Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's on your knitting needles at the moment ?  (Read 35205 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: What's on your knitting needles at the moment ?
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2011, 12:06:06 am »
I have only recently taken up knitting again, telling people that I had stopped because I had cats and that now I do not have cats and no plans for cats in the house in future, I realised I could pick up my pins again.  Most people, even those with cats, look at me in puzzlement - but every cat I have ever had regarded anything I was looking at as something they had to get upon, and every ball of wool they ever saw as an hour or so's chasing, gambolling and generally unravelling and knotting entertainment.  In fact, I used to buy them big balls of multi-coloured wool for Christmas and let them run riot all over the house with them!

So I empathise with you, trying to knit with a lovable, playful Poodle puppy helping you  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2011, 11:32:15 am »
I make bags with a draw string on to pop my wool in which means animals aren't a problem and my knitting is more portable so I can knit in the car

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2011, 12:45:18 pm »
Ellisr You are always so practical and  inventive - give you a problem and you usually solve it - Regards Jan

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2011, 06:11:28 pm »
but when he is asleep he is lovely  :).

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2011, 07:37:22 pm »
Ellisr You are always so practical and  inventive - give you a problem and you usually solve it - Regards Jan
I must admit I stole that idea from my grandma she used to have a similar bag hanging from the chair arm and she would knit whilst we read to her. I have has to make numerous bag that I can attach together as I'm using 6-8 yarns at once at the moment

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2011, 10:29:23 pm »
I make bags with a draw string on to pop my wool in which means animals aren't a problem and my knitting is more portable so I can knit in the car

That's definitely the answer  :thumbsup:  I didn't even have to make mine as it came as a free shoe bag with a pair of El Naturalista clogs  ;D  and it's large enough to hold the big cone I am knitting from plus all the bits of my jumper.
One of the reasons I use circular needles is that generations of cats have made knitting a trial when they bat at the bobbles on the ends of straight needles - I can see that they must be irresistable  ::) :cat:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2011, 10:42:27 pm »

I hope that's not when you're driving.   ;D

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2011, 09:35:41 am »
I like to multi task but driving and knitting doesn't work, the yarn get wrapped around the gear stick ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2011, 09:52:32 am »
You need to buy an automatic then  ;D ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2011, 09:55:30 am »
well we have just been talking to a friend who has a 4x4 automatic for sale, so have to practice corners whilst cabling

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2011, 10:14:00 am »
Thats funny, I am just on my way out to look at a 4x4 automatic too.  I currently have a 2 seater convertable and don't really think its suitable for when we move.
Sally

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2011, 11:36:42 pm »
When I had the craft workshop I seemed to be working all the hours there were to keep stocked up.  I used to knit or crochet when walking the dogs, usually in the dark.  I could knit a hat up to the decreasing while walking round.  I did learn early on though that cables weren't a good idea.  We lived in hill sheep and deer country.  Cable needles tend to slide out of the work when you are walking.  Believe me, you do not want to be groping round in the dark where sheep and deer have been wandering (and pooing).   :P

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2011, 12:11:45 am »
Well new extreme needles arrived today and the first rug is finished with fringing and second rug about a quarter done. I love this extreme knitting it is like painting with yarns

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2011, 01:11:21 am »
ellisr,
Do you have any pics of the finished article?
Sally

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2011, 08:23:09 am »
ellisr,
Do you have any pics of the finished article?
Sally
echo!  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS