Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meishans  (Read 28266 times)

robert waddell

Re: Meishans
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »
china is an importer of pork   vast tonnages   they are or have imported breeding stock from the UK and most probably the rest of the world  UK expertise will go out to china to improve there own production as has happened with other developing farming nations            if the meishans were that good what are they importing UK stock for    bigger carcase weights ?    quicker growth to killing weight ? cost less per kilo to feed ?
the cutsie factor does not come into it unless the intended future owners have money to chuck away
but look on the bright side if you cant move them on  you will be dining like a lord    yum yum :farmer:

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 07:53:59 pm »
Robert, i have no doubt that i will move the first few litters as I already have quite a few people wanting to know about the litters etc some serious enquiries through this forum and once they are marketed I expect them to move quickly at least the first couple of litters  But thank you for your concern. As for the chinese etc etc, I couldn't give a fig about why or where or whatever reason they are not keeping them, the sow and boar originated in Austria and Gemany by the way. It is of no relevance to my project therefore why should I concern myself about the reasons behind why the chinese do things. I'm really not doing this project to worry about carcass weight or how quickly they grow or how much it will cost me to feed them ( I already know that anyway), you are not in pigs 10 years and not have an idea as to how much it will cost to feed them. But it is kind of you to show your concern about such matters, however I think you are rather missing the point as to why I am bringing them over. Its not to make thousands, which I doubt I will anyway, its not to improve carcasses from other breeds, believe it not, I am actually doing it because I can and I like the  pigs and judging from the messages I have been receiving so do other people. Has for cute, I would say the piglets are cute, but nah not the parents  :D

Anyway I think that will do debating the meshians, its getting boring now and we are not achieving anything by it. I will answer any  serious questions about them, but I'm finished arguing points with you Robert - sorry ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:08:21 pm by Rispain »

robert waddell

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
strong words rispain
how can you determin the cost of feeding them you don't even have them yet
i don't criticise your record in pigs so why do you criticise me
i have done costings on what it takes to feed the pigs that we have chosen to breed
and we have done comparisons on liveweight gain with other breeders also foreign
maybe i am missing the point of your importation  maybe your fig reference sums it up
but they don't stay piglets for ever as the micro buyers found out :farmer:

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 08:20:35 pm »
 ::)

Bioman

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 09:30:07 pm »
I agree withRobert entirely. Openly criticizing his records on pig keeping and being sarcastic is wrong.

If you are so blasé about why the Chinese are getting rid of there Meishans, surely you're on a fools errand. Novelty will make you money for a few years and then all of a sudden there will be no buyers. Wading into a smallholders forum is probably not the place to start for a farming revolution: many on here are passionate about rare breeds and the conservation of them as you sort of are (breeding your own rare breeds for 10years) and sort of the antithesis of. The Meishan only threatens our heritage and our way of farming by dilution.

You may know the growth rate (even if you don't have them- stats and figures are all well and good but practicality of these figures are more often than not cods wallop,) but as I have done research on the breed the breed it is re-known for it's breeding prowess but very little else- in fact they have been steadily decreasing in popularity in the USA because they are so fat and are so slow growing. The commercial boys out cross with Landrace and other commercail breeds to form the Meidam which is frighfully fast growing with massive litters, this however isn't what your project seems to be doing. Introducing a breed for "the hell of it" just seems wrong as the breed is in no threat of extinction or any other threatening circumstance.

If your going to have any popularity, slamming people on personnel grounds on the internet is not the thing to do. Slinging mud isn't the answer.

On you point about they are meat pigs and then the posted photo of the meat- it isn't marbled, it's fat, glowing fat. I'm all for, fatter meat than the supermarket stuff but I like to have something red. It is laughable.

The Meishan is a novelty breed and will inhabit a similar role to that of the Pot Belly Pig unless you want to start a vast breeding scheme or have someone willing to do it with your two sows  ::) And anyway it's already been done.

If it was to the benefit of the breed as in it was at risk of dieing out, or had something to add to british farming then I'd be all for it. Unfortunetly it fulfills neither.

I wasn't going to post anything but when you answer logical questions and worries with utter balls, you sort of get what you've just read.

I don't mind if I get barred for my closing statement:

I would normally wish you the best of luck but instead I hope it fails miserably

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 09:41:08 pm »
First of all show me where I criticise robert and his record keeping, i haven't even mentioned about how he keeps his pigs or his record keeping.  I can show you quite a few times where he is being sarcastic to me in an underhand way. Farming revolution, where on earth do you get that from. I put an advert up about the meishans, nowhere did I put I wanted to change the world of pig farming. I expected interest and debate,but this ......and show me the mud slinging for goodness sake. I am not going to get in row with you over the meshians, its ridiculurs, I will answer any questions, but I do not have to hand technical stuff but if you want to have information then ask me and I will get back to you. For goodness sake, does this go on with every new project or idea that dares to be put on here. As I say show me where I have slated Robert. I would like to point out that I have been breeding rare breeds for 10 years, I have organised rare breed pigs at shows where there has been none before  to promote them and we have done pig courses for over five years resulting in more new people buying pedigree rare breeds and joining the BPA, plus I have done my utmost to stop the micro pig trade including been faced with court orders for my efforts as I felt the trade was deplorable which is probably more than you have done. It is the easiest thing in the world to have a faceless go at someone and criticise them, if you want to criticise me, telephone me.  I do not feel guilty about my project and I feel very shocked that I come on here and what started as a simple advert has turned into this, although thank goodness it is only a small minority that seems to be acting in this way..

I would also like to add that I have been a member of this forum for over three years but I can't remember either my username or password due to not having been active for a while, so I re-registered under a different name with a different password. So I am  not now wading in to a forum, I waded in a long time ago.

Thank you for comments that I fail miserably, I can't really compete with that nastiness,
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:18:17 pm by Rispain »

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2012, 09:48:46 pm »
Have to admit the weaners are kinda cute but not for me I love the Tamworth and Traditional Welsh pig  :pig: :pig:  :wave:

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2012, 10:45:22 pm »
Actually I find them rather cute, in an extreme ugly way; a bit like large, lumpy, roman nosed cobs! Me I'm a Thoroughbred horse person, but blimey wouldn't life be boring if we all liked/kept/bred the same livestock.  :thumbsup:

What I don't understand is the foreign objection. Most people drive foreign cars, take foreign holidays and use foreign mobile phone/computers. Where were all you objectors when UK industry was falling to the wayside? In Currys buying a Sony TV ?

What we are discussing here is one person importing a couple of sows, it's hardly going to change the pig keeping ideals of the whole country ! Relax and enjoy the photo's ;D
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012, 07:09:05 am »
No thanks , everything foreign is being forced on us at the expence of native breeds

What's being forced upon anyone here, and how can you possibly say introducing Meishans will be at the expense of native breeds?!

It may be that over time a small number of keepers of native breeds will reduce their numbers to accommodate Meishans, but equally it may be that the continued promotion of native breeds mean their numbers will increase. How can you possibly know unless you've got a crystal ball, in which case you should focus it on the footie results and make a fortune.  :)

Thank god you weren't the one to evaluate the potential of the 'foreign' potato!  ;) :D

No , but I was right about tobacco... :wave:

Bioman

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012, 07:50:58 am »
First of all show me where I criticise robert and his record keeping, i haven't even mentioned about how he keeps his pigs or his record keeping.  I can show you quite a few times where he is being sarcastic to me in an underhand way. Farming revolution, where on earth do you get that from. I put an advert up about the meishans, nowhere did I put I wanted to change the world of pig farming. I expected interest and debate,but this ......and show me the mud slinging for goodness sake. I am not going to get in row with you over the meshians, its ridiculurs, I will answer any questions, but I do not have to hand technical stuff but if you want to have information then ask me and I will get back to you. For goodness sake, does this go on with every new project or idea that dares to be put on here. As I say show me where I have slated Robert. I would like to point out that I have been breeding rare breeds for 10 years, I have organised rare breed pigs at shows where there has been none before  to promote them and we have done pig courses for over five years resulting in more new people buying pedigree rare breeds and joining the BPA, plus I have done my utmost to stop the micro pig trade including been faced with court orders for my efforts as I felt the trade was deplorable which is probably more than you have done. It is the easiest thing in the world to have a faceless go at someone and criticise them, if you want to criticise me, telephone me.  I do not feel guilty about my project and I feel very shocked that I come on here and what started as a simple advert has turned into this, although thank goodness it is only a small minority that seems to be acting in this way..

I would also like to add that I have been a member of this forum for over three years but I can't remember either my username or password due to not having been active for a while, so I re-registered under a different name with a different password. So I am  not now wading in to a forum, I waded in a long time ago.

Thank you for comments that I fail miserably, I can't really compete with that nastiness,

::)

I apologise for my choice of words in my last sentence. However the rest of my statement I stand by. I disagree with bringing in a breed for the sake of it- simple as.

I'm surprised you thought that there wouldn't be people who would disagree with your project - as someone who has bred rare breed pigs for ten years and have organised pigs at BPA surely you knew that people are protective of rare breeds- which have a tough enough time as you know.

To your logic your not allowed to argue against something you disagree with- well there you go.

That's about it,

A faceless person otherwise going by the name of Peter

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2012, 07:59:15 am »
Well Peter, I still at a loss to see where I have criticised Robert, and I am now at a lost to see where I have put about not expecting people to disagree with me. In fact may i suggest you are not reading the posts properly, becuase if you had you would have seen this in one of my earlier posts

I fully expected some people not to agree with what I am doing. I like to think I support british but  i would just like to try this for a while. It may go tits up (am I allowed to say that :) and I lose shed loads of money but hopefully I will recoup the money spent anyway. i was taken with them when I met them on a trip, they are nice pigs albeit very very ugly ;)
S
It is hard to take your comments seriously when they are incorrect.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:04:01 am by Rispain »

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:23 am »
I agree withRobert entirely. Openly criticizing his records on pig keeping and being sarcastic is wrong.

If your going to have any popularity, slamming people on personnel grounds on the internet is not the thing to do. Slinging mud isn't the answer.

Bioman, where has Rispain personally attacked anyone? You're welcome to your personal views about the venture, and to express them here, but these statements are completely unfounded as far as I can see, and actually amount to a personal attack on Rispain.

I would normally wish you the best of luck but instead I hope it fails miserably

You should have kept that to yourself, it's most definitely not in the spirit of these forums and not the sentiment we expect from our members. >:(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2012, 08:50:30 am »
:applause: Dan  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HappyHippy

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2012, 09:20:57 am »
I'm appalled at the way some folk on this forum write at times  :(
In fact, I'm completely disgusted that this level of rudeness (hoping someone fails  >:() and unfounded accusations (I see no post from Rispain criticising Robert)  ???

Time for a reality check folks  ;)
Someone is doing something that they feel enthusiastic about, bringing 2 pregnant sows is hardly going to bring the British Pig Herd to it's knees  ::)

This used to be a friendly forum where folk could ask advice, share experiences and advertise stuff without it kicking off into a major arguement  :-\
Bring back the happy TAS 'family', instead of the bickering, one-upmanship and downright unwelcoming one that it's become latey  :o

Dan - it might be time for your big stick  :D Or perhaps a locked topic  ;) This is fast becoming a slagging match :(

robert waddell

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2012, 09:34:01 am »
Dan's statement is usually the one before somebody is banned usually me 
i do wish people would stop skim reading they miss the point of the debate and confusion sets in now i have to trawl the posts extract the points highlight them  and post

anyway back to meishans      a good point on potatoes and tobacco   but i am assuming meishans were around when the Neapolitan pigs were imported  if our forefathers did not rate them  why the sudden interest

i did ask pertinent questions  about them and did not get answers  simple ones that should have been answered easily  just to buy something because it is dog ugly  when mature is no real basis for a solid future

importing from Holland is far easier than direct importing from china but had they come from china there would probably be more confidence in them

yes Linda you did place them as an advert       some people put on adverts and get no responce i would say you have had good mileage from this this one  i think you are counting your chickens  before they are hatched  by your import dates am i right in thinking that the gilts are not in pig yet  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS