Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed to choose?  (Read 18425 times)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Which breed to choose?
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2012, 08:10:37 am »
I thought you weren't supposed to handle sheep by the horns?  Or am I wrong about that? 

Ours don't have horns so it's never been an issue.
Agree, you wouldnt want to catch or restrain a sheep by its horns, but when holding it in place I think it's fine to hold the animals body with one hand and the horn in the other, just holding not restraining with the horn ie as a secondary point of contact. More to stop eg our ram shaking his head and horns and whacking you while you do his feet or whatever needs doing.

But catching it by the horn alone, no, that wouldnt be ok as it might break.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 12:18:38 pm »
I thought you weren't supposed to handle sheep by the horns?  Or am I wrong about that? 

Ours don't have horns so it's never been an issue.
Agree, you wouldnt want to catch or restrain a sheep by its horns, but when holding it in place I think it's fine to hold the animals body with one hand and the horn in the other, just holding not restraining with the horn ie as a secondary point of contact. More to stop eg our ram shaking his head and horns and whacking you while you do his feet or whatever needs doing.

But catching it by the horn alone, no, that wouldnt be ok as it might break.

And definitely definitely not dragging it along by its horns, as I have seen done.   >:(

Show horned tups are often 'led' around the ring by their horns - but they're trained, the handler is just using the tip of the horn to control the direction.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 12:55:51 pm »
I never hold the horns on any sheep under a year old as they are definitely more liable to break. However I do use the horns as a steadying device when injecting or drenching. However my wilts are alot more amenable than my dads Beltex!
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 01:08:15 pm »
I twice had a problem with the BWM rams being handled by the horns. 

First time just after shearing one of the young rams died.  He looked sad after shearing and around 3 days later was dead.  I reckoned they damaged his neck. 

Second time someone was "helping" me with the sheep - grabbed a young ram by the horn, and the horn sheath just came off in his hand.  Bled like mad, but put on some purple spray and it was OK but never grew back properly, so I would say, don't handle by horns.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS