Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fuel .....  (Read 19018 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Fuel .....
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 07:36:11 pm »
I found some diesel, gone up 5p a litre ::) I won't give in to profiteering so I panic bought to the tune of £20. Then I thought how not so many years ago to put £20 in my tank would have been a HUGE expenditure and how many folk can't afford to "panic buy" Those who buy their fuel in five quids worth, enough to get them to work and back. How will they fare if this strike does come about? :-\

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2012, 07:41:57 pm »
things must be bad when ... you lot are talking about putting £20 in, at the moment all we can manage is a fiver at a time (I walk 5 miles to work everyday)
Got some very narky looks yesterday as two of the pumps at the garage were empty & there were cars queuing up to road, we just parked up by the empty pumps & I strolled into the shop smiling at all the cars to top up the electric key!
Little Blue

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2012, 07:47:06 pm »
nearly ran the hilux out of diesel today. went ot 4 places and none had diesel.  just remembered a small village garage and they still had some diesel but reckoned it would be gone by 3. what is going on with the place? has everyone gone mad?
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2012, 08:46:49 pm »
I've had it with all this. Instead of buying fuel I bought a little buggy to go on the back of my bike so that I can cycle to the station with all my clobber, lug it onto the train and go home for a £5.50 train fare at the end of the week instead of the £25.00 it costs me in fuel currently.

Whilst a strike hasn't even been called.....I refuse to kowtow to paying more into the revenue or get swept up in the national panics that will - no doubt- get more frequent as time goes on.

It's tipping point for me.......

If yours is the same as mine, if you strip off the canvas and add 'sides' you can pull 2 bales of hay and a sack of sugar beet nuts with one of them kiddie trailers ;D ;D
Pleased to say that things aren't too bad here fuel wise, but as I don't drive it hasn't affected me yet!
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2012, 09:07:13 pm »
there is no strike. no quing up here. come on do we listern to this goverment on any thing else.

Bangbang

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2012, 09:22:37 pm »
No fuel problems yet ( Banffshire ) and no Q's.
Up here it seems to be a case of - can't be bothered waiting...
The only Q's I've witnessed are when 'last orders' are called. ;)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 10:27:12 pm »
I have half a tank of fuel left. One garage in our town had fuel. Our small holding is 25 miles away and due to no rain, I am filling 4 x 25l water containers twice a day to water the animals. I have no idea what to do when the fuel runs out. Public transport is out of the question due to lugging a lot of water around.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 10:47:50 pm »
i'm not bothered i'll trundle round on me tractor full o' red!  ;D
Ha ha - but do be aware that to use red diesel for non-agricultural travel is an offence, even in a tractor.  We have heard of people ticked off for driving an empty tractor and trailer home on the road from an implement sale, having dropped off items to sell in the sale field.   ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 11:13:45 pm »
I filled up on Wednesday in Telford Town Centre, not realising what was going on.  There were signs out saying no diesel.  My full tank will last me the month or more.

Today my friend came to see me but was very late because she had been queuing to get onto a roundabout and off on the first exit.  The reason?  On the opposite side of the roundabout is a Shell garage and the queue went right round it.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 08:05:51 am »
I am off to my sisters 60th birthday party. A 4.5 hours drive each way. Lets hope I can find some petrol along the route or else we will probably get there but won't get back.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 12:58:50 pm »
YET EVEN MORE TAX

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 01:30:03 pm »
Anyone remember YEARS ago when Sugar was very scarce. I remember being at the checkout of our local small supermarket with my mother and she was asked in a very low voice"Would you like a bag of sugar?" It was so scarce, it was only being sold to regular customers. Im sure also in years gone by, there was a loo roll shortage, although my OH cant remember this. Can anyone?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 01:41:19 pm »
Lol Tizaala. Some wag had written on the blackboard at our local pub 'beer tanker strike soon, drink more beer now'  :D

Don't remember those Mary, were they local or national?

robert waddell

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 01:58:46 pm »
i remember them and the salt shortage as well :farmer:

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 02:47:30 pm »
i was travelling back from coventry to alloa yesterday and i had about 350 miles worth of fuel in my tank (journey is 320) unfortunately due to traffic i didn't have enough and the fuel light came on whilst still south of glasgow so i decided to find fuel the first 2 stations i went to had no fuel and the 3rd by which point i was quite worried only had premium diesel at 161.9 i put in £10 to get home...

I'll fill up at one of the supermarkets tomorrow... hopefully.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS