Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Possible Farrowing Problem - Advice please  (Read 4320 times)

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
Possible Farrowing Problem - Advice please
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:43:00 am »
Our GOS sow is due anytime, she has had 3 previous healthy litters with no problems.
Has been having some brown discharge for around 5 days, no blood, and not smelly. She has shown no signs of illness.
We have been watching her closely. Early this morning she discharged a lump of brown discharge, no contractions perfectly happy.
Couple of hours later after she had eaten her breakfast I found a dead half eaten (by her) fully formed piglet.
Vet has been out (there are no pig expert vets in Normandy so we probably know more than him), he has examined her and left oxytocine, releuctant to give it yet as no contractions.
All other signs are normal, still walking about eating and drinking, temperature normal, passing urine and faeces.

Any advice please

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Possible Farrowing Problem - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 09:49:14 am »
Did the dead piglet look normal (apart from being chewed) i.e. not mummified or decomposing? Sounds like a possible problem with the placenta, hopefully just for that one piglet. I'd give her a shot of long-acting antibiotic (yes, even if she seems well) and keep a close eye on her, but as you say would be reluctant to give oxytocin if she's not in labour yet

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 09:50:31 am »
what is her due date         :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:53:41 am »
Not an expert but it sounds like she may have an infection in her womb hence the discharge and expelling the body. Did he leave any antibiotics as i would give her a course as a precaution. In the meantime keep a close eye on her as she may go down hill fast, by the sounds of it she's not far off farrowing, has she milk in her teats, has her belly dropped? is she nesting, when she starts to farrow you will have to watch her as she may try to eat more piglets, make sure you are well prepared (see GOS website starting with pigs articles for details)
DOn't give the oxytocin unless she starts then stops or has no milk when the piglets are born.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 01:01:13 pm »
Due date today, has milk, dead piglet not mummified or deformed.
Has started having contractions and pushing, nothing arriving, no blockages after internal exam.
Oxytocyn given, just waiting.
Vets are discussing possible C section is that possible?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 01:11:52 pm »
I hope all goes well  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 01:22:04 pm »
never heard of a c section in pigs 
some farrow in a short space of time spitting them out like bullets         others take ages
we have never used oxytocyn in over 500 piglets :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 02:00:01 pm »
If you've not already, get some long acting anti-biotics into her - she'll need them if you've given an internal.
Oxytocin will cause the womb to contract (sometimes a second dose is required though  :-\) I've used it with older sows who were having difficulty at farrowing  :thumbsup:
If there are no blockages (did you feel any piglets ?) and she's had oxytocin just keep an eye on her .......... something will happen soon  ;)

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 09:58:20 am »
The vet took advice and last night we gave her some reprocine to encourage more contractions. Which he says is long acting.
Late last night she started contractions and needed help to deliver a huge piglet wrong way round and dead.
No more contractions, nothing found internally, Checked her every two hours during the night. Some discharge.
This morning I've cleaned her up, no secretions at all, she ate breakfast passed urine and faeces, temperature normal.

After previous large litters could she have had just 2 piglets, the half eaten one has very big also.
Could she have passed the placentas and eaten them without us seeing ?
Or could the placentas have decomposed and been discharged in a liquid form
Would appreciate more feedback as after many many farrowings with no problems from any sows this is the first time we have encountred anything like this
Thanks

Thanks

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 10:58:50 am »
There's probably going to be a hundred different reasons/trains of thought and sadly, I don't know if you'll be able to find out exactly what's caused it.
I wouldn't have thought the litter size would drop significantly after three litters unless there's been a big gap since last litter, an illness/infection/stress or she's gotten really fat (can affect the amount of eggs released)
If she was moved within 4 weeks of service it can affect embryo implantation.
If the boar wasn't stimulating her pre-service, nudging her belly to encourage egg release that could be a factor, as could diseases. Was the boar serving lots of gilts/sows ? Was it a different boar ?
Do you vaccinate for erysepilas ?
Was the whole service/pregnancy the same as the last one or has anything changed ?
It's entirely possible (and quite likely given the piglet eating) that she's eaten the placenta's. But I don't know about the placenta's decomposing & coming out as liquid  ???
Definately get anti-biotics into her, this will ensure there's no chance of an infection setting in internally.
Sorry for your losses  :'(
Karen x

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 11:24:31 am »
if the placenta decomposes you will know about it by the smell
with everything going tickety bo with previous litters  it can come as a reality check when things go wrong
you have got to look at your management  and see if you can improve it  if that is the problem
some sows just want a break or need a break    if we knew all the answers we would  pick these six balls every time :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS