Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Arks - Which one?  (Read 14614 times)

josiejumpt500

• Joined Oct 2011
Pig Arks - Which one?
« on: October 13, 2011, 03:17:59 pm »
I have just bought two sister piglets that I would like to keep to breed from. My problem is I'm new to this and am not sure what kind of pig ark to go for? Help please! They are British Saddlebacks

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: Pig Arks - Which one?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 04:00:18 pm »
Hi,
The best way to find an ark is look on the net loads to choose from and prices to suit most pockets. DON'T buy anything  from a company called Golden river they have been conning people all over the country.

If you are new to pigs I would suggest that you grow these on for meat and don't breed yet. There is a lot to learn about pigs and it's best to do it one step at a time. If the weaners have been sold as meat pigs you shouldn't really breed from them as the are not up to breed standards.

Get these 2 and enjoy them and learn about them and then next time think about breeding.

Good luck and have fun. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 04:08:36 pm »
Whereabouts are you? There is a lovely young man who made my pig arks (Devon) Sturdy, well made, delivers on time and is very reasonable .

josiejumpt500

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 04:10:48 pm »
Hi thank you for the advice but they to more be pets than meat. They are only 15 weeks so will be a long time before I breed, I just don't want to have to keep buying different arks as they grow and eventually have litters (in a couple years time). There papers say they are Dinah Line and there dad was a stockbroaker boar.
I have a smallholding with a couple of donkeys and sheep etc and pigs seemed the next logical step (not too many though just keeping the two!)

I have looked at the websites and I am torn in between new close farm and animal arks? Anyone had any experience with them?

And I am in based in the South West :)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 05:21:31 pm »
Oh josie my darling, i think you've got to do some serious homework your pigs will be ready to breed at nine months old, you can't wait for a couple of years to start with tthem as they will be infertile by then, i would get a good book like Carol Harris Guide to traditional pig keeping and read on or read the getting started articles on the GOS website www.oldspot.org.uk and go from there, yes pigs make lovely pets but read what Berkshire boy said again and the getting started articles and you'll understand a bit more. There are lots of breeders in the south west and any breed keeper will happily explain all the ins & outs.
Wishing you all the best
mandy  :pig:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 08:08:36 pm by Fowgill Farm »

Mel

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:30:05 pm »
 :wave: Josie!

We bought ours from Animal Arks-All I can say is,Brilliant throughout,even 4 months after,I called them up for some immediate advice and received it with no fuss,they are very professional and just so helpful!

Good luck with your venture xx

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 05:44:35 pm »
I can recommend Animal Arks too.  I've bought 14 from them now and they are brilliant - great advice from them too.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Bioman

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 08:27:06 pm »
Hi

I bought my pig ark from Noahs arks; they are moveable (by rolling them onto their top) and they are very sturdy and are resonably priced. I cant recommend them highly enough they are also pig farmers so they are more than proven.

http://www.noahspigarks.co.uk/pig_arks.htm

For the future if you want a Saddleback boar on loan. Harepathstead farm have a good boar they are in East Devon

http://www.harepathsteadpoultry.co.uk/pig.html

I wouldnt go for a plastic pig ark which are on the market as they "sweat" not good when your pig comes in to the ark wet from rain (or causing mayhem!)

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 09:56:36 pm »
Were chuffed to bits with Animal Arks too, fantastic people

josiejumpt500

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 10:05:02 pm »
Thanks for the advice on the breeding. Will keep these two girlies for meat then and see about building myself up to a little pig family! So what size is suitable for them to pork weight? I thought an 8x4 but just want to check? I think I will be going with Animal Arks as I asked them for a quote on a pig ark and a few other things for the brady bunch I've got and they were lovely about all my questions on pig keeping and being a nit nosey about how they makes the arks etc (husbands a chippy so he wanted all the details on what its made of etc.) So I will be going home with a couple of goat houses, a field shelter maybe a pig ark and a partridge in a pear tree!

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 12:39:13 pm »
We use Animal Arks and they're very good. We bought insulated arks which have worked very well not just in the cold but also in the hot weather (yes, we do get some occasionally in Scotland) as they don't get as hot inside as un-insulated ones. If your OH is a chippy he could probably make you a wooden triangular one, couldn't he?
Make sure they have plenty of closable ventilation, make sure they have floors. 8'x4' should be fine for your 2 girls, but you might want 8'x6' if you're thinking of getting more in the future. Animal Arks do very good farrowing arks too, if you do get into breeding.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 06:46:00 pm »
Ardingly Arks are worth a look at,based in the South East www.ardingly-arks.co.uk

Please give us a visit.

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 02:40:37 pm »
Hi ya, I am also based in the South West and I used The Traditional Pig Ark Company they will deliver and have a crane on the lorry so can position it were you need it prices not to bad and the guy makes them himself. I have had 5 from him and they are brilliant. :pig:

welshlass181

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 03:44:52 pm »
I have 2 different types  :thumbsup: 1 is a home made 8x4 wood ark made from old packing crates and the other type are made from old heating oil tanks that we washed out and cut holes in :) they're plastic, recycled, waterproof and bloody sturdy.

Dunno if it helps at all lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS