Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed suitability  (Read 21191 times)

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
Breed suitability
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:45:17 am »
Hei there people, just wanting some advice on breed choice. Im thinking on purchasing some gloucester old spot gilts for breeding purposes, but also thinking of getting a few other pigs to kill for pork, as there any particular breeds which are better porkers than other which you advise me to purchase, many thanks.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Breed suitability
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 11:36:51 am »
Do you particularly want a different meat breed?  Gossies make good eating.  For (imho) perfect pork GOS x Tamworth .

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 11:43:24 am »
not really im buying the 2 GOS gilts for breeding pure, but was just wandering if there is a paticulary excellent breed for just porkers? A freind of ours had a litter of 9 GOS x Tamworths and they where jusy magnificent little pigs. Thanks for the quick rely also  :)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:39:59 pm »
Middle Whites would be the best pork pig with Tamworths the best for bacon. Middle Whites are also in need of some help to keep breed numbers up.

Cheers

Gavin

p.s. not everyone would agree with me..... :D

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:21:00 pm »
Thanks for that gavo, the middle white had actually crossed my mind as a good choice. The tamworth i'm not all that keen on personally. :D

nellie

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Mont St Michel France
    • Vacation Normandy
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:23:58 pm »
I  would recomend Saddleback for beautiful sweet pork.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 11:28:12 pm »
The saddleback is a breed which i love so much, just magnificent to look at, thanks for that nellie greatly appreciated ;D

anirbas123

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 01:52:10 am »
Im sorry it is just mind boggling that you people are posting advice on what kind of pigs to eat when you have such cute pictures of pigs as your icons. Its weird and sick that you can look at how cute and sweet they are and see passed it and think about eating them. Its cruel and I joined this sight just to let you know I think you people are really messed up. Pigs are sweet, smart and adorable creatures that just want to be loved not tortures and turned into pork chops for your dinner. There are soooo many things you can eat besides meat and its disgusting for your health and anyone that disagrees is only lying to himself.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 07:59:01 am »
Hello Sabrina

Im sorry it is just mind boggling that you people are posting advice on what kind of pigs to eat when you have such cute pictures of pigs as your icons. Its weird and sick that you can look at how cute and sweet they are and see passed it and think about eating them. Its cruel and I joined this sight just to let you know I think you people are really messed up. Pigs are sweet, smart and adorable creatures that just want to be loved not tortures and turned into pork chops for your dinner.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, and to express it here. Personally I think you'd be better directing your energies towards those who factory farm pigs and other animals for meat. Most of us here are meat-eaters, and know that something has to die to satisfy our diets. Our animals are extremely well cared for, with great respect and compassion, and are killed quickly and as painlessly as possible.

I think we're also balanced enough to distinguish between the stero-typical cartoon portrayal of pigs :pig: and the reality of raising them for real, just as we can tell the difference between life at Hogwarts and the reality of school for most children. There's no dichotomy (although maybe we should find a pork chop smiley).

Without people like us keeping them on a small scale for their meat many breeds of pig would disappear completely and we'd be left with over-bred, intensively farmed pigs living in poor conditions. I'm not offering you that choice (it's not yours to make) but perhaps you should think a bit more deeply than how cute pigs are and what a terrible thing it is that we eat them?

There are soooo many things you can eat besides meat and its disgusting for your health and anyone that disagrees is only lying to himself.

A classic bare assertion fallacy. Come back when you're more open-minded and we can have a reasoned, sensible discussion about all this.

Dan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 08:27:29 am »
Can only second Dan's posting as it says it all far better than I could.  Except unless you are a vegan arent you being just a tad hypocritical?

HM

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 11:14:45 am »
Well said Dan!!
Take a propper look at the facts before condemning people, most people on this site are keeping pigs for the freezer because they don't like the idea of these wonderful Little creatures kept in confinement with no daylight. Our pigs are happy health and live as pigs should, there needs are met in every way. People eat meat that you'll never stop, i just wish that all meat eaters looked at how there dinner ended up on there plate, i know my dinner had the life is should have had! :pig: :chook: :cow: :goat: :horse: :turkey: :&>

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:47:45 am »
Well said you three, and I would add that there is nothing quite like sitting down to enjoy a meal from an animal that has lived the best life you can afford it; you have had a relationship and memories and it no way resembles the pathetic anonymous slab that can be found in a polystyrene carton on a supermarket shelf having live a life of goodness knows what!

I think I speak for all here when I say that if Sabrina took the time to read the postings on TAS and learn something about the people on here, she would find a community of caring and dedicated people who take pride in the fact that they do the best by their stock and are willing to share experiences and learn from others in a bid to be the best they can be, thus affording their stock the best possible life.

Thank goodness our community lives in a coloured world where we consider the opinions of others and are not too proud to take criticism and accept help.

I think Sabrina could learn a lot about human nature if she got to know us all through our words, and maybe she could walk away from the black and white world in which she surrounds herself, and begin to open her mind to the fact that not all meat eaters are murderers; as likeminded people we are compasionate and dedicated towards our animals, and to that end we all hope that we can make a difference in this world even if it is only in a small way, by others learning from our example.

Our piggy icons bring a smile to our faces as do our real little piggy friends!

Kate :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 07:13:19 pm »
Well said Dan, thanks for that  ;D

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 07:31:15 pm »
Its cruel and I joined this sight just to let you know I think you people are really messed up. Pigs are sweet, smart and adorable creatures that just want to be loved not tortures and turned into pork chops for your dinner.

Sabrina, Think like the rest of us here have done, you could do with reading past posts. This one on page 8 may give you an incite as to what us smallholders are trying to achieve and the emotions involved in caring for and producing our own pigs. ("2 Saddleback weaner's coming to virgin pig mother this week end") I think everyone on this site feels the same emotions when it come to the final for our pigs.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 07:40:15 pm »
Exactly, same when it comes to slaughtering the lambs. Easier said than done when it comes to the point. You can be a little emotional about it sometimes when they go but its a way o life and living at the end of the day.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS