Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed of my micro pigs?  (Read 17164 times)

BigManBlack

• Joined Aug 2012
Breed of my micro pigs?
« on: August 24, 2012, 03:35:32 pm »
I was wondering if anyone could identify the breed of my pet micro pigs? The farmer I got them from was none the wiser and a farmer friend has suggested they may be kunekune but I'm not so sure, from a litter of 6 none of them have the wee dangle bits!  :D Anyway any guesses appreciated. :fc:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Breed of my micro pigs?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:11:43 pm »
I have two registered Kunekune sows and neither has dangles (piripiri) 'nor has any of their offspring, come to think of it. I don't mind, there's not much meat on a piripiri :pig: :pig:  As to what goes into their makeup, I have no idea and others on this forum are probably either revving up or having a strong drink ;D ;D  before replying :o :o  As long as you didn't pay stupid money for them or are thinking of breeding them and charging people stupid money, what matter as long as they give you the pleasure I get from my girls.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 04:52:42 pm »
well big man there is no such thing as a micro pig      some are sold at up to £700 each they are usually a kunnie crossed with a pot belly pig    not all kunnies have the pirries the boar if it has them will pass them on to his offspring      if you trawl  through this list of postings on pigs there is plenty on these non existant pigs    sorry to be bearer of the bad news :farmer:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 04:56:10 pm »
here we go! :excited:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:58:21 pm »
it was fairly obvious from the OP the owner knows here is no such thing as a micro and wondered if any of you edumacated people could guess at the cross of his much loved pets...

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:05:21 pm »
if we could have a bigger picture it may help      i did indicate that there was pot belly    maybe not clear enough   in them        if any of you ever get the chance to talk to Wendy scudamore ask her why there are two distinct sizes of kunnies  and also how the litter numbers have more than doubled in the last decade      no the poster said micro pigs :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:45:51 pm »
Putting the whole 'micro' debate aside  ::) :innocent: (Just better off not going there  :relief:)

We need a better photo ! Can't hardly see them - they must be micro's after all  ;) :roflanim:

The bellies look fairly low slung to me - more a pot bellied trait than a Kunekune trait  ;)
Do you have any face shots ?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 06:00:59 pm »
is that one in the profile piccy?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 06:20:56 pm »
is that one in the profile piccy?

Well, I'm sure it's not BMB  :innocent:

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 06:27:51 pm »
"We need a better photo ! Can't hardly see them - they must be micro's after all  "

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 07:28:17 pm »
 :rant: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 - nope it's not working  :furious:
THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS MICRO-PIGS

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

LandieMan

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 09:52:39 pm »
Kune kune is the smallest pig breed. Your micro pigs are runts of runts I am afraid. This is why sometimes their offspring  grow to be proper pigs.

bangbang

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 09:58:00 pm »
I dont have a micro -pig but ....I've got a micro wave.!. :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 09:59:07 pm »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 09:15:08 am »
BigManBlack, don't be put off by replies on here, there have been several long (and often hilarious) threads on micro pigs on here. I was told by someone that my Kunes were far too big to be genuine and had too big litters. I don't care, I love them dearly, their weaners sell pretty well and make good pork.
I hope you DIDN'T pay a stupid price for them :o  You can tell us :) 
Just how big are they, by the way, from trotter to shoulder?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS