Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breed suitability  (Read 21193 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Breed suitability
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 08:33:52 pm »
Hello Dan, I never posted anything about keeping and eating pigs, our weaners arrive in April

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 08:47:06 pm »
So after all that we're agreed that Tamworths are the best!

Gavin

p.s. must go to feed the two "gremlins" - hand reared OSB/Tam piglets who are in hiding outside the backdoor waiting for their bottles to appear....

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:37 pm »
Hello Dan, I never posted anything about keeping and eating pigs, our weaner's arrive in April

anirbas123 her names on her email Sabrina Maglaras??

So after all that we're agreed that Tamworths are the best!

I don't know about that it's got to be a saddleback for me! Had a wonderful sow a few years back, best mother ever never a prob with her apart from the fact she thinks she was a dog!! ;D ;D she was also bottle fed. Produced some wonderful young, not tasted anything nicer.   :pig: :pig: :pig: :pug:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 10:32:45 pm »
Hello Dan, I never posted anything about keeping and eating pigs, our weaners arrive in April

Two Sabrinas, what are the odds?!

Sorry for any confusion, I think we can tell you apart now.  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:37:57 pm »
Perhaps we now need a thread for vegetarians  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :chook: :cow: :sheep: :turkey: :&>
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 12:57:10 am »
Dan, dan he's our man
if he can't do it,
then no one will (simpsons)

OMNIVORES RULE!   :farmer:

DON'T HURT THAT POOR CARROT

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2009, 09:06:33 am »
For real pig in luxury we should all demand that Carole posts pictures of Lulu, who can climb stairs, likes the sofa, wears the coffee table like a shell and complains loudly when the fire is not lit.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2009, 09:20:31 am »
oh well, that stirred us up a bit. bless her little cotton socks, she's entitled to her opinion. but she has no clue to how well looked after our piggies are and how big a wrench it is to say farewell to them. Pigs are a vital piece of the smallholders setup. man can not live on only veg, he needs a little meat, better to care for a pig and cherish every morsel than buy a piece of water injected , factory farmed, polystyrene wrapped and anaemic stuff. If it's any use to her I love my veggies and fruit too, but don't get the same relationship back. :pig: :chook: :cow: :sheep: :turkey: :carrot: :apple: :pepper: :blackberry: :brocolli: :corn: :peas: :spud: :squash: :rasp: :P

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 12:58:51 pm »
Yet another pig here that thinks she's a dog, a foxhound no less !! Mind you she's also happy to be a chicken, or a horse !! Hand reared, with love of course  :pig:

Like most of us I rear my own meat because of my intense feelings towards animal welfare. The care and love invested goes along way towards making that final trip - a trip I never find easy, even after many years. But I'm a meat eater and for me and my family the only way is to take full responsibility, which means giving our livestock a healthy happy life and a quick and stress free death (as possible).
Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

carole

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 01:05:23 pm »
What a lovely picture, yes HM will post a picture if some kind soul will tell me how to do it.

Carole

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 01:10:06 pm »
Is that a current picture? There's so much grass!! Nice fence too.

And lovely hens and piggie of course.

BadgerFace

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Sussex
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 01:28:43 pm »
Is that a current picture? There's so much grass!! Nice fence too.

And lovely hens and piggie of course.

Photo taken last summer, sadly my piggy paddock is ankle deep mud at the moment - grass is a distant memory  :(
My OH does the fencing, sometimes seems every spare moment is taken up with fencing of one type or another. My teenage daughter often jokes "what are you doing this weekend, fencing for a change ??"

What a lovely picture, yes HM will post a picture if some kind soul will tell me how to do it.

Carole

I upload my pic's to a photobucket account (it's a free image hosting website) then just follow the instructions on posting the IMG code.  ;D

Breeder of Pedigree Torddu Badger Face Welsh Mountain Sheep & Anglo Nubian Goats

DavidnChris

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 05:45:47 pm »
QUOTE FOM ABOVE --
There are soooo many things you can eat besides meat and its disgusting for your health and anyone that disagrees is only lying to himself.

As well as intending to keep pigs in the next week or so I keep bees - I've read on another website from someone who thinks it's cruel to keep bees !!
The reason being that the beekeeper will squash bees when he takes the hive apart and puts it back together. Well that's true bees do get caught, but the beekeeper will try to avoid it if he can by gently lowering the hive parts to give bees time to get out.
So my question to this person would be - just exactly what can people eat?
If I could find the other website again and be bothered to register I would point out to them that without beekeepers bees wouldn't exist in this country.

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 05:56:27 pm »
I'd like to see a self sufficient vegan get a living in our climate!  The protein element of a vegan diet consists largely of Soya (GM) which is imported (food miles?).
I'll stick to what I can watch growing, even if it does grunt!  ;)

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »
Isnt most soya produced these days also genetically modified?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS