Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: food  (Read 1633 times)

milarepa

• Joined Jan 2012
food
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:26:40 am »
what aweird and wonderfull winter no snow warm days sunshine veg 2months early??? NOW TO BUSINESSS GOt 4 soay ewe lambs to manage grass this summer never had this breed before but what charecters could watch them all day if i had the time       feeding cerials, and hay ad lib anybody tell me how much cerial they should be eating? they also have mineral blocks

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: food
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:43:41 am »
I would suggest that with the weather conditions you describe, plus ad-lib hay and a lick, any cereals you feed will just be to make the ewe lambs friendly.  So no more than a very small handful/ a tablespoonful each per day.  If snow falls or the ground is frozen hard then you could increase that very slightly.
When you say 'cereals' what do you actually mean?  We feed Carr's Tup & Lamb, which is low protein but relatively easy to digest.
Once you are breeding them at 2 years you will need to feed them a little bit more in the 6 weeks to lambing, but they don't need anything like the quantities that large breeds do.
One thing which they would really benefit from is some branches to chew on - make sure they are from non-poisonous trees such as willow, ash, or orchard thinnings.  They will get some essential minerals from the bark, and they love to browse as well as graze.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

milarepa

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: food
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 05:19:44 pm »
THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE GREATEFULLY RECEIVEIHAVE BEEN FEEDING ALL STOCK PENCILS THEY WERE QUITE LEAN WHEN I GOT THEM LATE SEPTEMBER AND THEIR SIZES WERE  RANDOM NO CONDITION LOSS THOUGHTHANKS AGAIN

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS