Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home Slaughter  (Read 14690 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Home Slaughter
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:23:51 pm »
If someone was grazing their freezer lambs on my land and wanted to have a home slaughter carried out here, I am under the impression that this would be unlawful as its not for the land owners consumption?  I'm trying to make head and tail out of the guidelines and this is my understanding, would it be possible for someone with more knowledge and understanding than I have to clarify for me please?

I should state also that I am not happy about this happening so its not something that I will be supporting, especially as I have my own stock here who may be affected by seeing something happen.  and we are overlooked by neighbours so it is NOT going to happen but I'm just trying to find out frm a legal point of view further cases for my arguement .
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Home Slaughter
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:32:55 pm »
I may be wrong(it has been known ;D) but I believe it is the owner of the animal, not the land who can eat the meat.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 01:36:36 pm »
Home slaughter is more trouble than its worth IMO. I once had someone who wanted to buy a live lamb to put in his paddock and slaughter few weeks later....I asked him how he proposed to slaughter it and he told me he'd use a 12 bore!  ;D

Needless to say I didn't sell him the lamb.

If you don't want it happening, just say no. For what its worth though, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't traumatise your existing animals.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:05:20 pm »
its this bit that's confused me (doesn't take much I know!!)

Slaughter in someone else’s unapproved premises
28. This is  unlawful. Unapproved premises include any place used for slaughtering
animals other than an approved slaughterhouse (e.g. field, barn, warehouse, vehicle,
unapproved slaughterhouse).  The operator of the unapproved premises would be
supplying goods (i.e. meat) back  to the farmer in  the course of a business.  They
would therefore be placing the meat on the market.  The slaughter would be an
offence, as would any subsequent sale or supply of meat.

have got in kid goat and possible pregnant ewes in the same land as they were proposing the slaughter, hence my concern re home slaughter  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:09:11 pm »
"Unapproved premises" and "market" imply they're talking about somebody's little corner shop rather than a rented/borrowed field...

You could always go down the route of not being able to dispose of SRM (specified risk material IIRC - the brain, spinal cord etc are supposed to be removed, stained and incinerated; can't be buried.) - I bet you can't just drop off the head at an abbattoir!

Why does this person want to home slaughter?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 02:32:51 pm »
"
You could always go down the route of not being able to dispose of SRM (specified risk material IIRC - the brain, spinal cord etc are supposed to be removed, stained and incinerated; can't be buried.) - I bet you can't just drop off the head at an abbattoir!

does that mean the carcass has to be butchered here too?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 02:38:05 pm »

If you don't want it happening, just say no. For what its worth though, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't traumatise your existing animals.

I understand the RSPC considers sheep amongst many other animals as sentient and watching others of their kind die infront of them is not reccommended. I once did the RSPCA course on euthanasia   
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 02:48:32 pm »

I understand the RSPC considers sheep amongst many other animals as sentient and watching others of their kind die infront of them is not reccommended. I once did the RSPCA course on euthanasia
and this is partly what worries me Kanisha - i know of someone who had a pig home slaughtered and one was watching and went 'wild' (in their words)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 03:09:51 pm »
I agree it could affect other animals. When one of 2 goat brothers died the remaining brother wouldn't let us remove the body - he freaked out. (there were other goats it wasn't that he was on his own) We had to leave it with him for 24 hours grieving time  :'(
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:11:00 pm »
If it's your land / premises, just say "no". You don't have to give a reason - doesn't matter if it's legal or not.

There's another thread on here about home slaughter but I think that the slaughtering has to be done by the owner and only s/he may leaglly consume the meat. There is no such thing as a legal intinerant slaughterman.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 06:26:35 pm »
I agree with the post above, you may have given your permission for grazing but that definitely does not imply any permission to carry out slaughter on site. Giving reasons for refusal could just result in the person trying to counter the arguments or wriggle around them.

'because I am not agreeable/comfortable with it' is fine as a reason by itself. It is your land so your say.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 07:00:30 pm »
Thanks everyone. I think I just needed to clear it in my head that I wasn't being unreasonable by saying No too. I think I am also a little bit  peeved that it was assumed that I would find it acceptable without being asked but just being told that this may be what they would be doing  >:(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:10:24 pm »
perhaps, seeing as they are on your land & you deal with them, you should book them in at the abbatoir & butcher and take them on the q-t .....
just price up what each of the syndicate owes you for the meat before you tell them :)
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 07:32:34 pm »
 ;D

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 09:09:41 pm »
I am a fan of home slaughter (we home kill all our own meat) so don't agree with some of the more negative comments on the practice in general.

However,

In this particular case. I think the legal position is dubious but more importantly, it's is your land and if you don't like it then you can say no. At the end of the day, they are renting your grazing ie your grass, rather than the right to use your land for their own purposes.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS