Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sick of This.  (Read 26977 times)

waterhouse

Re: Sick of This.
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2011, 06:18:45 pm »
Pretty much agree though Japan has been in a slump for 20 years with a dwindling and ageing population.  And the German banks financed both the sub-prime crisis and the Euro-liar countries so they're looking screwed too.  Deutsche bank's share price has halved in the past few weeks while commerzbank's is down two-thirds. 

When I left school one of my friends went to work at vauxhall where theft of bits was pretty much a perk of the job.  Shades of Johnny Cash

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2011, 06:50:14 pm »
 I have two golden retrievers coming fast towards a year old now. When the time comes they will both be hip tested etc. If either of them are way off the low scores I am going to have them spade. It is just not worth ruining someone else's life selling them an unhealthy puppy.

Years ago we purchased a collie pup papers galore. She lived to 6 months old as she had been born with a condition that the only treatment that would have saved her would have been a heart transport. We took her to the Royal Vet college in Hertfordshire for this diagnosis. Probably the rest of the litter would have been born with similar problems in their opinion, but I could not find out as breeder was reluctant to give me any info on how the rest of the litter fared. That is just selling puppies for profit, blow the consequences.

I have had collie pups since then. One who ended up in the rescue centre until we rescued him at 6 weeks so interbreed that he has one small eye which he has some vision in and the other none. He ended up there as the breeder could not get any money for him.He is now 11. The other 11 year old collie also from the sanctuary when she was a pup two weeks later than the first, had worms the length of a 12" ruler when we took her home in the car,I've never seen anything like it before. She was another that could not be sold.They have been great dogs so far and they had no papers.

So please be responsible breeders. Who wants an unhealthy dog. They are far happier if they are as well as it is possible for us to make them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:57:47 pm by kaz »
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:01 pm »
I have two golden retrievers coming fast towards a year old now. When the time comes they will both be hip tested etc. If either of them are way off the low scores I am going to have them spade. It is just not worth ruining someone else's life selling them an unhealthy puppy.

Years ago we purchased a collie pup papers galore. She lived to 6 months old as she had been born with a condition that the only treatment that would have saved her would have been a heart transport. We took her to the Royal Vet college in Hertfordshire for this diagnosis. Probably the rest of the litter would have been born with similar problems in their opinion, but I could not find out as breeder was reluctant to give me any info on how the rest of the litter fared. That is just selling puppies for profit, blow the consequences.

I have had collie pups since then. One who ended up in the rescue centre until we rescued him at 6 weeks so interbreed that he has one small eye which he has some vision in and the other none. He ended up there as the breeder could not get any money for him.He is now 11. The other 11 year old collie also from the sanctuary when she was a pup two weeks later than the first, had worms the length of a 12" ruler when we took her home in the car,I've never seen anything like it before. She was another that could not be sold.They have been great dogs so far and they had no papers.

So please be responsible breeders. Who wants an unhealthy dog. They are far happier if they are as well as it is possible for us to make them.
And that is EXACTLY what I have been saying all through this thread!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2011, 03:59:27 pm »
Latest add on our local Gumtree warning owners NOT to give dogs free to good home. Seems these poor pets are being snapped up for bait in dog fighting. :o

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2011, 05:57:52 pm »
OMG how awful. Please do not give them away for free. If really stuck try R.S.P.C.A or Scottish equivalent or local animal sanctuary's, not let them go as dog bait, it makes all the hair on my arms stick up just thinking about that.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2011, 06:04:13 pm »
Yes, it's all over Facebook and Twitter, and blogs - rife in Aberdeen, no-one dare leave their dogs tied up outside a shop these days - I never did anyway but a lot of people do.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2011, 07:04:09 pm »
Its rife in our area too. We have a traveller site a mile or so from here and while the majority of the residents there are lovely, law abiding people (in fact one is my best friend!) there is a small minority who are not (isn't there always in every social group?) . We have known of local dogs, cats, chickens and ducks stolen as bait for either the fighting dogs (Akita's they have) or their cock fighting. I've had  a friend lose a cockerel and as she lives opposite and 2 of her sheep were attacked and killed by a loose dog from there, we have suspicions. Very sad, cruel and totally abhorrant IMO.
There is also known to be a man in a blue van collecting 'unwanted' staffies who were posted as free to good home, they are also planned as bait  ???
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2011, 09:48:20 pm »
B*ST*RDS!!!!

These scum should be put into a cage, naked and used as training for police dogs  >:(

Makes me SO angry when dogs are abused.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Sandy

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2011, 10:36:51 pm »
Dogs ARE mans/womans best friend...without my dogs I would be sad!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2011, 10:53:59 pm »
Dogs ARE mans/womans best friend...without my dogs I would be sad!

Hear, hear Sandy

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #70 on: September 04, 2011, 02:44:43 am »
Mother Nature sorts it - Survival of the fittest. The lab in question would die. Unless of course insurance policies are thrown at it.

It's time to name and shame the unsrupulous (sp) breeders of all dogs so that people are made aware of what is going on.

By the way, if mother nature were to intervene, what would happen to breeds like the British Bulldog whos' head is so big that only C Sections facilitate the continuance of the breed? How can that be right?

Ian
Ian your idea is a fair one but don't start naming and shaming on this site lest some one decided to take the site owners on for liabel and loss of income .. there are many that would chance their arm trying to get compensations that's for sure.

A letter to local councils asking about dog breeded licences and council health checks etc. because you are very very worried & concerned as to the sort of dog they are selling (you can also ask to remain anonymous ) with similar to the RSPCA etc often is far more effective.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Collie26

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2011, 08:18:20 am »
I was talking to a woman who was running a high energy rescue centre basically for unwanted dogs like collies ect. They have been comming from all over battersea where collies arent suited to city life really! And also frim ireland lots from ireland pups to elderly dogs, there has been a surge in collies as the government has given farmers a grant to breed collies which has resulted in lots of unwanted collies!!?? How much is true about this i wouldnt like to say about the grant that is. But she also said (please dont take my word for this because i havent looked at this) but that the welsh government has given planning permision for 200!!!! Yes 200 kennels used for breeding dogs!!!!!!!!!

This isnt going to help anyone !!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #72 on: September 04, 2011, 11:51:23 am »
Yes, it's true - I saw a campaign/petition on Facebook to try to get the Welsh Government to turn this around and cancel the licences.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2011, 09:26:56 pm »
Mother Nature sorts it - Survival of the fittest. The lab in question would die. Unless of course insurance policies are thrown at it.

It's time to name and shame the unsrupulous (sp) breeders of all dogs so that people are made aware of what is going on.

By the way, if mother nature were to intervene, what would happen to breeds like the British Bulldog whos' head is so big that only C Sections facilitate the continuance of the breed? How can that be right?

Ian
Ian your idea is a fair one but don't start naming and shaming on this site lest some one decided to take the site owners on for liabel and loss of income .. there are many that would chance their arm trying to get compensations that's for sure.

A letter to local councils asking about dog breeded licences and council health checks etc. because you are very very worried & concerned as to the sort of dog they are selling (you can also ask to remain anonymous ) with similar to the RSPCA etc often is far more effective.

As pet shop owners, we were assesed as to our standards etc by Birmingham City Council. During a conversation with the head man himself, we asked how many registered dog breeders there were in the whole of Birmingham?

Guess how many?

The answer - ONE! I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

No worries of me doing anything on here to jeopardise this site by the way. It's too good  :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2011, 12:20:04 am »
I'm more than sick as well.
 Before the holiday of a life time ( nearly six week touring around Europe dragging out 4 bed shed ) we sought out as many kennels as we could find in a 30 mile area . Had a look at them all and ended up with only two to go back to , the one we initally decided on said sorry we cannot do it as there is a fully booked  list for three days in the middle of the period .
they only kennel dogs and do not breed them nor do they rehome them .

second place was looking good .. an RSPCA vehicle was there taking two very skinny sheepdogs into the reception building .. the dogs were in a rweal mess , coveren in excrement aqnd showing ribs you could have played the national anthem on.

We had a good look round ..not all  pens were full bit they were dry and clean , no real nasty stink etc etc.

Things looked good the people had a breeding establishment and out nin a well wired in barn and yard area were several young pups yapping and prancing around.

On this information we left Merle there  secure in the knowledge he would be looked after . The owners even said they would specially buy in his diet of Skinners Rough and Ready for him and feed him the two meals a day of two of our scoops each time .
We also provided a  vet bedding blanket and a kong extreme chew thingy for his stay .. lots of assurances were given as to his great time he would have.  He weighed 31 Kg a fortnight earlier at the vets when we took him for his Kennel cough vaccination & to get him a front line flea treatment and a decent wormer down his neck .

When we returned  & went to collect to collect the dog  the next morning , Merle let out a long drawn out howl as he recognised the car and my daughters voice. .... something he has never done before.
 he cried into my hands when his pen was opened , he smelt of rotting something and looked much thinner than when we took him. he looked ass if he needed a bath .

I took him to the caged cargo areaof the KIA  and had to help put him in the car as he was shaking  and unsure. at geting in .
My lass paid whilst I did this . On getting home I checked him for fleas ( he been Front lined the day before going to the kennel  ) and found him quite hot  , his fore legs were full of thick matted hair that stank to high heavens .. I stripped off bunged on some shorts and took him into our wetroom and gave him a ( vet prescribed )  medicated shampoo , as I did this I noticed several sores on him and that he had no claws to speak of, his elbows were devoid of hair, he was runnig a temperature.
 Once shampooed and gently dried  I noticed he had no toe nails on any of his feet they were worn to almost the quick and there were several circles on his pads wht had been healed leaving rings where something had occured. 
 I rang the vet and got an appointment for the next morning .

Merle had a very high temp[erature and weighed only 24,4 kg  the vet estimated he'd lost over 6 kg thats 13.2 pounds in old money .
 The vet gave him a real good examination and said she was disgusted that he'd ben kept in a kennels and not been taken to a vet . he was not only suffering a high temp & been half starved he was also very very dehydrated and would have been very very ill in another few days or so.

He's now had a course of antibiotics and in ten days has put back on  six pounds in weight . his temp had settled .
 The sores have healed but the bare elbows  are still balder than me.
That stinking stuff on his front legs was saliva in his hair wherer he had licked at sore places leaving him with a skin infection ..it is slowly starting to lift out as his hair regrows ..each day I gently comb him out and the pile of brown matted hair is getting smaller it now is only a big jaffa size.

He won't leave my side  , he's getting three meals aday of 200 grm each meal plus a codliver oil capsule every other day and has also been re frontlined and re wormed ..poor little bugger was full of worms ... god only knows what he'd been fed or where theybhad been keeping him for his vet bed blanket was not chewed up he usually gets through one every month , he also demolishes a kong extreme every six weeks .. the one we sent with him was on top of a cage out side the main kennel block and untouched .

Our vet told us of the days when she was trying to get animal experience in place to help her become a vet.. one lady  made up three meals aday for her goldie and put them in heat sealed bags  with the dogs name on  them and each days date .. the vet said a soon as the lady went out the gate the owner of the kennels threw the lot in the 1 tonne industrial wheelie bin and said the dog gets this .. which was about a cheap and nasty a dry dog food you could ever buy unless you had it specially made for you ... it was a very poor maintenence diet for an old dog formula.

I live in South Wales and if this is the standard of registered kennels god help the poor mutts.

Breeding set ups are even worse as we found out after buying  a goldie  four years ago aged 9 weeks old .. We  got a dog ( JET _ that initally looked as though it belonged to the farm house we visited to buy him ( pedigreed at that if I wanted to pay extra )

he always seemed to not want to play and bounce around loike a loon as my other goldies have always done.

At seven months old his hips were so shallow they would not support him he had had six leg dislocations front and rear just walking to 7 from school 450 mtrs away and back , the vet reckoned he was at least 10 months old for when he was castrated at this seven month point his tackle was that of a very mature dog , one of the biggest he'd ever seen so said the vet ..

We tried using things from the vet such as a  high protein medicated diet to speed up bone growth but  at just over ten months old after three more dislocations we had him put down his hips & shoulders were severely arthritic and creaking , he was in tremendous pain most of  the time.

I took him to the vet the day after we purchased him , he had to be treated for a strange kidney infection and despite being assured he had been treated with a prescribed wormer a few days earlier he shat kitting needle lengths of them for two days after the vets dosage of wormer for he found them in a lump in his gut.

After we had had him put down I got a bit morbid and started looking at some pictures of him that we took at the farm house when the penny suddenly dropped.. close to the  kennel shed  was a sheep trailer  ,the floor showed it was covered in  vast amounts of yellow excrement & some reddish regurgitated food .

.. sheep s**t is green .. Jet had been shipped in from a puppy farm and he'd been the runt of an earlier litter and had been shoved in with the litter being sold.

International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS