Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's on your knitting needles at the moment ?  (Read 35048 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: What's on your knitting needles at the moment ?
« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2011, 02:50:01 pm »
It sold before I could get pics but I have another finished and maybe one more tonight. The customer has bought it as a pram blanket now I never though of that use ::)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2011, 09:19:01 am »
eventually pictures of the 2 I have made the other 2 have sold before I managed to get photos

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2011, 12:26:45 pm »
Ellisr they are lovely. You are so talented.  I wish I could come and spend a few hours with you to pick your brains.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2011, 12:32:18 pm »
You are always welcome to come and spend some time knitting and chatting

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2011, 02:09:54 pm »
Ellisr,
thankyou for the kind offer but unfortunately its not likely to happen as I am moving further away than I am now.  Still, if ever I am planning to be in your neck of the woods I might well drop you a line in advance.
Sally

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2011, 06:14:44 pm »
Just been looking up extreme knitting online.  It reminds me of a jumper I knitted in the late 60s for my boyfriend of the time.  It was knitted with 5 strands of double knit yarn, 2 or one colour, 3 of another, on one inch diameter needles.  I wasn't a knitter then so it was a real labour of love.  He expressed great delight and wore it a few times, tehn I went round to his house and saw it on the washing line, dripping.  He said his mum's washing machine has broken down so she washed it by hand.  It reached to his knees after that and he never wore it again.  It put me off knitting for many years!   :(

Bionic where are you moving to?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2011, 08:29:12 pm »
I have been using upto 15 yarns at a time and I have a rug to make that will be over 20 yarns.

I apologise for the bad photo but this was taken quickly before the new owners mum whisked it away to santa

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2011, 09:15:09 pm »
What thickness yarn?  I have cones and cones of four ply.  Did make a scarf with eight strands and 12mm needles and want to make another one.  Think I need some thicker needles if I'm going to do more strands.  The  biggest I have is 15mm and only one.  I think I bought it as a single needle for a specific purpose but can't rmember what.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2011, 09:23:55 pm »
At the moment I am using 24mm needles and that can easily take up to ten yarns at chunky weight.

2 DK = 1 chunky
4 4ply = 1 chunky

and so on

It does look very good if you mix the weights and using a nice sparkly yarn/ thick thread as well. You have to get into the mindset of painting with yarn and not being afraid to mix colours and throw at least one colour in that clashes as that is the yarn that will lift the finished piece. Don't be afraid of just going into your stash randomnly choose yarns of any colours and knit 3 rows and see what your piece of art looks like

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2011, 09:33:12 pm »
Thanks, ellisr.  So it looks like forty strands at once.  I have a ball winder so can ball it up and then wind four strands into a ball which won't be so bad.  I'm off to buy some 24mm needles tomorrow.   ;D  :thumbsup:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2011, 09:39:55 pm »
you may have to buy them online as they aren't to common. 30 sts should give you about 60cms width on a 24mm needle using 6-8 chunky yarns ( and a very warm lap whilst knitting)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2011, 12:15:27 am »
Thanks for the advice.  I've got to go to the wool place for buttons for my matinee jacket so I'll ask there first otherwise, I'll have to order.  The thought of a warm lap has a lot of appeal at the moment.  I just might not want to put my knitting away.   ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2011, 02:55:32 am »
Wow, the thought of all that yarn being knittied at the same time is definitely extreme. I have never done anything like that but it does have an appeal.  I might give it a go at some stage.  I will have to order needles too as the biggest I have is 12mm.

MGM,
If all goes well I am moving to Camarthenshire.  I might have to move out and move in in 2 stages though.  The sale of my house will probably go through about 2nd week of Jan but don't think we will have completed the purchase by then so will need to find something to rent for a couple of weeks.

Sally

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2011, 04:26:20 am »
Well after next week when I get past postal deadline I am
 going to work on a pair of needles so I can makes blanket for my kingside bed as it is starting to get very cold but I will have to work on the floor as it will get very heavy very fast working in the traditional way and I'll never fit 5 foot needles on the sofa

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2011, 09:06:22 am »
Now that blanket will be something to see. 

I (and I am sure others on here too) will be very interested to see how its going as the project is progressing. Can you post pics for us?
thanks
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS