Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's on your knitting needles at the moment ?  (Read 35212 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What's on your knitting needles at the moment ?
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2011, 09:36:07 pm »
I quite like knitting with 5 needles, probably because it was a challenge initially, but I change to a mini-circular needle as soon as I can - for socks it only works with big boot socks.  I recently bought some short bamboo needles in sets of 5 and they are lovely and light to knit with.  In fact I'm off to start the cuff of my second sleeve using them.......
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2011, 01:54:05 am »
How come you all seem to be knitting with 5 needles? 
Mine were only a set of 4. Even with 4 needles I seem to be cack handed and end up stabbing myself in the chest with one of the spare needles. Other than putting some extra chest padding on when I am knitting I haven't yet come up with a solution. 
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2011, 07:56:52 am »
It's a silly question Sally - but are your needles longer than you need?  I have been knitting wrist warmers (thanks ellisr!) on 4 sock needles and, clumsy as I am, I haven't stabbed myself once!  For anything much larger I'd be on the magic round pins, as Fleecewife says.

I am wanting to have a go at socks - can anyone point me at a good pattern?  And what advice about reinforcing heels?  Different yarn?  Special kind of stitch?

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

WaltDisneyWorld

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2011, 08:18:18 am »
I'm knitting socks on 4 needles, so you are not alone :) They are bamboo needles and lovely and light, there were 5 needles in the pack but the pattern only called for 4. It has been quite a challenge and a very slow process but I am pleased with the result so far. I have found it useful to have a look at a few You Tube clips and make sure I keep the yarn tight when knitting the first stitch off the next needle. Its a slow process but I am enjoying it. Have really enjoyed the reading the knitting threads on here.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2011, 10:43:00 am »
The 5th needles is ONLY because its a Cable pattern  :thumbsup:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2011, 01:26:41 pm »
To turn a heel I have to follow a pattern, so I would use 4 needles for that if the pattern said so.  This is because it will state which stitches are on which needle and all instructions would be for that situation.  But for the leg and the straight part of the foot I would use a 5 needle set, because it's easier.  With 4 needles you are knitting in a triangle, which can be quite tight, but with 5 you are knitting in a square (plus the fifth to knit onto) and I find this easier.  You could probably use any number  :D

I now have the details of the sock book I recommended: The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook by Lynne Vogel, Interweave Press.  Mine was £11.50 but if I'd searched around a bit I'm sure I could have got it for less.  It contains a basic sock pattern and then lots of variations for the heel, and even how to knit a sock in the flat on 2 needles (then add in the heel) The book teaches lots of the tricks of the trade and makes it all seem simple.  There is a large section on spinning and dyeing for socks, which many would not be interested in, but overall it provides just the information and inspiration needed to get down to it.

Have a look at www.interweave.com there are loads of books and patterns, although none of the patterns is free  :(

I do have another sock book which was very helpful - must try to find it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 01:52:09 pm by Fleecewife »

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2011, 04:48:43 pm »
How come you all seem to be knitting with 5 needles? 
Mine were only a set of 4. Even with 4 needles I seem to be cack handed and end up stabbing myself in the chest with one of the spare needles. Other than putting some extra chest padding on when I am knitting I haven't yet come up with a solution. 
Sally

Why not try needle ends/caps or pencils erasers with little holes punched in to stop the stabbing parts, I think Sally is right when she says she thinks your needles maybe to big or like me you maybe petit.

I am starting some 'extreme' knitting this weekend as I have been asked to do more rugs like I made last year and also have to make a pouffe as OH has DVT just now. Just ordered a longer set of 25mm needles so I am excited.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2011, 05:38:32 pm »
I have just measured my needles and they are 20cm so I don't think they are too long.  Neither can I blame it on being petite which I'm not  >:(

Part of the problem is that I have been knitting with Archie on my lap and therefore am probably holding the knitting higher than I usually would to keep it out of his way.  I have wine for dinner tonight so may try putting cork on the end of the needles.

Thanks for all the advice
Sally

Red

• Joined Mar 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2011, 10:11:58 pm »
SallyinTNorth - thanks ! someone at work mentioned the website but I could not remember for the life of me what it was! its a great site!
Red

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2011, 10:58:43 pm »
Bionic Sally - 20cms is probably fine - my dinky bamboo ones are 15cms and that is quite small.
I wonder if you are getting the needles organised properly as you knit?  I make sure each time I start with the empty needle and the new one to be knitted from, that both their neighbours are under them, so the knitting is  carried out above the needles which are out of use.  That way you have two points towards you, but they are both below the working needles so don't tend to get caught.
Another reason is if you knit whilst wearing knitted clothing - the points catch in that horribly.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2011, 11:00:58 am »
Fleecewife,
I think you are right in that I don't hold the needles correctly. Currently I am knitting with them in a sort of square so one of the needles always ends up pointing at my body and stabbing me.
When I sit down later on I will try to hold them as you do and see how I get on.  Thanks for the advice.
Sally

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2011, 11:21:03 am »
Part of the problem is that I have been knitting with Archie on my lap

What's an "Archie" ?   ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »
Blinkers
Archie is my puppy.  He is a black minature poodle and 13 weeks old today.  If he is awake he is usually chewing something, hence holding the knitting high up.
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2011, 08:28:32 pm »
Part of the problem is that I have been knitting with Archie on my lap

Made me laugh out loud  ;D ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2011, 10:30:08 pm »
Hmm, its not so funny when he is either chewing the wool, pulling the stitches off the needle of trying to chew the ends of the needles, but when he is asleep he is lovely  :).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS