Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed of my micro pigs?  (Read 17157 times)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Breed of my micro pigs?
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »
Scott - I'm not trying to start an arguement & I think we agree on most things here, but ...
There are many of us seen some appalling conditions that some pigs have been kept in, in an attempt to "create" these "micro-pigs" - I'm glad to hear that you have seen some that have been in a better environment.
As most folks are aware - the "micro-pig" craze has made things difficult for many of us KK breeders - I know that both myself & Karen have turned-away more potential buyers than we have sold to, who have wanted to purchase piglets from us, due to their ignorance/naivity about how to keep "pet" pigs.
We have also seen the heartbreak of "micro-pig" owners who have paid ridiculous amounts of money for "pets" for their children, only to be desperately trying to re-home it (usually for free) before it's a year old. 
As I've said before, I see nothing wrong with x-bred pigs - many of them make great pork/production sows.  I personally would prefer that folks kept rare & registered pigs, but each to their own.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »
i don't want to start an argument  or a fall out  but have you read your post Lyn
you cant condemn pet pig owners on another thread   and wanting them banned from shows     then condone this practise on this thread   and complain about the micro pig breeders taking sales away from kunnie breeders       come on Lyn how do you expect to be taken seriously :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 08:06:32 pm »
i don't want to start an argument  or a fall out  but have you read your post Lyn
you cant condemn pet pig owners on another thread   and wanting them banned from shows     then condone this practise on this thread   and complain about the micro pig breeders taking sales away from kunnie breeders       come on Lyn how do you expect to be taken seriously :farmer:
Now I'm really confused  ???  - where has Scott's posts gone from this thread  ???  I know I've been asleep most of this afternoon, but I'm sure I didn't dream-up the bloke with the tiger avatar  :tired:
Robert - what I said was a direct reply to Scott's post & now I can't find it - what is going on  ???
I do not condone the creation of "micro-pigs" I think it is cruel - to both the animals (on health & welfare grounds) & the new owners (on both their emotions & their pockets).
Nobody should be appearing to support this "craze" - including show committees.
As for sales - these "micro-piglet farmers" have certainly not affected me as a KK breeder in that way.  I love my KKs & I do not see them as a profit-making activity (ask my OH on Friday ;)  - she has to fund my hobby) - it just makes things very difficult, time-consuming & usually upsetting when folks contact me wanting to buy the "wee furry piglets" under the misconception of how to keep them/care for them because of the "craze". 
I breed KKs for the love of the hobby - I aspire to breed good, breed confirmation pigs & enjoy showing them & being part of the "piggy community".  My health means I cannot cope with the bigger breeds.  I only register piglets that I think meet the BKKPS Breed Standards.  Some of my piglets are bought as "outdoor pets" in the loosest of terms, I have never sold an uncastrated piglet & probably about half of the piglets I sell go for meat production to local smallholders & farmers, who come back each year for another 2 or 3.
Hope this makes sense now  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

bangbang

« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 08:36:17 pm »
Your right Beewyched...where is Scott?..

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2012, 08:41:30 pm »
Thanks Bangbang  :thumbsup:  I was really beginning to think he was part of my fibro-fog  :eyelashes:

robert waddell

« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »
some runts  do survive   but the hundreds of pigs that we have produced  they either die before weaning  or go on to be   every bit as good as the fatties in the litter   all be it at a slower rate
the micro breeders are to be complimented on there marketing ability  and the buyers naivety but like some breeds of dog they are the must have thing and stuff the price    they are here and until they all die out we will have to put up with them      if anybody is making money from pigs other than micro ones   they will be the exception  or somebody is funding them without there knowledge

we have never sold a pet pig or at least not knowingly (since we concentrated on bigger pigs)    but then again they are all our pets until they go out the gate

i really don't think trying to persuade show committee's not to have them on display or even competing is the way forward  better trying to do the same as Mandy does  and i do a similar talk to people that are asking about them :farmer:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2012, 08:59:56 pm »

"Scott" has left the building. He wasn't "Scott" and he was a little naughty. Last word on this, I shall say no more, because he may be back in a different, legitimate guise and I don't want to make a big deal of it.

robert waddell

« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2012, 09:08:33 pm »
i suppose that must be the biggest problem running a web site      but we all have ip addresses unless they run them through a hidden address  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS