Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed to keep pure?  (Read 5778 times)

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
Which breed to keep pure?
« on: July 01, 2012, 09:27:57 pm »
I have 2 poll Dorsets and a Lleyn ewes. I am currently looking into purchasing a ram and unwanted to know which breed people thought would be best to keep pure?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Which breed to keep pure?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »
The Dorsets, for no better reason than they're cute looking  ;D

But seriously, since a Dorset is a terminal sire, using a Dorset tup would give you pure Dorsets and also good meat lambs from the Lleyns.

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »
Totally agree with Jaykay tho I may be so bold to mention maybe even using a Charollais sire on both Lleyn and Poll Dorsets. Now those WOULD be some stunning lambs ( I know and am totally biased 'cos that is exactly what I have :o)  )
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

Deere

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 10:42:09 pm »
After seeing the results from a Charolais ram on our pedigree Lleyns this year, I'm off to find one for my lleyn's next year!

Tim
Pedigree Ryelands, Charolais cross Mules

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:48:52 am »
Charollais x Lleyn Shearling Ewe - you gotta love them :o)

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 08:42:41 am »
Thanks for the pic that has given me food for thought! Thanks Jaykay I have been looking at a Poll Dorset ram but thought I would put it out there for opinions!

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »
Charollais' are a very popular breed at the moment and there are some very high prices being paid for tups. At Worcester this weekend the bidding was going sky high so be careful and don't get screwed over on price.
But i agree a good cross to have.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:35:05 pm »
I like my Lleyns pure.

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Gunnermark

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 06:11:09 pm »
That pic has thrown a spanner in the works Castle Farm!

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 06:42:34 pm »
I'll be honest.... I just love sheep full stop and would have Llleyns pure, Lleyn x Charollais, Llleyn x Poll dorset, Poll Dorset x Charollais, Charollais pure and Poll Dorset pure by the hundred if I could  ;D

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 10:26:54 pm »
I've got pedigree Charollais ewes and they make a fab cross with my Ryeland ram.  Not that it answers the OP question but just thought I'd add a bit after seeing Charollais posts  ;D
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 10:11:30 am »
Ok I can resist no longer.

The Charollais tup should give you small birthweight, easy lambing, get-up-and-go, fast growing, solid lambs.  Ours are smaller and barer at birth than the Texel cross lambs, but grow faster and in some cases better, reaching target weights and top grades as soon or sooner than their Texel x peers.  The fleece ('skin' as they call it up here) will be improved (made thinner and 'tighter') by the use of a Charollais tup too - and for selling finished lambs liveweight in the ring, this will add value.

The only thing to watch with a Charollais, if you are likely to have cold and wet weather at lambing, is that the lambs can be too bare and unable to withstand prolonged cold and wet.   A plastic mac will help, but some can be so bare that they'd need a little rainhat too and maybe a warm waistcoat...  If you would be in this category, then the trick is to get a tup with a lot of wool on his head.  His lambs are likely to be less bare than those of a smooth-headed tup.  We've had two Charollais tups; the latest has a carpet on his head  ::) and has sired only a few very bare lambs, which we can manage with little macs and the occasional night in for the odd family who need it.

Oh, and the tups may need sunscreen on bare skin (face, lower legs, maybe belly) if you are in a region where you get proper sun in the summer...  (we're not, I've only ever had to do this once.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 10:35:35 am »
Seems to me someone could make a good living breeding a line of Charollais with sufficient fleece! If you could make them less ugly-pink too, they'd then be the perfect terminal sire  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 10:46:46 am »
Seems to me someone could make a good living breeding a line of Charollais with sufficient fleece! If you could make them less ugly-pink too, they'd then be the perfect terminal sire  ;)
Eye of the beholder, eye of the beholder...  ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 10:47:18 am »
 :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS