Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home Slaughter  (Read 14714 times)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Home Slaughter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 12:21:43 am »
I'd have nothing against it, if it wasn't such a legal tangle. Seems easier to send them on - but then, I do have an abbotoir about 10 minutes up the road (sheep and cattle only). I take my neighbours pigs on too and the nearest place that does them is 40 miles each way, much easier to take em somewhere quiet and do em on the farm IMO, but looks like the legislation is moving further in the other direction.

However, the point is that plums doesn't want it done on her place and its a fairly odd assumption to make by her tennants that she's okay with it. If I was her I'd just say no outright and not try to justify it.

(having said that - I've had to shoot a lamb who was beyond salvation on my grazing once, and Id be very surprised to be asked not to do it, but I think the situation in that case is slightly different).

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 09:00:22 am »
Thanks VSS and SteveHants.  I think in your own case VSS you are experienced and proficient at what you do and I can fully understand your support of and reasons for choosing, home slaughter.  This is more of a throwaway comment based on the fact they don't have a towbar to bring a trailer so they have said "oh well we'll just do a home slaughter" for their own convenience rather than as a well thought out method and one that suits all involved.
From my very limited knowledge and what I have been trying to read up, it seems to me that 'home slaughter' isn't just a case of get the beast killed on the land and then drive it somewhere to be butchered - it needs to be done here doesn't it? I might be wrong. but I think that maybe an element that the owners have not researched.

Steve - you are spot on - if an animal needed to be euthenased here on my land I wouldn't blink for a minute, it would be done to alleviate suffering straight away. I will say no outright, you and Rosemary are right in that I will end up being talked at and them trying to force me into something. that will not happen. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 10:03:26 am »
but then, I do have an abbotoir about 10 minutes up the road (sheep and cattle only).

I think this makes a big difference. I suspect that if we had one nearby (our nearest involves an 100+ mile round trip) we would probably still kill at home, but that is our choice and our preference. I have nothing against thise who choose to send animals to the abattoir but firmly believe that people should have the knowledge to be able to make an informed decision about what it best for them. It never ceases to amaze me how many think it is illegal to kill your own meat.

Home slaughter is really nothing to be afraid of - you just need to plan ahead and be clear about what and how you are going to get the job done.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 12:42:28 pm »
but then, I do have an abbotoir about 10 minutes up the road (sheep and cattle only).

I think this makes a big difference. I suspect that if we had one nearby (our nearest involves an 100+ mile round trip) we would probably still kill at home, but that is our choice and our preference. I have nothing against thise who choose to send animals to the abattoir but firmly believe that people should have the knowledge to be able to make an informed decision about what it best for them. It never ceases to amaze me how many think it is illegal to kill your own meat.

Home slaughter is really nothing to be afraid of - you just need to plan ahead and be clear about what and how you are going to get the job done.

Our local abattoir (about 15 mins down the road) has just shut down... so my nearest one is now between 60 and 70 miles away . I can see us moving to homeslaughter in the next year, at least for sheep (mutton rather than lambs) and goats, as pigs seem to be lot more complicated.

I would just like to have an introduction to the whole process, for example by watching someone doing it, rather than just reading about it.... Anyone know about someone doing something like that? Shouldn't be illegal to have "an audience" and explaining how it all goes, should it? I have read about people doing it for poultry.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 01:24:40 pm »

I would just like to have an introduction to the whole process, for example by watching someone doing it, rather than just reading about it.... Anyone know about someone doing something like that? Shouldn't be illegal to have "an audience" and explaining how it all goes, should it? I have read about people doing it for poultry.
. thats my point aswell as i would love to watch  the process and how people  deal with differant aspects

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 01:42:37 pm »
I have the option to go in and watch, but have so far declined.

I know I need to get my head around it. If anything ever went badly wrong on the smallholding and desperate measures needed, I would be the one who was lacking in knowledge when I had previously had the chance to learn.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 02:54:41 pm »

It would be very helpful to know what the rules are - maybe I am about to be told it's all in your book?  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 03:09:00 pm »

It would be very helpful to know what the rules are - maybe I am about to be told it's all in your book?  :D
I'm just about to buy that book! seeing as I am about to become the proud owner of 2 of the lambs I have helped raise I think I need to  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2012, 05:46:52 pm »
We ( and you, plums!) have a very good local abattoir about half an hour away. The staff are really friendly and kind to the animals and there is no need to even think about home slaughter for that reason. They should get the ..... towbar fixed!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »

Of course  ;D

But the rules can also be found on the FSA website http://www.food.gov.uk and type home slaughter in the search box in the top right hand corner, it brings up a load of documents that give the guidelines on home slaughter in the different devolved regions.

We would like to run courses on home slaughter for this very reason but no-one would be allowed to eat any of it, which seems to defeat the object really.

There will be more info on home slaughter in the next book - for sheep, cattle, pigs, and small livestock too  ;)
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 09:31:31 pm »

But the rules can also be found on the FSA website http://www.food.gov.uk and type home slaughter in the search box in the top right hand corner, it brings up a load of documents that give the guidelines on home slaughter in the different devolved regions.

There will be more info on home slaughter in the next book - for sheep, cattle, pigs, and small livestock too  ;)

And the next book is due when...? ;) ;D

Yes, we can always go to a website and find lots of documents  ::), but as you very well know, Dot, that does not confer on us clear and unambiguous knowledge and understanding!  Which hopefully your book, when available, will do  :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 09:40:01 pm »

We would like to run courses on home slaughter for this very reason but no-one would be allowed to eat any of it, which seems to defeat the object really.

[/quote]

Yes I thought there would be some stupid reason to make such course nigh-on impossible to hold... >:(

Waiting for that next book! ;)

princesspiggy

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 09:53:04 pm »
did noone watch the tv series Kill it, Cook It Eat It? they showed the audiences how diff animals were slaughtered and butchered, was very interesting.
we considered a homekill with our 5 sheep cos i find it worse taking sheep to abattoir than pigs as they seem to know the fear or smell or something have to be forced thru the door. that would have been a licensed slaughterer tho, not ourselves. we havent done so yet.

i dont know why but we can collect a dead pig directly from abattoir but have to collect the sheep from a butcher. even the skins cant be taken withou paperwork/movement doc.

plums - just say no. sometimes u have to get lary to get what u want, but as your animals cant speak for themselves, you have to speak up for them. plus u dont want bad memories on your land cos u wont forget it either. animals grieve too.
 :love: :wave: :love:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 12:27:49 pm »
i wonder how much it would take to become a mobile slaughterman?

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2012, 02:47:10 pm »
i wonder how much it would take to become a mobile slaughterman?

A change in the law, for one thing  ;)

Princesspigggy, I saw a couple of those shows on repeat at about 2am on freeview-something  ::) very interesting, though I didn't think much to eating the meat without proper hanging  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS