Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed of my micro pigs?  (Read 17131 times)

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Breed of my micro pigs?
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 09:40:12 am »
BMB, I know nothing about pigs - micro, macro, KK, OSB, PB or anything else, but my goodness you have a good humour to put up with all these anoraks! :eyelashes:

Hey it's not my anorak   :raining:      :roflanim:

When I looked at the picture I thought it was rhino marauding across the Seringetty ..I'll get my coat

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 10:25:43 pm »

I disagree with some comments; there are such tings as micro pigs, they are not a special breed but you can get smaller pigs if the breeder does their job correctly
I would be interested to know what you mean by this comment - as to my experience with rescued "micro-pigs" the "breeders" (I think the term "piglet farmers" suits better) have kept piglets small by not feeding them correctly.  Then, when the "cute little piggywiggy" goes to be a "pet" it gets fed allsorts & not only reaches the size it's DNA prescribes, but also obese & depressed  :rant: 
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 10:34:54 pm »
oh Lyn you must be desperate to get sent to the bad baby corner :roflanim: :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 10:39:09 pm »
oh Lyn you must be desperate to get sent to the bad baby corner :roflanim: :farmer:
It'll make a change from it being you Robert  ;) :innocent:
I'm off up the wooden hill now anyway - so they'll have to wait until the morning to catch me  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2012, 09:34:05 am »

I disagree with some comments; there are such tings as micro pigs, they are not a special breed but you can get smaller pigs if the breeder does their job correctly
I would be interested to know what you mean by this comment - as to my experience with rescued "micro-pigs" the "breeders" (I think the term "piglet farmers" suits better) have kept piglets small by not feeding them correctly.  Then, when the "cute little piggywiggy" goes to be a "pet" it gets fed allsorts & not only reaches the size it's DNA prescribes, but also obese & depressed  :rant:
I'm with beewyched on this one, i've noticed at a lot of the shows we've been to this year they're allowing 'micro' pigs to be shown in novelty classes and they're penned alongside the regular pigs, the amount of attention they get from the public is unreal (the cute factor i guess). I don't like them being there as i'm of the opinion too thats theres no such thing and its misleading to the public. A trading standards issue perhaps!?
Mandy :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2012, 09:47:12 am »
we will be forming a clique again on this one       yes the cutsie factor does sell them  i know of one producer of pigs that got rid of the single colour breed they had and got OSBs for just that reason
we have had this at shows as well with piglets aw micro pigs no just young pigs but if you think they are micro pigs give us £700 for them   fork off is the reply :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2012, 10:25:38 am »
Oh dear  :o
Just when I thought we were winning the battle on this one - looks like we're going to have to start lobbying the show committees  ::)
Ok classes for cross-bred pigs - I'll even go with "cutest pig" at a stretch.  But no "micro-pig" or "pet pig" classes.  It's in the name - gives Jo Public totally the wrong impression :rant:

robert waddell

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2012, 10:33:55 am »
hold on there Lyn    some shows are struggling to get entries so if they can get more entries that the public want to see then more money for them       i would go easy on the committees if i were you   cross breeds well yes that was what they had at caithness show       you are a kunnie breeder   they are perceived by some as the very pig you are trying to ban :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2012, 10:39:49 am »
hold on there Lyn    some shows are struggling to get entries so if they can get more entries that the public want to see then more money for them       i would go easy on the committees if i were you   cross breeds well yes that was what they had at caithness show       you are a kunnie breeder   they are perceived by some as the very pig you are trying to ban :farmer:
Roberts right, some of the very small shows we go to are glad to have them so its a bit of a rock & a hard place, all i tend to do is sneaklily  :innocent: say to people who are perusing the micro pigs is that did they realise they could grow as big as my girls (Januaries"!), then they go reeelly and i nod sagely oh yes and slink away! ;D :innocent:
Mandy :pig:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2012, 10:42:31 am »
 :rant: But  :furious: ...
Kune Kune are a BREED & the same as any other pure-bred pig, they can & should be registered.
I have no problem with x-bred pigs ...as long as they are healthy.
THE PROBLEM IS WITH FOLKS WHO PRODUCE "MICRO-PIGS" & no-one with any consience to animal welfare should be doing anything to promote this cruel carry-on (apart from ripping-off naive folk  ::)  )
AND if folks mistake KK breeders for "micro-pigs" maybe we're not doing enough to educate them  :rant: :rant: :rant:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2012, 10:43:58 am »
 :-[  sorry Mandy - I've x-  :rant:  you again  :-[

robert waddell

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2012, 11:25:15 am »
give me a short time with you on friday lyn  rather than  :roflanim: :rant: :hug:  on here  :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2012, 11:31:20 am »
give me a short time with you on friday lyn  rather than  :roflanim: :rant: :hug:  on here  :farmer:
As long as it is a SHORT time  :thumbsup:  not a "micro-minute"  :roflanim:

robert waddell

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2012, 11:45:38 am »
i just go by hampshire time :roflanim: :farmer:

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2012, 12:19:00 pm »
   all pigs are destined for the freezer   some just get a stay of execution  either to breed or show

Or to get a lifetime of cuddles!  :) More chance of me going in the freezer than my  :pig:  in all fairness!!!  :love:
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS