Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fuel .....  (Read 18920 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Fuel .....
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 03:40:25 pm »
Anyone remember YEARS ago when Sugar was very scarce. I remember being at the checkout of our local small supermarket with my mother and she was asked in a very low voice"Would you like a bag of sugar?" It was so scarce, it was only being sold to regular customers. Im sure also in years gone by, there was a loo roll shortage, although my OH cant remember this. Can anyone?

I remember this clearly. It was early 1982 when I was expecting my younger son. His Godfather, who he was named after was mate on the sugar boats. His run was Barbados to London, unload and turn around back to Barbados. They expected to be in London overnight. Whilst the "sugar shortage" was on he had time to come down to Cornwall to visit us. Why? Because the warehouses were full and they couldn't unload ::) That was the "shortage" The price of sugar went up then and never came down!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 11:47:06 pm »
Anyone remember YEARS ago when Sugar was very scarce. I remember being at the checkout of our local small supermarket with my mother and she was asked in a very low voice"Would you like a bag of sugar?" It was so scarce, it was only being sold to regular customers. Im sure also in years gone by, there was a loo roll shortage, although my OH cant remember this. Can anyone?

The toilet roll shortage was in 1973/74.  I was working in Woolworths' and used to take my empty roll from home and swap it for a part used one in the staff toilets.  Hope no one from Woolies is reading this.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 08:02:08 am »
Pardon me, it was 1978 when I was expecting my younger son and the sugar strike was on......I think :-\ :-[

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 08:11:52 am »
I think it was early 70s when the first sugar crisis hit cos I was still living with my parents. My mother was a hoarder (worked in london through the blitz) and a serial jam maker so she started the crisis with 117lb of sugar. That wasn't panic buying, just lousy stock control.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

deepinthewoods

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:04 am »
last week i was paying 139.9 today i paid 149.9. im about £5 a week worse off.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2012, 11:31:29 am »
DITW, thats a huge increase. Is that from the same garage?

I got petrol on Sunday at £140.9 (why do they bother with the .9?) but on my journey from Wales to Surrey saw prices at 137.9 in Hampshire and it varied across the route with the highest at £148.9

Lowest prices were at Morrisons and Tesco in Fleet.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 03:10:47 pm »
Once more we are being treated like mugs while the govermeant cashes in as usual. I still have not got fuel but will not be driving all over to try and find some. Hope my local filling station gets some soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS