Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stupid me! Sad day  (Read 18739 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Stupid me! Sad day
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 12:35:01 pm »
Oh, I'm so sorry.  :'( :'(  My ducks were just my wee pals, I didn't show them, but I show my dogs so I feel for you - an added misery level. :(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

AllenFrost

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 12:39:52 pm »
Sorry to hear about that.  That situation has been my biggest fear about raising chicks.  Since I sometimes get back from work quite late, I installed a solar powered, light activated, automatic pop door on my coop.   The chicks go in before dark and the door closes about 30 minutes after dark.  It then opens at dawn before the chicks and I am up.
I also have my mobile coop, which I move about the pasture for free ranging, surrounded by solar powered electric netting fence to keep out predators, so they have double protection.  I still go out every morning to feed and water them and do a head count, just in case.  Raising animals can be a rewarding task and sometimes heart breaking but we still love it.

cooped-up

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:16 pm »
Thanks,we have seen this before but nothing takes the shock away, didnt get the chance to shut them in  :-[

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 12:53:29 pm »
I installed a solar powered, light activated, automatic pop door on my coop.   The chicks go in before dark and the door closes about 30 minutes after dark.  It then opens at dawn before the chicks and I am up.
I also have my mobile coop, which I move about the pasture for free ranging, surrounded by solar powered electric netting fence to keep out predators, so they have double protection. 
That would cost a fair bit of money over here in the UK (I see you are in the US), and I dare say if many of us could afford it we'd do just the same.  My ducks would have been safely enclosed in a dog cage and shed unit had I remembered to shut them in it.   ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 12:56:14 pm »
Dodanjo, it is devastating and we really feel for you. If you would like some eggs to incubate, you are very welcome to them  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 01:47:15 pm »
Dodanjo, it is devastating and we really feel for you. If you would like some eggs to incubate, you are very welcome to them  :)
Thank you, I've had a number of similar offers.  I'm going to build a new run first before I decide what I'm going to do - the old one will be rested and resown.  Off to buy grass seed today.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »
ive resown where my last chooks were, and its grown like a b......d, loads of nutrients in the soil.

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 11:12:09 pm »
Really sorry to hear this  :(   I hope someone gets rid of the fox (es).

I had to stop mine free ranging in the daytime. Now I've moved they are all in heras fencing pens again. Not fox proof, but I'm hoping with being shut in at night it's enough to keep them safe.

I've forgotten a few times too to close my coop doors, but not been as unlucky as you, hope you get some other ducks when you are ready.
Lynn :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 11:39:04 pm »
I installed a solar powered, light activated, automatic pop door on my coop.   The chicks go in before dark and the door closes about 30 minutes after dark.  It then opens at dawn before the chicks and I am up.
I also have my mobile coop, which I move about the pasture for free ranging, surrounded by solar powered electric netting fence to keep out predators, so they have double protection. 
That would cost a fair bit of money over here in the UK (I see you are in the US), and I dare say if many of us could afford it we'd do just the same.  My ducks would have been safely enclosed in a dog cage and shed unit had I remembered to shut them in it.   ::)

http://ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Electronic_Doorkeeper.html
Not cheap, no, but for peace of mind for those who have the odd night when you can't be back or might forget, Ascott charge £155 + VAT for the complete light activated, automatic pop door system. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kitchen cottage

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 08:06:47 am »
 I am so sorry for you.  I lost some chickens to Mr Reynard and I felt so guilty for letting them roam too far.  I have one free range (Emily) who seems to outsmart him but all the other hens are in a run. 

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2012, 08:49:57 am »
http://www.foxolutions.co.uk We are trying this at the moment and since putting it in have not lost any birds, we have had 11 duck and three hens taken in the last month and I watched the fox go through the stock fencing.  'fraid it has a lot to do with fox hunting being banned, also I have heard that some urban foxes are being rehomed in the country side that is why they are not so shy
Julia

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2012, 08:53:57 am »
AllenFrost had solar powered netting as well as the automatic door. Don't think I'd want to rely on solar powered anything here under The Fell where even when it's sunny down the dale I have a cloud!

Automatic doors are good for chooks, who take themselves to bed when it gets dark. But ducks often don't, so they're good for letting ducks out later in the morning so that they've laid before they go out, but someone still has to be around at night to herd them in. At least ducks will herd.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2012, 10:25:03 am »
I was thinking that about the solar powered stuff - not much good here in Scotland either, and my shed isn't close enough to the house for electricity to be installed without a fair cost.  So it's back to the old DIY system - keep an eye at all times possible. 
Still debating whether to have more ducks or not - I now have about 20 eggs offered and 2 drakes.  Either way the pen must be made first and that depends on when my son has time to spend on it as well as the other jobs I need done when he comes to visit - apart from just wanting to chat to him! ;D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2012, 10:31:31 am »
Yes, go for it. Otherwise the b£#%€¥ fox has won  :-*

You've got some ideas to make sure it won't happen again.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2012, 12:21:18 pm »
There does seem to be an awful lot of foxes around this year i usually spot one or two  but lately we seem to see them almost daily and in different areas, really bold just look at you and say  " so what you looking at!!". At night they are screaming all the time.
Time for some control methinks, got a young lad who shoots rabbits around here i wonder if he might hang around one night and take a few foxes

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS