Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what ya doing this weekend?  (Read 31685 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: what ya doing this weekend?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 04:17:55 pm »
Willows planted, wood unloaded, all building cr4p moved from the apple-tree side of the driveway verge so I can get on with the mulching tomorrow.

Still to do - mulching, setting up the espalier poles, water polytunnel, collect compost..... hope I get it all done tomorrow  :P
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 11:45:12 pm »
Got up at quarter to eleven, milked and fed goats, goat changed and drove to Cheshire to meet daughter and family.  Had lunch is a very nice cafe then mooched around for a few hours, came home, had dinner, milked and fed goats and then relaxed.

Ah well, I'll have tomake up for it tomorrow.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 08:28:10 am »
got up all bright and ready to get to it and i have water logged ground everywhere!   ::) looks like it might be a slow wet day! glad we got so much done yesterday!

.................so it goes.............................
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 08:38:42 am »
bottle fed lambs, went to goat club meeting with my 7 year old (who sat very still for 3 hours and learnt lots!) bit of shopping on way back, fed lambs again, out for a meal, fed lambs again. bed!
pretty much same today apart from including ironing enough school uniforms for 4 small children, helping with homework, mucking out chooks, taking 5 year old to a party, cooking a roast and trying to not heave over the smell of lamlac.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:14 am »
I've just discovered the first column on the forum shows a box to illustrate I've already posted so will get much more done today. Usually spend hours daily going through topics to see which ones I hadn't posted on or read  :dunce:
Off now to walk dogs then hen house cleaning. Turn one lot of compost then start in house as looks very heavy sky and rain will be here soon.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 10:55:31 am »
Not done much yet - I work Saturdays, and always feel too knackered when I get back home, after doing the week's shopping as well... (Not that the job is at all strenuous, it's just the feeling of "being at work"!)

Anyway, must make jam today - frozen fruit that my friend wanted to clear out of her freezer before the new lot arrives. And sort out compost in garden, when it stops raining. And get the parcel packed that I meant to send to another friend for Christmas... :-[ 

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 11:59:32 am »
..........................that's it! had to stop work cuz of the rain. coming down sideways. even with my belstaff still wet and cold! so i thought i would just get inside and out of the rain and have a cuppa tea, now it's snowing big wet flakes so really i am glad i am not a sheep!.............................. :D
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 02:11:48 pm »
I've just discovered the first column on the forum shows a box to illustrate I've already posted so will get much more done today. Usually spend hours daily going through topics to see which ones I hadn't posted on or read  :dunce:

I suspect we each like to do things our own way (!) but in case it's helpful I'll share how I like to take my TAS.  I mainly use these two pages:
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?action=unreadreplies (which you can also get to by clicking on 'NEW REPLIES' on the top menu) - lists all topics in which you have posted where there are new posts you haven't read.  Click on the little (new) tag to be taken to the first unread post in the topic

and

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?action=unread  (which you can also get to by clicking on 'UNREAD POSTS' on the top menu) - similar to the first but includes all topics, not just those in which you have posted, where there are new posts you haven't read
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 04:16:48 pm »
Plums!! Why is the smell of Lamlac making you heave? Have you got a secret to share? :)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »
what is lamlac?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 04:43:50 pm »
Thanks sallyinnorth
Just tried your advice and have 2 pages of each to look through.
Great advice, tho will take the rest of the afternoon viewing.........oh well housework can wait  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 05:10:05 pm »
what is lamlac?
Plums!! Why is the smell of Lamlac making you heave? Have you got a secret to share? :)

Lamlac is the powdered milk we make up to feed to our orphan lambs. The smell of it is enough to make me heave!! Oh Sylvia - Noooooooooooooo!!! 4 little girls is enough  ;D  I actually am starting to think I have an allergy to the stuff, it gives me a headache, makes me feel sick and i get a tight chest!! Roll on kidding time, I'll have goats milk to feed these lambs with  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 05:17:32 pm »
Didn't get as much done today as I had hoped. Mulched about two thirds of the apples and watered the polytunnel. Got about half way through the espalier project (but it is by far the worst half) before the drill bit broke (due to me trying to wang it around too much because actually I need a slightly bigger bit for the wire tightening screws to fit   ::))

But - on the redemption side I did manage to stake and spiral some of my husband's hedging whips and sorted all the recycling so.....

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 05:36:12 pm »
lamlac on the other side of its journey makes me heave. :)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 05:53:04 pm »
lamlac on the other side of its journey makes me heave. :)
Do you know what Baz, I'm sure I stink of lamlac on that side of its journey non-stop currently!!  My 7 yr old and I got in the car earlier and India said "ewwwwwwwwww mum I can smell sheep wee" and I said "Ind, I think that's us!!"  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS