Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what ya doing this weekend?  (Read 31718 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: what ya doing this weekend?
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2012, 08:27:21 am »
My god its another weekend - I may attack that pile of mail I've had on the dresser since christmas. May not though as I know its going t be a world of pain and telephone calls.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2012, 10:03:37 am »
good luck everyone, i'm off into the garden now with a bit of a hangover. coffeeeeeeeeeeeee may help me thinks!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
Well so far today I have FINISHED!!!! the espalier post and wire arrangement for our apple trees. DH helped and we have tidied up all that side of the driveway so it's going to look really smart from now on. The builders have been told that they can't put anything on that side.

Went to town and managed to speak to the second hand tool man without buying a billhook (a first I think  :D)

Moved wood from old wood store to new wood store and cleared old wood store area in preparation for a lean-to which will be coming next week.

Did chickens, walked around site and persuaded my husband that we needed to change the warm utility room into a pantry. A PANTRY!!!!  :love: :love: :love:

The whole place is a glorious mess but it's SPRING and it hasn't rained today so something's good  :D :D
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2012, 06:27:54 pm »
had a great day today, but not finished yet!  ;D
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2012, 06:50:32 pm »
And - to cap it all Mussels in garlic sauce were on offer at the Co-op today so we are just about to tuck into them  :D :D :D

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2012, 06:58:52 pm »
Time for me to have a pizza and then a power nap - never did open that mail.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:20 pm »
off for a pint of cider now. tomorrow will just be planting a few things and cooking a pot roast chicken!  :chook:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:09 pm »
Tomorrow:

Do seeds! jeez - I'm really late with the toms and everything.
Water the polytunnel again
Move the raspberries
Finish mulching the apple trees.

Go back to Lichfield at 5.30 ready for work on Monday.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2012, 08:12:20 am »
The weekend started bad - I finally found a dentists who could see me before the end of March - Thought I was talking to the receptionist until she sat me down and dived into my mouth with a drill - agony - but she gave me a local after.
Proof read my daughters dissertation and looked up how to calculate Cronbachs Alpha !! Sod that was!
My face pain was better in the afternoon so we searched for the Fosse. Our toilet packed up last week. We dug a search trench ( like on time team) and found a potential Fosse. Dug a massive hole to expose what I thought was a metal lid protected by old plastic bags. Underneath was a metal pit- coffee pots, tools and tractor parts. Filled the hole !!
The OH found a soil pipe - then the lid of the Fosse. Dug it all out then the lid blew up to confirm it was VERY FULL.
Killing 2 pigs next week - so hung 4 hooks from wooden beams in barn - cleaned ceiling, walls and floor. Removed all the unused building materials and wood to another barn and brought back a long table and another worktop to do the butchering on.
Had mussels for dinner with spaghetti in a chili tomato sauce - then 4 episodes of "One foot in the grave"  :thumbsup:
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2012, 08:21:36 am »
Taking my mum (63 years young with advanced MS and early onset dementia) to a respite home today.  Just 7 nights that we have to self fund ourselves but its a holiday for her and it gives me chance to get a quick breather before PUffin is due to Kid next w/end.
Means I can deep clean her annexe area before she comes home too which will be a nice surprise for her  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2012, 08:22:50 am »
Underneath was a metal pit- coffee pots, tools and tractor parts. Filled the hole !!

Oooh you are good!!! Hubby would have spent the whole afternoon picking bits out and saying " ooh - you could weigh this all in you know....." That's how he justifies the plies of rusting metal we have lying about the place  ;)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2012, 08:14:56 pm »
had a cracking weekend, downloading pics as we speak!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2012, 07:58:17 am »
Glorious day Sunday. Did all on list except mulch the rest of the apple trees. DH finally ovcame his reluctance with the rotavator and got to work on rotavating the new vegetable patch. The soil is OK and this week he is going to mark out all the rows and plots and everything. Then we were able to move all the raspberries to their new sunny position. I hope they take to it. I tried to dig as big a rot ball as it was possible to carry.

We've finally worked out a way to get water to the polytunnel so I put about 600 litres into the beds and moved the worms outside. Did all the seeds - including about 100 sweet peas! (got a bot carried away there). 

Feeling really positive about things today.

Sandy

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2012, 08:41:41 am »
To me today is like a friday as its the last day my hubby works and now all the pups have gone and our guests are low maintainance soooooo, after the men come to put the chimney pots on, I am going to clean out the chickens and do some gardening and plant some more herbs and flowers in the garden...last year I made a big mistake of not reading lables or marking what I planted, I put what I  thought were lettice and they looked strange so never got eaten and the flowers were very very tall and looked silling in my hanging baskets.  I hope the weather remains dry as it makes life easier!! So for me, tomorrow is my weekend!!!!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2012, 08:48:41 am »
last year I made a big mistake of not reading lables or marking what I planted, I put what I  thought were lettice and they looked strange so never got eaten

Oh god!! - I so know that  :D :D

We bought an "Italian mix" a couple of years ago........ same result. I picked some and hubby said "this is a weed - and if it isn't then I'm not eating any more".

End of story!!!  ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS