Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pietrains pigs kill weight?h  (Read 3190 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Pietrains pigs kill weight?h
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:42:07 pm »
Hi again
Just wondering if anyway who has reared Pietrains (albeit they are crossed with Saddlebacks) what was the weight they reached when you sent them off for slaughter? I last did some GOS x Saddlebacks and they were between 110 a 100 kilos?

Regards
WP

robert waddell

Re: Pietrains pigs kill weight?h
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:45:19 pm »
depends on there age depends on what they have been been fed on  the same weight is possible and beyond :farmer:

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:49:10 pm »
I weighed them today using the trusty tape measure and calculated at about 50kilos, and we are guessing they are about 4 months old at the moment but will get a clearer idea once we have done the registration bit

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:57:41 pm »
who are you registering them with :farmer:

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:06:22 pm »
As in we brought them Saturday from the market and now the forms have been done we should get some more information I assume? My friend has the CPU number and does all of that it, so at the moment we don't actually know how old they are, more guessing by their size, hence my question, so all advice much appreciated  :farmer:

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:31:26 pm »
if it is an auction mart you will be lucky if they give a date for the birth      they usually sell them as younger than what they are         i keep going on about buying pedigree but with pedigree there is the provenance of date of birth /pure bred and where they came from   out a mart it is just your Donald duck  unless you know the seller

it was just that in your first post you mentioned they are a cross with saddelback  as yet the bpa are not birth notifying cross breeds even if they are pedigree :farmer:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:05:47 am »
Hi WP, A friend of mine has pietrain x duroc (pedigree) and sent to slaughter at 6 month and was 79 kilos dead weight. You can push the pigs further but you need to have a slaughterhouse that will take large pigs. What ever slaughterhouse you are using please find out what the maximum weight is that they can take or you may have your pigs too big and refused unloading. The weight you state 110 & 100 is that live weight or dead weight?

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:56:50 pm »
So I guess I should still aim for the 100 kg live weight as before?

Another question, in fact no a new post me thinks

Wp :excited:

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:40:09 pm »
If you aim for the 100-110 kilo you will be ok.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS