Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BPA show and sale, Sept 30/Oct 1, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire  (Read 8898 times)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
Re: BPA show and sale, Sept 30/Oct 1, Stoneleigh, Warwickshire
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 06:20:32 pm »
Sorry Nick but selling 70 pigs from 160 is rubbish. It doesn't make me want to rush over to stonleigh next year to increase my herd. I don't think you can put all the blame on feed and diesel prices. What makes the organisers think we want to sit on straw bales and a few plastic chairs not what I would call professional.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 07:00:12 pm »
We sold our two Tamworth gilts for £30 under our reserve price.  When the auctioneer was getting near he did look over to see what we wanted to do and as prices were poor at the sale we went with selling them rather than taking them home again.  If prices were only about £10 less than reseve price and the sellers weren't taking that it will have been because their were no bidders as Mr Pig said  ;) There were an awful lot of bids off the wall.  It seemed that there wasn't a lot of buyers there really, which is probably just a sign of the times unfortunately  :-\

Nick Hunkin

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 11:38:17 am »
I certainly agree that it was  disappointing,but  under the circumstances it could have been a lot worse. Our local Cheales buyer has culled over 450 breeding sows in the 5 months running up to the sale plus countless others bought through market--and thats just 3 westcountry counties. As what did sell was only 10 less than previous years and the average was the same as 2005 and more than 2006,he thought we had a good sale!!
This was the first sale at Stoneleigh and although we asked for a much bigger sales area,we did nit get it and the general set up was less than anticipated. If we go back in the future these things can be put right!

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 12:32:48 pm »
having attended several sales at Ross in the past the prices at theses sales were nothing to set the hills on fire i remember pigs being bought at just over killing price to be destined for the sausage trade and there piglets to follow the same journey
people will have got used to Ross just as some will get used to stoneleigh
there appears to be a mass Exodus from pigs all over      now was this caused by the money men or are we still suffering the effect of the German feeding fiasco   lamb and beef are at an all time high
yes it is a long way to go to a sale but if you want the best either for showing or breeding you have to travel as a point of interest at beatson there were at least 4 Scottish buyers that went home with purchases    no flying trade but sales just the same :pig: :farmer: :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS