Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home Slaughter  (Read 14713 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Home Slaughter
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2012, 03:42:44 pm »
I'm 'lucky' in that my next-door neighbour, although now a 'keeper used to work in the now nonexistent slaughterhouse just outside Salisbury and therefore I have a handy encyclopedia of that kind of knowledge that only costs the price of a pint.....

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 07:21:16 pm »
i wonder how much it would take to become a mobile slaughterman?

Can be done. There's some jolly good mobile slaughtering units been built. Could be owned by a syndicate of producers. Trouble is, the place where it parks up to work would need to be registered. Therefore, each person in the syndicate would need to have a designated concrete pad for parking the unit on when it was on their farm.

(I think that's correct anyway. It's quite a while since I looked into it. I might be mis-remembering).

The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 08:10:03 pm »
i wonder how much it would take to become a mobile slaughterman?

Can be done. There's some jolly good mobile slaughtering units been built. Could be owned by a syndicate of producers. Trouble is, the place where it parks up to work would need to be registered. Therefore, each person in the syndicate would need to have a designated concrete pad for parking the unit on when it was on their farm.

(I think that's correct anyway. It's quite a while since I looked into it. I might be mis-remembering).

Really? I thought the whole thing was illegal... unless I got that from somewhere saying you can't just bring someone in to kill your animals in your own buildings/facilities...

princesspiggy

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 04:39:08 pm »
when i had my sheep inspection,i asked the animal health lady (wer in scotland) and she was sure we cud easily get a mobile slaughter but it would cost us more than going to abattoir. but if u include diesel to abattoir, then diesel to collect the carcuss, then it might work out even.
id def consider it cos im sure the sheep have to wait overnight at our abattoir (as did our pigs..arghh...i forgot to check and only found out after) unless we arrive before 7am. which then means loading the night before anyway cos of dark etc.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 05:15:45 pm »
Really? I thought the whole thing was illegal... unless I got that from somewhere saying you can't just bring someone in to kill your animals in your own buildings/facilities...

I think some of the Scottish Islands may have mobile facilities -  it's not legal for Joe Bloggs with his 12 bore to come on to a holding and dispatch animals for human consumption in the back shed.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 05:35:41 pm »
There are legal home slaughtermen over here (Germany)  When he came he led my sheep away from the others....my girl was happy to go, thought it might be to a new field! He used a bolt gun and then throat slit. He also did the initial butchering...I wanted to do the latter bits. As long as none of the meat leaves my premisis its fine....great system.

robert waddell

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 05:43:47 pm »
there used to be a mobile slaughterer advertise in the Scottish farmer  but not recently
if you are selling the meat it has to be done in approved premises with meat inspection being carried out
the wording in the law is quite clear      the biggest problem is correctly disposing of the waste 
why cant they take the animals to there premises to kill rather than put on a show at your field :farmer:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 06:12:44 pm »
Glad to see you back online Robert  :wave:  Do you know what, I think I might actually use that last line when it comes to it - I will tell them that they can do it on their own land as we don't want to put on a show here on ours - That's brilliant, thank you  :)  :farmer:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

princesspiggy

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 09:28:02 pm »
see...we all missed u robert...u say it the way it is ...lol      :wave: :wave: :wave:

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 09:55:47 pm »
 ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS