Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stupid me! Sad day  (Read 18742 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: Stupid me! Sad day
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 07:45:45 pm »
Really sorry to hear that. We've lost half a dozen ducks to foxes in both the last two winters and it is gutting.

At our old place I would always  close the curtains as soon as I came in from closing the chickens up and it worked really well as it became habit  to get up to close the curtains as it got dark and then stop, go out and lock the chickens up and come back in to finally close them. It doesn't work out here as we are in the middle of nowhere and don't really bother with curtains unless its cold so now I have a permanent alarm set up on my phone to nag me, currently it goes off at 9.42pm precisely.

I've also got Khaki's (as well as Aylesbury's and some Appleyard youngsters) and have been hatching this year so if you want any eggs just let me know...

nettelein

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 08:01:51 pm »
 :'( so so sorry for you :'( It breaks my heart each time I hear of another fox attack.
Lost my lovely ducks in January the same way............

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 08:06:43 pm »
Yup, I have the phone alarm set to remind me too. Previously, I forgot a couple of times but luckily got away with it as we do have foxes round here.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 08:25:33 pm »
Very sorry to hear about that Doganjo. My wife reminds me most nights that it's getting dark and it's time to put them all away. We had an attack Christmas Eve in broad daylight and it was back next day, so an electric line went up as well as the fences being repaired. Pretty sure one comes round from another direction every night as well -seen him and the footprints in the snow. He walks round and checks every coop and run from a distance without breaking step. Then jumps back over the 5' 6" wall where he came in without touching it!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 08:34:00 pm »
In general my dogs aren't loose where the hens are or the ducks, but I try to remember to let Skye out every now and then to 'water' the houses. Think it helps keep the fox at a distance, I find the remains of eaten things in the fields but not often any evidence too close to home. Maybe the goats help too, they are around both chook and duck houses?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 08:49:42 pm »
My dogs are out in the front paddock every day, hasn't stopped him.  Allez sometimes used to break into the run and retrieve them to me.  They had got used to it so perhaps they didn't make much fuss when Foxy went in to their shed.  Anyway, they haven't died in vain, two of them are in the freezer for retreiving practice. ::)

Not suer whether I'll have more ducks or not.  Andrew has very kindly offered me eggs from their offspring, and Robert and his wife, who I'm hatching pheasants for have said they'll get me a drake as a thank you.  Time is  healer they say.  We'll see. :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 08:58:18 pm »
Oh, bad luck Annie  :bouquet:  It's a horrible horrible thing to happen - but we do all go through it.  {{{{hugs}}}}
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 11:58:51 pm »
Bloody foxes  >:( . So sorry  :bouquet: . That's the trouble the damn things are so clever, one little mistake and they are straight in there.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

Emmam

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 08:44:24 am »
So sorry to read this.  Son put his chicks on the lawn in a run for some fresh air and son found fox sat on top of the run in broad daylight, bashing the run to try to get to them.  Our collie chased the fox off.  One chick died of fright.   He had passed through a paddock of sheep with their lambs to get to the chicks. >:(   I know that he would be feeding his young but don't want him to eat our young in the process....  Local gamekeeper came up and sat in field the other night for a few hours but no luck.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 09:25:40 am »
Know how you feel  :bouquet: so sorry.  Lost 20 bantams to the foxes in daylight attacks this year >:( , and have chased one out of the garden myself.  Had an attack on a lamb too.  Gamekeeper put in a fox trap for me - and we haven't seen one since  ::) . ..but I know they are still there...waiting.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 09:29:55 am »
My Dad uses a fox trap which Mum regards as a complicated way of feeding foxes dead chickens.........

This thread is getting me nervous, my birds free range over a couple of acres. Will keep on with letting the dogs wander and hope the foxes round here are more respectful of dogs than some of the ones encountered in this thread  :o

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 09:38:13 am »
A fox took one of our hens from the patio in broad daylight. We think it's a vixen with cubs so she's desperate for food. I used to love watching my hens cluck around the garden, but now i have to leave them shut in for their own safety. i'm even worried to let them out when i'm there cause the garden is overgrown and i'm worried sly fox will slip in and get one.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 09:58:31 am »
My thoughts are with you....the evenings are so long at the moment that to get the ducks in is a just before bed thing...and when you are already in your jimjams not an appealing walk outside. Your post has made me more determined to do it as I lost all my last years ducks to Mr fox when they were at the same age as mine are now.
If you have found all the youngsters Im surprised that you havnt found Mum and Dad as they are so heavy. Foxy usually only takes the lighter birds to ease the getaway!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »
If you have found all the youngsters Im surprised that you havnt found Mum and Dad as they are so heavy. Foxy usually only takes the lighter birds to ease the getaway!
Nope, no sign.  If they were in the front paddock Allez would have found them.  Jemima wasn't a big duck but Jack was a large Swedish Blue drake!  Very handsome and I am so sorry to lose him.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cooped-up

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 12:30:36 pm »
Sorry to hear about your loss Doganjo
Mr fox paid us a visit last night about 7 lost 3 including little silver wyandotte which won a first at show on sat
gutted
long night tonight waiting with gun  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS