Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meishans  (Read 28274 times)

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
Meishans
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:15:05 am »
If anyone is interested, Purebred in pig meshans will be coming into the Uk around June time. Piglets will be available around october.  These are the most fertile pigs in the world and are often crossed with other breeds in the US and canada both commercial and traditional to improve litter size. They are exceptional lard pigs for anyone interested making their own lard. They also make good meat pigs with lots of marbling in the meat. They are not the prettiest but have a super temprement and are hardy.  We will be owning all the limited uk seman for this breed which will be from two different bloodlines of boars. There is a possibility that a boar from a different bloodline altogether will be available in 2013 however, until then only ai will be possible with the breeding stock.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:31:28 am by Rispain »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Meishans
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:21:01 am »
Why import pigs when there are perfectly good breeds in this country that need help like the Large Black or the Lop. Only the commercial guys want big litters, i as a hobby keeper certainly don't. When you say they will be in the UK in June surely there will be a quarantine period before you can start selling thie progeny, where are they coming from and what is the disease status of that country. Sorry to be terribly negative but things like this make me wonder about the mentality of some British people and why they can't support their own. i feel another micro pig scenario coming on except these are monster pigs from China.
Rant over
mandy  :pig:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:23:15 am by Fowgill Farm »

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:26:40 am »
Hi

no you are not negetive, we have been breeding traditional breeds registered with the BPA for over 10 years. This is our project that we want to do. There is no quarantine period as they are coming from Holland and they are of course checked and bloods taken and they go through a rigourous health test.

You also have to remember that this country exports alot of our own breeds which many breeders do regularly. and it is good that other countries are happy to receive them and do not have this approach where they just support their own breeds.

Can I just add that this will not be a micro pig situation which I hate. These are meat pigs which will go for meat and breeding.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:29:51 am by Rispain »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:35:46 am »
b*****ks people will buy them coz they're queer looking and a novelty. China has taken over pretty much everything in the world now so why not pigs!
No wonder theres 2.685million unemployed, now there'll be a few less British pigs bought. Well done Rispain another nail in the coffin for British pigs. Suppose you'll want the British Pig Assoc to keep their their herdbook! ::) as well like all the other foreign breeds that are now purported to be deemed British, but saying that the BPA's only interested in money so if you offer enough readies they'll bit e your hand off!
Mandy  :pig:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:37:45 am by Fowgill Farm »

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 10:42:40 am »
i don't think that will happen Mandy. people who prefer our own breeds will stick with these breeds. As the BPA keeping the herd book, first of all Marcus wouldn't even entertain the idea and secondly why would I want them to do it. I don't think it is necessary to start swearing to get your point across.  I hardly think it will impact on the situation with the traditional breeds which will struggle whether or not there is a different breed about. Did the mangalistas damage our breeds, not to my knowledge. I am pleased that other countries accept our pigs, I believe over twenty large blacks went to Germany not so long ago. Would you want to stop exports of our breeds as you feel so strongly that breeds should stay in their own country. It is good that breeders can export, all breeders not just our own.  :) The sort of people buying these pigs will not be pet owners as they are not suitable as pets, although of course like our traditional breeds, some no doubt will be kept as pets. They are meat and lard pigs first and foremost.  The biggest danger to our breeds are people who don't breed pedigree registered pigs and then sell them as purebred for a pittence to people who haven't done their research.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:47:41 am by Rispain »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:55:13 am »
I hardly think it will impact on the situation with the traditional breeds which will struggle whether or not there is a different breed about. Did the mangalistas damage our breeds, not to my knowledge. I am pleased that other countries accept our pigs, I believe over twenty large blacks went to Germany.

How do you know there will be no impact, somebody who keeps mangas may have kept another of the rare British breeds, the reason the LB's went abroad is probably because they can't sell 'em here! I don't agree with your export theory either, for every pig we export we import another few hundred thousand! Hardly making a dent in the balance of payments is it? Plus had you noticed on this website and many others people are struggling to sell weaners and any pig for that matter, times are hard. If people have to buy why can't the Britsh support Britain these days or is too much to ask in these politically correct times? I'm not getting at you personnally but the British psyche in general, we never support our own and thats why this country is in the S**t is in now. Pigs are just another rung on the slippery snake downwards.
Mandy  :( :pig:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:11:40 am by Fowgill Farm »

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 11:10:58 am »
Hi

I know you are not getting at me personally  :) I never thought that. You are entitled to your opinion of course you are, and I will answer your worries the best I can. I put it up just to let people know for interest and in case there are people reading this who want to know more. I knew that I would have people who were concerned, however this is something I want to do. I am quite happy that I support as much as possible the traditional breeds and everything british so I don't feel guilty about undertaking this project.

On another note, I was interested in hearing that we import a few hundred thousand, which breeds are there and where an earth of they, thats a heck of alot of pigs for every pig we export. I believe they LB were sold to Germany becuase someone wanted to start a herd over there and they wanted this particular bloodline. The breeder concerned sells LB very well over here and shows them as well so I don't think it was a case of only selling them over there becuase he couldn't sell them over here.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:16:24 am by Rispain »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 11:16:32 am »
AS you say its something you want to do and fair game each to his own. I hope it all goes to plan for you and there are no repercussions.
Best mandy  :pig:

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 11:18:35 am »
Thanks Mandy, I will post pictures of them when they come.

:)

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 11:31:20 am »
I've seen photo's of them - funny looking pigs (but I've always been attracted to fugly things  ;) ;D) interesting to hear that they are primarily a meat pig, I know someone, who knows someone (abroad somewhere) who keeps them and I was under the impression that they were more pets but I'm maybe getting the complete wrong end of the stick  ;)
Could you possibly pm me your contact details as I think I might know some folk who would be interested - certainly they'd be interested to hear there were some coming  :thumbsup:

I don't think importing 'new' breeds to the UK is going to stop people keeping the breeds already here - I kept Kune Kunes as my first permanent residents, and have since added Large Blacks, Berkshires, Tamworths & OSB's into the equation - if it hadn't been for the funny, furry little imports I might never have gone down the road I have :-\ A bit of publicity for pigs in the UK (as long as it's positive) surely isn't a bad thing and might even attract a few new keepers along the way ?
Karen  :-*

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 11:33:06 am »
Karen sent you a message
Karen the people you are talking about do keep them as pets, but they also keep all their other large pigs as pets as well, although they are now keeping some meishans back for meat. My pigs will be marketed only as meat pigs, god forbid if we start having another pet pig problem. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:42:20 am by Rispain »

chickenfeed

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:52:09 am »
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/swine/meishn/

i think i will stick to my british rare breeds though they need all the help they can get.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »
Hi

On another note, I was interested in hearing that we import a few hundred thousand, which breeds are there and where an earth of they, thats a heck of alot of pigs for every pig we export.

Commercial Danish pigs where do you think all your Danish bacon comes from and the cheap 26p a pack sausages in TescAsburys  ::)

Speaking of pet pig problem as well last night on our local news an animal shelter in newcastle was on to say they were full up and couldn't take any more, their most unusal residents were 3 so-called micro pigs - they were the size of year old GOS!!!
 Like Chickenfeed i'll stick to conserving British breeds.
mandy  :pig:
ps before any clever nelly says it i know that all pigs orignated zillions of years ago from the far east!

Rispain

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 12:09:28 pm »
yes the micro pig problem is never going to go away is it. Its a pity not more proper pig breeders got involved in the few people trying to put a stop to it. They would have been more weight behind it then.
Mandy, don't the commercial guys actually breed their own in the uk or am i wrong in this. You were talking about hundreds of thousands of pigs being imported into the uk for every uk pig exported. Am I wrong in thinking you are saying hundreds of thousands of danish pigs are exported into this country. I know we get danish bacon but I thought just the bacon etc was imported not the pigs. Surely to import hundreds of thousands of pigs like you say would cost millions, not cost effective surely to the commercial pig owner Confused (mind you not difficult to confuse me)

i have this vision now of literally the UK being swamped by hundreds of thousands of pigs coming across on boats after all if this is the case for every pig that we export and a fair number do get exported every year, to nigeria, japen, germany, US to name a few countries we would be swamped surely  ;)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:27:12 pm by Rispain »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 12:29:32 pm »
Hundreds of thousands may be a slight exageration but certainly thousands, they buy them as finished pigs and process them here in the uk then because of our pathetic labelling laws they can be classed as 'British' bacon, ham etc. Check out a pack of 'Wiltshire cured' ham for example from the supermarket it will say processed in the uk from EEC sourced meat! Legally they can call it British same as the cheapo sausages, cheap pigs from abroad kept in scurrilous conditions processed here, No wonder British pig farmers who have the highest welfare standards and keep to the EEC laws (unlike some others we can mention) have a hard time making money when this is what they're up against. People are easily duped by labelling into believing they're buying a British product Sainsburys sell a pack of Ham which says it supports Help for Heroes so you would assume it was British ham...WRONG.. its imported. If only people would spend time reding the labels on thier purchases i'm sure some people would change their buying habits.
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS