Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chicks eat polystyrene  (Read 2140 times)

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
chicks eat polystyrene
« on: June 10, 2012, 12:53:44 pm »
Why oh why would mother hen be teaching the 6 chicks (now 4 wks) to eat polystyrene????
They love it. I have been collecting the tubs from the local restaurant and using them for storage, table bases, worm farms etc - not pretty but useful and free.
But the chicks are eating it and I guess it won't digest and might just sit in the crop forever???  Maybe that's why one is so much smaller than the others maybe it's crop is so full of polystyrene it can't get enough food in.
Aaarrrrgggghhhhh!

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: chicks eat polystyrene
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »
My hens love polystyrene as well. Can't understand it at all. They free range so have access to all sorts of interesting food and grit. The adult hens have managed to eat quite a lot of polystyrene before I took it away from them, and suffered no ill effects. Not quite sure about chicks though. :fc:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 02:00:01 pm »
mine did this too!! stoopid articles.

katog

• Joined Jan 2011
    • The Veggie Patch
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:27:26 pm »
They are not too bright - nice but dim.

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:06:51 pm »
I put a chunk of polystyrene down the side of our brooder box to stop any chicks going down the gap, changed it pretty quick when I saw them all trying to eat it! That was a couple of weeks ago and they all seem to be fine and growing on well  :fc: . I cant imagine it tastes very good  :P .

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 08:41:26 pm »
Hopefully it will not have impacted the crop or fatally the gizzard and they will pass it through as they grow.  Our hens ate all the insulating foam off the sections of polytunnel left on the lawn waiting to be erected. I had to spend £10 replacing it all!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:04:39 am »
Well beat this..When we had our conservatory built, the hens came up on the decking and ate all the mastic out of the frame. They pulled it out in 6 inch lengths and gobbled it up as if it was a worm. We just couldnt stop them, they loved it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS