Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BPA show and sale, Sept 30/Oct 1, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire  (Read 8880 times)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
BPA show and sale, Sept 30/Oct 1, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:35:37 pm »
BPA members will have received this, but for those who are not members, below is a list of the breeds and bloodlines that will be on sale at the BPA show and sale, which has now moved from Ross on Wye to Stoneleigh.
The show is held on the Friday, starting at 11am. The sale is on the Saturday, starting at 9am with cattle and moving on to pigs at 11.15am.
Catalogues £2.50 available from the BPA Office. 01223 845100

Berkshire
Female: Stonebow (2) Farewell (2) Lady (3) Royal Lustre (3) Royal Sapphire(2)
Louise (2)
Male: Ambassador (1) Freight Train (1) Lassetter (1) Nama Abel (1)
Namatjira (2) PeterLad(2)

British Lop
Female:Sunshine (2)

British Saddleback
Female:Babble(1) Bell(2) Belle 3) Colleen(2) Dinah(2) Lady(1) Octavia (2)
Rose(2) Rosette(2) Shamrock (Silver Wings (1)
Male:Prefect (1) Stockbroker (1)

Duroc
Female:Deva (1) Hjornegard (2)Male:Svesk (1)

Gloucestershire Old Spots
Female:Dolly (2) Ellen (1) Josephine (2) Muriel (2) Princess Ann (2) Princess
Freda (1) Princess Joan (2) Star Antoinette (1)
Male:Gerald (2) Patrick (4) Rufus (2) Sambo (1)

Hampshire
Male:Golden Eagle (1)

Landrace
Female:Peta (1)Male:Pasta (1)

Pietrain
Female:Eko (1) St Pauline (3)Male:Julien (1)

Large Black
Female:Jewel (3) Larkspur (1)Male:Attempt (1) Malcolm (1)

Large White
Female:Blackberry (1) Jean (2) Royal Maple (2)
Male:Alpine (1) McFlannel (1) Rope (1)

Middle White
Female:Woodlands Lady (2)Male:Captain (1) Rajah (1)

Oxford Sandy & Black
Female:Alison (1) Clarissa (1) Cynthia (2) Gloria (1) Iris (1)
Male:Alistair (1) Clarence (2) Jack (1)

Tamworth
Female:Jacqueline (3) Melody (6)Male:Golden Ranger (1)

Welsh
Female:Emma (3) Lioness (2) Lucky Girl (3) Model (1) Nina (4) Tess (1)
Theresa (2) Willing (1)
Male:Earl (1) Imperial (1)
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: BPA show and sale, Sept 30/Oct 1, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:16:20 am »
Just a reminder that this is this weekend coming, there will be soem good stock available so if you want to get into pedigree pigs its a good place to start.
Mandy  :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 11:19:06 pm »
And even if you're not ready to buy quite yet, it's a good place to see lots of different breeds, decide what you want, and collect contact for breeders across the UK.
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:07:37 pm »
Reports coming in that this was a poor do compared to Ross-on-Wye, anybody got any details?
Too far for me to go for 2 days.
Mandy  :pig:

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 12:59:01 pm »
Mandy, I think it was Charles Bull on the Berkshire site that said it was not good. In pig gilts selling for £160 Berkshires I presume, when he had sold a meat pig last week for £150 so very low price. Also many going unsold. Like you too far to go for 2 days, the Ross sale was a good day out and most stock was selling at good prices. Another example of the BPA changing things for the sake of it. ???
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 03:36:09 pm »
The ring was very small it was hard to see the pigs moving around, the only seating was 2 levels of straw bales with a row of chairs around the inside. A lot of the pigs did appear to go unsold.

It was also strange to see people with ice creams rather than huddled around cups of coffee!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 04:35:07 pm »
The location has great potential, but the ring (as Skidley said) was tiny. You couldn't see the pigs walking properly and, unlike at Ross (and many other traditional auction locations) the seating was makeshift. A few straw bales around a miniscule ring means only those lucky enough to get a seat can see. Seating may seem like a fairly insignificant thing, but when you are standing for hours on end (and in Saturday's heat) it becomes very important.

Aside from viewing whilst in the ring, the aisles between the pig pens were incredibly narrow, too, so not easy browsing that area before sale time.

Yes, lots of people took their pigs home with them. Many of the gilts in pig failed to reach £200, a lot of the maiden gilts went from £60-£100, and many of the boars failed to get a single bid. I felt so sad for those breeders who had brought really good pigs such a long way, only to have to turn around and take most of them home. The BPA needs a good re-think on what should happen next year.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:35:47 pm »
beatson sale ring was also on the small side
the prices were a reflection on the state of the pig market
all auctions reflect the dire state of the pig industry
and until we can get a better price for the end product these piss poor prices will continue :farmer:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 01:21:22 pm »
Hooray - back on the forum after hours of failed attempts yesterday (talktalk server problem).    I am no expert but from the perspective of a buyer I thought some of the reserve prices at the BPA Sale at Stoneleigh were rather high.   There were two Tamworth in-pig gilts, and the one which had won the overall Tamworth champion prize the day before reached its reserve price of, I believe, £330, but on the other bidding stopped well below this.    The day before going to Stoneleigh I had been to look at another potential proven, pedigree Tamworth sow, which I could have bought for £250, in pig (hopefully) after weaning her current litter.   Quite a lot less than the Stoneleigh reserve price.     Probably not as good as Bill Howe's show quality pigs, but a nice pig all the same.    In the class I was interested in the BPA sale, there were 6 Tamworth maiden gilts, 5 x Melody and 1 x Jacqueline, all about 8 months.   I was in such a tizz about having to bid at all I am not entirely sure what happened to the others, but I believe one sold at around £200 and on the others bidding stopped at £180-£190 which was insufficient.    The beautiful Melody gilt I was bidding for had won 2nd place in her class the day before, in her first ever show, and had a reserve price of £220 which I was prepared to pay despite being £20 above my intended limit of £200, but her litter sister who had won 1st place the day before was unsold when bidding stopped at £190.    However, the owners offered me a very attractive reduction afterwards to take them both as they didn't want to take the one home on her own, and as a mate of mine down here in the south has also, like me, recently lost a Tamworth sow, I agreed and will hopefully be selling one of them on to him in 21 days time.    I entirely agree with Liz Shankland that it must be awful having to take unsold pigs home again, but certainly in the Tamworth maiden gilt class, I got the impression that there was only about £10 in it between the top bid and reserve price, and possibly it might have been worth the sellers dropping their reserve price just a tiny bit, not a lot, to effect a sale.    Perhaps they did afterwards, who knows.    Anyway I am very happy with my purchase, and only wish I had the time and space and means (ie. feed costs) to keep both of them, not just the one.    They look absolutely great together and have been scampering around their plot.    Tamsaddle - hoping like mad this posting will make it, rather than being inexplicably obliterated by ********** talktalk, again.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 02:02:37 pm »
with selling any pig you have to weigh up what it would be worth on the hook       you would not sell for less than meat price just to get a sale                i am surprised the seller did not take the £10 below reserve price
you have to remember that these pigs are the best there are at that particular time
with any animal there is a big difference in value betwean first and second
when i used to buy bulls i preferred to buy or negotiate after the animal had failed to make the reserve and never once was i disappointed or failed to purchase       the auction sets a level or value :farmer:

farming_newblood

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 03:47:54 pm »
 I have been told inpig  did well made £300 (to farrow 3 weeks after stoneleigh sale) if anyone can confirm this I'd be grateful, I've just come back from our local auction and was very disappointed by the turnout, these were for non pedigree stock but i like to go just to see how the trades going- and pick up  good ten week old wieners gilts selling for £15 each :(

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 06:44:17 pm »
There were very few buyers present although some breeds (Berkshire, Pietrain etc) did better than others. The reason that some bids seemed to be so close to the reserve was that the auctioneers were taking bids off the wall in an effort to get the prices up to the reserve. Several vendors indicated that they'd take the lower price only to be told that there were no bids. I appreciate everything that's been said about the market but pigs are still selling although not as well as a few months ago. For some breeds to do so badly, one must question whether BPA did enough to promote the event.

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 06:58:37 pm »
there was me thinking that the sparrows bidding was just a Scottish phenomena :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 12:41:07 am »
there was me thinking that the sparrows bidding was just a Scottish phenomena :farmer:
  ;D  It certainly makes it this far south of the border...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Nick Hunkin

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 12:46:22 pm »
A very difficult year to hold the largest pedigree pig sale .We all know the costs of pig feed and fuel at the moment. It would have been difficult to ignore the revival of a national show and sale at Stoneleigh even though the set up and facilities at Ross are ideal for pigs and in many ways pref ferable. We were invited to join in and we took the decision to do so. We normally get just over 100 entries at Ross--this year it was 160,with many members reporting low home sales. At Ross we have always sold over 80% of the entries but the 9 years we held the show and sale there were growth times for pedigree pigs --the BPA doubling its membership over the same period of time. We were bound to hit bad times sooner or later and I am very sorry for those vendors who had to take pigs home again. However we still managed to sell over 70 pigs,achieve a top price of 510 gns, sell 4 other pigs for aver 400 gns , sell 10 pigs for over 300 gns. If we had the usual 100 odd pigs forward it might have been a more positive looking result! The other pig sales this year since around June have all reported similar results in relation to entries. We will write to vendors in due course asking for views on future location etc.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS