Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed of my micro pigs?  (Read 17162 times)

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Breed of my micro pigs?
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 11:30:59 pm »
When I looked at the picture I thought it was rhino marauding across the Seringetty ..I'll get my coat

BigManBlack

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 12:07:22 am »
Well that sums it up pretty conclusively for me!!  :P I believe my little pigs are a pot belly x kune.  I have never intended to breed with these particular pigs, they were bought entirely for a hobby/pig keeping training and to cultivate/fertilise land prior to planting. I realise the importance birth notification and precise lineage records, however as these little family of undesirables were destined for a farmers freezer I decided they'd serve a purpose with us.

Thanks muchly everyone  :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 06:50:37 am »
I think they look lovely, in a piggy way, whatever breed they are. Hope you are enjoying them - bet they are teaching you lots  :thumbsup:

HappyHippy

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 09:32:30 am »
Looking at the face, I'd say more pot bellied than Kunekune  ;) Kunes are cuter  :D :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 09:38:36 am »
beauty is in the eye of the beholder  ;) 

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 10:14:10 am »
And aren't all us KK breeders beautiful Robert?  :eyelashes:
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 10:35:56 am »
all pigs will root  unless you wire there noses     all pigs are destined for the freezer   some just get a stay of execution  either to breed or show

funny you should mention that beewyched     (it will be all your fault)      with a woman that is drop dead gorgeous   every forker is wanting to get into her pants       the same with men  remember the Levis advert girls
then there was the tale of the dead ugly highly intelligent man that married the thick beautiful woman  hopping there children would take the mothers beauty and the fathers brains    tough tits on him they got the fathers looks and the mothers intelligence :roflanim: :farmer:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:04:35 am by robert waddell »

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 11:06:48 am »
i did try to get abe into pigs    well he had all that rough ground   and pigs would have thrived on it and trashed the wilderness as well :excited: :farmer:

BigManBlack

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 01:53:43 pm »
Aye, they've got quite a bit of woodland area over there, I know of another farm that has (maybe had, he was trying to sell them to me!) some pigs but they were struggling to sell them.... think it was the son that decided to start with the pigs but was saying because he didn't have a contract with a big firm (Scotlean) he couldn't get rid of them??  ??? Surely that's just a case of poor planning?? I am putting together a plan and will hopefully organise to sell them through one of the local butchers/maybe even set-up an on farm butchery :fc:. Need to work out all the risks/costs involved.

Rosemary, teaching me hunners. Never kept pigs when I was growing up, only sheep and cattle. I have really enjoyed my lessons with them!! Altho very easy to see where the saying pig-headedness comes from!! Btw I have been laid up with a bad knee injury so may have a belly like the pigs but facially I think they're still much cuter!!

HH, there farm shop/tearoom that my mother and brother work at have a couple kunnies, ugly buggers so they are!  :-J ;) I've got millions of snaps, I'll get some more on here for you, 'runts of runts' can be cute too!!  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 02:17:17 pm »
that may well be the same guy i was referring to surly there cant be two farmers from the same area making the same mistake
the big pig producers and marketing company's don't want to be bothered with small scale producers    and just try and produce pigs at there price :roflanim: you will stop before you have started

you are limited by your abattoirs either dunblane or ardrossan     ardrossan will buy them from you but i don't think the price is in your favour    better trying to get your own outlets      butchers can be very funny with pigs they just don't want whole pigs like they used to   also no use trying to sell into the gorbals     blanefield or similar areas is your target areas

a dedicated cutting plant can cost up to and beyond £30000     but with a bit of searching  and ingenuity it can be done for less than a third of this :farmer:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2012, 02:34:16 pm »
Yup, need better pics. Most likely KK with pot bellied, but there could be a rhino in there somewhere  ;D 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

HappyHippy

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2012, 03:06:45 pm »
HH, there farm shop/tearoom that my mother and brother work at have a couple kunnies, ugly buggers so they are!  :-J ;) I've got millions of snaps, I'll get some more on here for you, 'runts of runts' can be cute too!!  :)
I didn't call them runts of runts BMB  :innocent: and yeah, they're kinda cute - all pigs are IMHO  :love: :pig: :love:
Not as cute as this though  ;) ;D ;D ;D  :-* (I'm only teasing btw  ;))
Karen  :wave:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 03:20:02 pm »
BMB, I know nothing about pigs - micro, macro, KK, OSB, PB or anything else, but my goodness you have a good humour to put up with all these anoraks! :eyelashes:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2012, 03:48:21 pm »
i will stick up for you Karen   it was not you that called them runts of runts    both of us have been through this before on other threads   it was landie man  that said it    quite correct though  but runts do grow to equal there original size   normal pigs can get up to 350 kilos easy and have heard of even some well in excess of this weight   commercial sows all exceed this weight

the quality's that BMB has are lacking in others   that is why some newbies take the cream puff

anoraks Annie anoraks  can you still get them   a good job it is not computers we are talking about  or we would all be geeks :roflanim: :roflanim:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2012, 03:54:11 pm »
anoraks Annie anoraks  can you still get them   a good job it is not computers we are talking about  or we would all be geeks :roflanim: :roflanim:
Well I still have one!  Mind you it IS dayglo yellow, so I stand out in a crowd  :roflanim:  Mind you I do that anyway, anorak or not  :eyelashes: :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS