Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which breed to choose?  (Read 18414 times)

dizzydaisy

• Joined Jan 2012
Which breed to choose?
« on: January 03, 2012, 02:06:06 pm »
I am looking to start a small herd of sheep and would like some advice on which breeds to consider. I want to involve the grandchildren in looking after the sheep so would prefer a breed without horns and not too big but not too flighty! The males would be sold for meat and the ewes keep for breeding. They would share the grazing with my 3 horses and we live in the fens in Lincolnshire. It would be nice to consider a rare breed as I would like to help endangered breeds. Showing would also be something I would like to involve the grandchildren in. There will be no problem in caring for the sheep as my son in law has a cattle/sheep farm and has in excess of 500 sheep at the present time.
I would be grateful to hear your suggestions and also where to purchase the initial ewes from.
Thanks

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Re: Which breed to choose?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 03:46:52 pm »
This is a question that is asked quite a lot and it usually has many people promoting they favourite breed, What I would say is pick a breed that you like the look of and do a bit of research. Your son in law should be a good help when you decide as he will be able to help with picking good stock. If your grandchildren are young I would be carefull with them as sheep will send them flying. Best of luck.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:05:48 pm »
What about the Lincoln Longwool? It's big though, but very endangered and local to you. It's also stunning  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:21:00 pm »
For your needs I would think the Shetland would be best.  They are not exactly rare any more, but not too common.  The meat is tasty and if the carcase is not big enough you can use a larger tup and have cross-bred lambs.  They are good lambers and mothers, very easy to handle, halter train quickly and many children show Shetlands.  To look at they are very cute and the lambs are super cuddly.  They are hornless/polled, except for tups, most of which are horned.  The breed society is very active and friendly so you are sure to find someone in your area to talk to about the breed and to give good advice.    Shetlands can be roo'ed, so they don't have to be shorn, and the fleece can be used in a number of ways, or sold.  They come in white, grey, fawn, brown (moorit), black and a variety of patterns, so they are never boring  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 06:37:30 pm »
Coloured shetlands are quite rare and its good to keep the genetics alive. Maybe the Shetlands you have down south are a bit less wild than the ones we have up here but I would defineately describe my Shetlands as flighty. The breed that springs to mind as best meeting your requirements is the Ryeland. One could argue that in Lincolnshire you dont really need a sheep as tough as a shetland and you will benefit from faster growth and better carcass from a lowland breed.

onnyview

• Joined Dec 2009
    • onnyview free range produce
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 06:41:57 pm »
Everyone has their own breed that they will champion! I have a young family who help out with the flock and have kept Balwen, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep. Balwens are lovely, but are very flighty and the tup we had was evil. Hill Radnors are docile, rare breed and easy to keep. Llanwenogs are a native breed and fit in very well with a more commercial set up as the lambs finish early, the ewes are prolific and good mothers, they are also docile.

The main thing is to do your research and go and see the sheep!

Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide on.
Onnyview free range produce- Gloucestershire Old Spot pigs, Hill Radnor and Llanwenog sheep.

www.onnyview.moonfruit.com

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 07:36:51 pm »
I'd say coloured Shetlands too. Good small size, interesting colours and markings.

I was told they were flighty and certainly they are more so than my Rough Fells (everything is more flighty than Roughs  :D) but they're training to a bucket well, four will already eat out of my hand and three of those will be scritched behind the ears and under the chin - since Oct.

If you can get ones that have been fussed - bottle reared, show trained or whatever, they'll be more people friendly and they then help the others feel calmer around you.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »
I think Lleyns are pretty docile, although they aren't that small. I still think Wilts horns are a pretty decent choice for smallholders, given that they ought to be much less prone to flies, have sound feet, shed fleece and produce a nice, commercial-sized carcase. However, they do have horns and are pretty big. I personally don't mind a horned sheep and can't really understand the fuss over them - as long as you are gentle, they make a nice 'handle' for holding the sheep. They can be a git to handle but, on the other hand - you really don't need to handle them that much at all, so its swings and roundabouts. I wouldn't handle livestock with children who weren't under very close supervision - ie on the outside of the handling pen, but it has been said that I am a grumpy old bugger.  :P

dizzydaisy

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 09:33:08 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I would love to have a herd of Lincoln Longwools but they are bigger than I would favour. I know someone who shows these and the grooming pre-showing is extensive. I have looked at lots of breed society websites and it seems that many of the smaller sheep are in Wales which is a fair distance from Lincolnshire. Does anyone know of any breeders in my area of the country as buying and transporting the sheep would need to be a consideration. As far as the children are concerned they would of course be under close supervision, I am well aware of the dangers of little ones near livestock. Growing up with 3 horses they are learning about safety from an early age. No cuddling my 16h percheron cross unless sat on board on the lead rope.
I would appreciate any further suggestions.
Thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:01:06 pm »
Well another idea is to start with some wether lambs of a breed you think you might like so you can see how it works out.  They'll be to eat anyway (maybe after taking a fleece, depending on the breed and whether you want a fleece) so if you decide that breed's not for you, you can get a different one next time.

I suspect there will be Southdowns and Ryelands in Lincoln, both of which I hear people talk about as being good, meaty, docile sheep, good for smallholders and children.  The Southdown would be smaller, I think.  Neither of them is a rare breed, however - but looking at the RBST Watchlist, there doesn't seem to be anything on there that meets your spec, except maybe the Hill Radnor or the Dorset Down if they aren't too large for you.

Most breed society websites have a 'marketplace' or 'for sale/wanted' page, and would put you in touch with  breeders in your area.

Good luck, have fun looking and choosing - and let us know how you get on, please!  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 12:02:14 am »
I suppose the other thing to do could be to decide how much you'd really like a rare breed and if it isnt your main priority go for something fairly ubiquitous: Lleyn, Suffolk, etc. My general dislike of mules prevents me from recommending them, but I realise in the sheep-farming world I am in something of a minority in this regard.

That way, you could at least ensure that you are likely to find some nearby. 

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 11:16:08 am »
I only have 6 but I think the Ryeland sheep are great. I have 5 girls and 1 tup and they are all very easy to deal with and apart from some random events a few weeks ago very sturdy and have required very little vet treatment. They are easy to handl;e to trim their feet and their short legs mean they don't climb/jump or run very fast (always a bonus when try to catch them  ;D) Before having them I was very nervous of sheep as I was trampled on by a flock racing to get food as a child  :o infact at one point I nearly failed one of my modules at university because I was actually sweating and panicing about injecting the sheep on the farm in an enclosed area. As I got older I did get used to sheep on my friends properties and helped out with lambing occasionally but really wasn't a fan. The girls arrived under the instruction from my OH who decided we needed to cross graze the horses paddocks to improve the pasture  :-\ Any how they arrived and I have never looked back, I think they're fabulous and this spring we are expecting our first lambs  ;D Hopefully some will be sold and a couple will be raised to go in the freezer as apparently they are very tasty although slow growing. I vote for Ryelands every time, we got ours from a lovely lady in Welshpool and another lovely lady in Cheshire. Both sets have turned out to be lovely sheep  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 01:22:22 pm »
We have Ryelands and love them - I just didn't want to appear biased  ;D

dizzydaisy

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 04:45:52 pm »
Thanks everyone. I like the look of the Ryelands and there seem to be quite a few breeders in this area so a definate possibility. What time of year would be best to start this enterprise. Do I buy a few lambs this year and wait for them to grow before introducing a tup? Apart from looking for them being registered are there any quick pointers you can suggest when looking for well bred sheeep.

milarepa

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 06:05:14 pm »
how about soay realy enjoy looking after these they do it themselves just a bag of nuts and hay thats all they need this weather even these wild creatures can be tamed with food care and love

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS