Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fuel .....  (Read 19017 times)

robert waddell

Re: Fuel .....
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:00 am »
have not been to any garages in the last week so cant comment on the central Scotland situation
making your own diesel from cooking oil is a relatively easy process BUT YOU HAVE TO BE LICENCESED FROM HMRC   they shut a lot down in Scotland recently that were not legal
the majority of drivers just get £10 of fuel at every visit  it does not seam to much money and in case it gets syphoned out    they were the first to fill up so little surprise that sales jumped
it would not be me queuing for 5 hours i have never qued for even half an hour so wont be starting now
as to tanker drivers when it was the fuel company's that employed directly they were the most sought after jobs that were going only death or retirement created a vacancy and there pensions were first class
but times change and maybe not for the better   the driver that was interviewed last night should have alarm bells ringing at vosa and the licencing agencies with the hours he was claiming to work to earn 45 thousand a year
every mention of a fuel shortage blockade or strike can shut the UK down in a matter of days and brings the UK that bit closer to a peoples revolution far to long has the rich been in control and when mere commoners get to that position all they can do is fill there own pockets :farmer:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 10:45:02 am »
I went to get at Gardenstown on my way home from work this morning but they had none. i only put in about £25 a month and never thought to fill up incase there was a strike. what a carry on.  :o

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 11:26:43 am »
I don't usually go for conspiracy theories, but I heard David Cameron on the News telling people to 'top up whenever they have the opportunity'  which will instantly increase the length of queues and turn a possibly small disruption into a major chaotic fiasco.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 11:47:34 am »
Having said that I would go by bike in future, that plan is going to take a while to come online so I am still driving to Wales and back at the weekend and had to fill up yesterday evening.

I have to say - there was no queue.... but then again - it was a local Shell garage and therefore not offering the best prices. I think the main issue is at the supermarket pumps.

Even without the strike, there was always a queue at the Shrewsbury Sainsbury's on the bypass because it had the cheapest petrol.

We filled up all our gerry cans when Iraq was proposing to blockade the Straits or Hormuz a couple of months ago. DH is now using it all to rotivate the middle field!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 12:04:32 pm »
We dont go far but being a bit out of the way wouldnt like to be completely without fuel. Nearest place to fill is about 9 miles away so we always top up if we are out and about. Hubbie called into Welshpool yesterday. Didnt have to wait at all and yes they had diesel!!!

Obviously no panic yet in Mid Wales ..... everyone I know is too busy with lambing!!!  ;D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 12:15:13 pm »
Plenty of diesel out where i live but it's BP and its the dearest around, a few of my colleagues who come from the town tell me its mental at tesco's etc with townies panicing that they won't be able to take their kids 100 meteres to school in the car  ::) or drive round mindlessly for hours in the out of town shopping centres!  ::)
Country folk seem to be able to cope better, seems to be more panic by the townies. They're filling everything and the kitchen sink. Did anybody see the news item about the lady in York who set fire to herself decanting petrol in the kitchen by a lit gas cooker! ::) ??? OMG. What was she thinking of.
The govt has caused a right auld panic.
i'm not bothered i'll trundle round on me tractor full o' red!  ;D
Mandy  :pig:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 12:27:39 pm »
Obviously no panic yet in Mid Wales ..... everyone I know is too busy with lambing!!! 

Same in Llanidloes/Caersws/Llandinam  ;)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 12:27:48 pm »
Two different people said to me yesterday "This petrol panicking is ridiculous. Why are people doing it? "Then went on to tell me they had filled up just to be on the safe side !!!!
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

robert waddell

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 12:47:18 pm »
cant do that Mandy naughty girl even thinking about that :farmer:

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 12:50:42 pm »
Why are people doing it ?
Testing , testing , testing .  The wheels are coming off the system , and tptb need to know exactly how successful their behaviour insight dept has been ,thats the governments mass control (brainwashing) dept , it really does exist !
The government needs a focal point to take away the attention of the ever increasingly unsettled uk public .
So far it is working !

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 01:06:46 pm »
have just got back from collecting an e-bay purchase in Worscester , diesel £1.49.9 ltr , petrol £1.44.9.  but none available as they were all sold out. Good job I filled up yesterday , I still have 3/4 of a tank left that will do me 3 weeks of normal use. ???

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 02:19:09 pm »
I would like to panic buy or even buy calmly, as I'm down to my last gasp, but everywhere is sold out :o

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 04:23:29 pm »
Those that are panicking just go to show what may be just around the corner , brain dead arseholes .
I feel for those who are affected by these idiots , but it makes no difference to me at all .
Without any feeling of smugness , i am so glad i am not part of this insanity that is modern society , 'they' can keep it .
 When will people realize they are being played like puppets ?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 04:39:18 pm »
unfortunately for me petrol is my second largest weekly expense at around £75. in 2008 i was paying 89p/l now its 142p/l, the school run is 40 miles a day, let alone work! i do hope all these panicky sheeple sort their heads out, im hoping all theyre tanks will be full and they wont be buying over the weekend so i can go and stock up!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 06:57:42 pm »
Yes , i feel for those like yourself Dave . You get your life held to ransom by brainless d*ckheads , that's the twats who go round panic buying and the twats who cause the problem ( Cameron et al ) , by playing political games .
Now he is 'relaxing' the law on how many hours the tanker drivers may drive per day . Allowing them to drive 11 hours instead of 9 hours . A law that was put there for safety reasons .
 So forget safety and work longer hours because Cameron is a twat and has not got a feckin clue !
 But maybe working the longer hours won't affect safety ? Then why restrict them to 9 hours in the first place ?
Cameron has been eating too many pasties , especially as the last one he ate , earlier this year , (and he remembers it was a large one !) , seems to have been made by a company that ceased trading 5 years ago!
Oh , and he ate the pastie  the last time he was in Cornwall on Leeds train station , wtf ? TWAAAAAAAAAAT !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS