Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Toggenburg Wethers - would anyone like one?  (Read 12505 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Toggenburg Wethers - would anyone like one?
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:52:17 pm »
My goat is due to kid this weekend. We have a back up plan for boys in that a friend of hubby's will take them at 3 days and raise them as meat. I cannot raise them for meat myself.

However, the thought of Puffin having a boy or  two and then an empty paddock after day 3 doesn't sit all that easy with me. I have 4 small children who are so happy to be having kids and please don't get me wrong, I do appreciate that I should be teaching them where meat comes from and being slightly more 'grown up' about it (me, not them) but that's just how I feel  :-\

So...If they are boys, what are the chances of me being able to sell them at a later date as pets once weaned?  They are from the Willowbank herd bloodlines (Miss Ogden's goats are very well known and very beautiful!)

Please don't eat me alive for being a wuss!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Re: Toggenburg Wethers - would anyone like one?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:17:49 pm »
That's terrible. What a pansy.  ;D ;D ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 03:58:18 pm »
You're entitled to be a wuss.  don't listen to anyone who says otherwise.  ;D  Seriously, you have your views and I respect that.  If you are planning on keeping them entire, you will have to separate them fairly early on or they'll be after their mum with evil intent.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 05:08:44 pm »
Thanks Dizzy -0 you've just given me a laugh, I needed one  ;D

yes, I'd castrate so they'd at least be safe to be around until sellable age.

I think I've broken my foot, am sat here with it tightly bandaged trying to avoid a&e. and trying not to swear between my tears  ::)  how can I be such a muppet to do this 5 days before my goats due date and when I have 3 bottle fed 10 day old lambs to look after  :'(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 05:50:30 pm »
I think I've broken my foot, am sat here with it tightly bandaged trying to avoid a&e. and trying not to swear between my tears  ::)  how can I be such a muppet to do this 5 days before my goats due date and when I have 3 bottle fed 10 day old lambs to look after  :'(
Get yourself to A&E mrs  ::)
Yes, I know what a pain it'll be, but you'll be patched up and back to normal in no time, compared to leaving it to it's own devices to heal for god only knows how long :-\ And with possible long term pain and problems in old age - you know better  ;) Get down and get it sorted  :bouquet:
I can't send reiki - it's not recommended for breaks  :(
Karen x

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 05:52:15 pm »
Oh no, what have you done? I broke mine 9 years ago, it was excruciating. As soon as it was in a cast I was completely fine and able to walk about normally. Luckily it was my left foot I broke, I swapped cars with my dad who has an automatic.
Poor sausage, hope it's ok. Keep us posted. Chin up.  :-*

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 07:23:29 pm »
I think I've broken my foot, am sat here with it tightly bandaged trying to avoid a&e. and trying not to swear between my tears  ::) 

Tssssk! What have you done?
Hope its an interesting story ..... unlike mine which is "took wellies off, washed hands, turned to get towel, ******* 'ell that hurts!!!"  So, probable stress fracture to bottom of big toe, no point x-raying as it won't show up until its healing apparently.  ::)
Its absolute agony ... so you have my sympathy Plums   :bouquet:
Little Blue

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 07:37:47 pm »
I might be in Worcestershire next Fri/Sat/Sun if I am I'll pm you and if you want I can come help out and do heavy stuff for you!

In the meantime, have a looky at this site, it may be a good place to find potential homes for your boys ;D
http://www.harnessgoats.co.uk/
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 08:08:56 pm »
Hey PE hope you got yourself sorted, hope your ok - I think is up to you what you do with your offspring - There's no right and wrong - it's a personal thing - if it was possible I would be sooooo tempted to keep lots of kids but I just can;t and people want them so it works out all round - that's not to say it's a bad thing
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:36:29 pm »
I second getting to A&E - once you've got a cast on it, if appropriate, it'll hurt a lot less  :-* It's my constant fear, damaging myself and then who would look after my animals  :-\

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:39:57 pm »

There must be something in the air, my usually very well behaved tup managed to knock me sideways butting my knee, fortunately I fell against the gate and so was not on the ground. not broken or anything, although there was a strange sound when it popped out (and then back in again), and I can just about bend it again (thanks to double-doses of paracetamol and ibuprofen).... that means I am terribly late with my heptavac for the sheep, as I can only do it this coming weekend... I am now also using a stick when going into the boys field.... oh and two goats due to kid in the next two weeks...

Re  male goats/wethers - it would be very unlikely that you would get someone to take them on as pets longterm, unless it is a farm park or similar (that's where my two GG boys went last year, but they were meant for the freezer...). You could try and sell them to someone for meat later, even if you wouldn't be eating them. But that is very difficult too.... so really I don't know what advice I could give you, other than that you are between a rock and a very hard place.... with only one goat to kid chances of only male offspring are quite high...

another possibilty would be to bring in another female kid (and bottle feed her), if you only have males, and sell your male kids as planned... - JUST DON'T GIVE THEM NAMES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!

Hope your foot is getting sorted!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:14 pm »
THanks all. Lots to think about. NOt been to A&E because my dear husband has walked out on me leaving me with 4 children to try and sort out. could today get much worse?! probably not. somehow got to get the girls to bed and hobble up to the lambs to feed them, have had enough  :'(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 08:49:51 pm »
I'm not surprised you've had enough, what's he doing heading out and leaving you to it with a damaged foot  ::)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:55:04 pm by jaykay »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 08:50:22 pm »
THanks all. Lots to think about. NOt been to A&E because my dear husband has walked out on me leaving me with 4 children to try and sort out. could today get much worse?! probably not. somehow got to get the girls to bed and hobble up to the lambs to feed them, have had enough  :'(
|What?  Permanently?  Chin up Plums, have a moan to us. :-*
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 08:54:50 pm »
Huge row. no idea where he's gone. have had enough! so much rubbish going on at school with a mad parent who keeps ranting at my daughter its just caused an arguement.
He doesn't want all these animals so I normally just get on with caring for them anyway which is fine but its him that wants the boy kids to go at 3 days and I find that too harsh  :'(  sorry, shouldn't be blethering on really!

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS