of soap for me though...not!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 01:16:14 pm »
when I was talking to a tourist about making soap I was actually asked if the soap was made from the billys milk and cheese from the naanies milk!!!!!!! ??? She was a professional woman as well so not too daft.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 03:57:15 pm »
when I was talking to a tourist about making soap I was actually asked if the soap was made from the billys milk and cheese from the naanies milk!!!!!!! ??? She was a professional woman as well so not too daft.
:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 04:17:53 pm »
I just found a cross breed milker on preloved (GGXTogg) looks lovely!! and they can sell you a little friend to go with her. 3L a day on twice daily's.   I'm almost tempted!!  But no....we have enough animals now, we have enough animals now, we have enough animals now.....(If I keep saying it to myself I might believe it  ;) )
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 04:28:32 pm »
I just found a cross breed milker on preloved (GGXTogg) looks lovely!! and they can sell you a little friend to go with her. 3L a day on twice daily's.   I'm almost tempted!!  But no....we have enough animals now, we have enough animals now, we have enough animals now.....(If I keep saying it to myself I might believe it  ;) )
[/quote

is the seller of that a woman called sally g ?? i went to have a look at a trailer she was selling but too small...would you say she was a breeder to buy off? she has the gg pigmy crosses aswell that i have seen and also turkeys for xmas lol

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 06:34:28 pm »
Carl - if you can buy disbudded/polled goat(s). Just lots of them advertised on either Preloved or Ukgoats still have their horns...
It will just make your life so much easier!

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 08:03:14 pm »
Carl - if you can buy disbudded/polled goat(s). Just lots of them advertised on either Preloved or Ukgoats still have their horns...
It will just make your life so much easier!

Thanks Anke..taking all the help I can to help me on my journey :thumbsup:

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:00 pm »
If you want a milker that a) gives you reasonable amounts of milk, and b) is easy enough to handle for a beginner and/or chldren, then any crossbreed from Swiss-type stock would be ok - if coming from a reputable breeder and registered with the BGS (or pedigrees of the parent stock available). Maybe not too much British Alpine in her though -

What should I know about British alpine that the breeder didn't tell me........I have 2 and find them delightful, do they have another reputation altogether......?   :thinking:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »
If you want a milker that a) gives you reasonable amounts of milk, and b) is easy enough to handle for a beginner and/or chldren, then any crossbreed from Swiss-type stock would be ok - if coming from a reputable breeder and registered with the BGS (or pedigrees of the parent stock available). Maybe not too much British Alpine in her though -

What should I know about British alpine that the breeder didn't tell me........I have 2 and find them delightful, do they have another reputation altogether......?   :thinking:

I would just describe British Alpines as a bit more "challenging" for someone who is new to goats that's all. They are probably the most active breed, it's very hard to breed a very good BA. I would also say they are very standoffish- they aren't as friendly and affectionate to us people as some of the other breeds. Though in all honesty, you can get standoffish goats in all breeds, so maybe that's just my impression of them...  :innocent:  My one was standoffish!

Beth

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45:23 pm »
British alpines also have strong Houdini instincts.  They love to escape.  My Curry is a Sanaan xBA and when he was younger I had to block up the tiniest of holes or he would be trying to crawl through.

Anke, If I had my pure Sanaans mated with a BS, would the resulting kids be BSs?  I'm hoping to find another pure Sanaan near me but it's not easy.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 09:58:41 pm »

Anke, If I had my pure Sanaans mated with a BS, would the resulting kids be BSs?  I'm hoping to find another pure Sanaan near me but it's not easy.
I think so. Beth will correct me if I am wrong.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 10:30:13 pm »
Really depends on the breeding of the BA doesn't it? :)  You can't seem to get the shorter deeper type anymore which tended to be steadier.Nowadays they tend to be leggier and more inclined to jump which I think belies the AN that was often added.Then again you don't find the shorter stockier BS either.Its worth a search though

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2012, 07:32:47 pm »
I'm glad I didn't read all this before I got them!  :-J  SO FAR We have had no Houdini incidents and they are as friendly as - in fact it was their calmness and friendliness that sold them to us; they were the only ones that came over to see us at the Agri Show we were at.  But then again there are always breed anomolies.  I really wanted a GG but were told they can be "fragile".  Although, having said all that I have just got back from the milk shed with NO milk (in my bucket that it is! But it is all over the shed floor) and a very skittish nanny...maybe it's the wind.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS