Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed to keep pure?  (Read 5827 times)

Mallows Flock

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Shepton mallet
    • Somerset Pet Sitting and Dog Walking
Re: Which breed to keep pure?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »
Seems to me someone could make a good living breeding a line of Charollais with sufficient fleece! If you could make them less ugly-pink too, they'd then be the perfect terminal sire  ;)
:o Ugly pink??????????? LOL. I had to hide my girls' eyes from that post! they are my BEAUTIES!!!!
So basically, we are all agreed. Charollais' are absolutely WONDERFUL!
Mine did ok with macs on this year but we havd lovely weather in March. Llugwy farm do some amazing lamb coats... I am investing in some for defo!
From 3 to 30 and still flocking up!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2012, 06:02:30 pm »
I will defend myself by pointing out that I used to keep Rough Fells, some of the most beautiful of sheep  ;D My Shetlands are not as pretty. Better shut up before I offend anyone else  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 06:18:00 pm »
I will defend myself by pointing out that I used to keep Rough Fells, some of the most beautiful of sheep  ;D My Shetlands are not as pretty. Better shut up before I offend anyone else  ;)
Quite.  And you have Muscovies too.  Mrs Pot.   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2012, 06:18:57 pm »
Did anyone mention the fact that poll dorset can be put to the ram anytime of the year. Handy if you want autumn lambs!  :thumbsup:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 09:05:58 pm »
No Muscovies any more, they've gone to another home as they were terrorising my calls and runners.

Partly accidentally, as they were practising their wings and would flap them energetically, thereby propelling themselves at high speed along the ground straight into a peaceful flock of ducks!

But also on purpose, they pecked the calls and had pitched battles with assorted hens. So they have gone to a much bigger lake and waterfowl collection where hopefully they will fit in better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS