Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed suitability  (Read 21198 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Breed suitability
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 06:26:27 pm »
Hi,
I'm no expert having only had tamworth (totally nuts) and saddleback (a BIT calmer) crosses. But I think I'm right in saying that Large Blacks, for all their size, are incredibally docile and easy to handle. They're top of my list for the next pigs I get.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 07:29:35 am »
Large black cross lops sound nice.  They should be docile.  If you train them from the start to follow a bucket they should move very easily.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 09:58:37 am »
I'm trying to train my Tamworths to a bucket, am I wasting my time hillarysmum?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »
no of course not, anyway any time spent with pigs is never time wasted. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 02:52:10 pm »
We've always had Tamworths. They've always been "trained" to follow a bucket. Makes loading much easier!

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 05:46:21 pm »
My dudes and dudettes are just plain crazy! They follow us around, and play chasing with the boys...they are so good natured...i'm very impressed, sold on the little devils now! They have personality with k#just a little hint of mischief...what more could you possibly want!

Morgan  :farmer:

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2009, 11:17:52 pm »
What meat breed of pig did you get in the end Tirdu?
There is a good oxford, sandy and black breeder in cilcennen (sabrina, who in the past has also won prizes for her pigs), we are fattening one up ourselves from her, and a welsh pig from andrew in Llanon (his pigs have won several prices at royal welsh etc).
Personally i really do like the temperment of the adult pigs of the above two breeds, they both fatten up pretty quick yet are still rare breeds, have good mothering skills, and in general are well tempered at farrowing and up until weaning. If you have the right kind of system and feed you can get both to around 60Kg in 24 weeks, and the Welsh well you can get them that big as young as 18 weeks, good little turnover if you have the land.

Whilst another personal favorite is the Large black, lovely docile breed but do take a long time to fully fill out and make a respectable looking bacon pig (wouldnt use this breed for pork personally, its like using a Berkshire for bacon they werent orginally designed for that, however if you crossed the two thats a different matter), unfortunetly the nearest large black breeder is 10 mins away from builth wells.
Are you getting the GOS from John near Abermeurig?
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2009, 08:46:03 pm »
Well pel i know both sabrina johnson and andrew davies very well. But we've know decided on some GOS and a saddleback. Thanks to all on ther advice. The next piece of advice id like is if all you guys agree or disagree wth my choices, and if so why??

many thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2009, 08:38:33 am »
Wonderful choice.  For ease of handling and sweet nature GOs every time.  I like saddlebacks too, so striking and more controllable than the tammies.

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 11:57:13 am »
Gotta say i'm very impressed with the Tamworths. I imight diversify in future years, but the Tammies are here for good!

Morgan :farmer:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 06:23:17 pm »
Sorry if that sounded negative towards tamworths, started with tammies and kept them for years.  Just getting old and unable to keep up.  I think I posted somewhere before how embarrassing it is when the pig that is supposed to be following the bucket grabs the bucket and runs off with it.  Vertically challenged wombles do not run well in mud, unlike tamworths.

brimaston

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 08:53:53 pm »
Have to say that Oxford Sandy and Blacks are a brilliant first pig. Very docile, good natured and without the tendency toward escapology of the Tamworths. The meat was very sweet and made excellent Parma ham-style hams.

Trying a Berkshire X Iron Age this year. Berkshires make excellent crackling,but I've not tried this cross before.

Jon

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2009, 09:04:09 pm »
Hello,

We have both OSB's and Tams. We find the Tams whilst more energetic are easier to handle and far more an intelligent pig. The OSB's are a terror for biting (albeit not with malice) either your toes or more painfully on the back of the thigh ! They do produce sturdier piglets though.

Have we all decided that Tams are the best yet  ;) ?

Cheers

Gavin

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2009, 09:23:55 pm »
I think Tirdu has made a good choice. Excelent first pigs. i have had gos and gos x berks, both easy to cope with and have produced excellent pork. have not gone for baconers yet, will try in the future. thats  the beauty, theres always next year. Also with the people on this forum theres little no one has tried and tested. :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2009, 06:56:23 am »
For bacon tamworths every time.  (Well that was my experience)  I use GOS now its not quite the same.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS