Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccinations prior to kiding  (Read 2840 times)

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
Vaccinations prior to kiding
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:02:04 pm »
HI there - this is my first year with Kidding goats, have sheep also and I was wandering if I should vaccinate with CD/T vaccination - one of ours is about 2 weeks before shes due and the other 3 - 4 weeks is it an essential vaccine - hoping to learn from the weathered goat owners...im sure its a yes, but thought it'd be worth asking :)
thank you  :goat:

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Vaccinations prior to kiding
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:09:22 pm »
I did mine with Lambivac 4 weeks prior to lambing  ::) kidding  :thumbsup:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:16:40 pm »
Have your goats been vaccinated with Lambivac or Heptavac before (double dose?), if yes a booster anbout 4 to 6 weeks before kidding is all hat's needed (and from then on every 6 months or so).

If they haven't (or you don't know) I am not sure what the best way forward would be, as they need two doses 4 to 6 apart to become immune in the first place (same as sheep).

If they have been done before, just do both of them asap for their before-kidding-booster.

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 09:34:31 pm »
Thank you thats a great help - we were given them from a lady who couldnt cope - they had all the animals under the sun and came to us quite wild - theyre tamed now - i guess i should pop into the vet and check it out, i think i may have left it too late??!!  is there any other essential vaccinations i may not be aware of ?? Learning all the time, but their health is top of my list and want my ladies to be happy goaties :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:24:15 am »
Hello Poppy!

Sounds like your goats have come from a similar background to my own when I got them.  Do you have any paperwork with them pertaining to any vet/medical treatments they have received?
Have they been CAE tested do you know?  Worth getting them screened.

Other thing to consider is worming status. We wormed our girl within 24 hours of her kid being born because they are more vulnerable to it at that time according to our local goat club which I go to monthly.

Good luck with it all, it sounds like they have a lovely new home!!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

poppy2012

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:14:45 pm »
thanks for all your help - have phoned the vet and ordered a 5 in1 vaccination for the mums and the kids when they arrive.
Thy have been wormed, so when the kids come they'll be all healthy and happy!!

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS