Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Re: Anybody got a small male dog who would father some pups?  (Read 11536 times)

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
Re: Anybody got a small male dog who would father some pups?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 08:53:29 pm »

just a word of warning, i would strongly suggest that you avoid patterdales, fell terriers and working type lakelands if you are breeding pets, they are a very difficult breed. the amount of storys ive heard from lads having to rescue peoples "pet" working terrier types out of drains, fox holes, out from under buildings is staggering, they never truely switch off. the urge to hunt is in them.
Thanks for the warning re Patterdales I have been offered a 2 year old dog and read the personality description. - seems like a handful. The people who have asked for pups from us have fallen in love with our bitch and her 'couthy' nature. so pups that hid the personality of a psycho killer would be bad.

Most of the dogs that i have had were rescue dogs. I have only ever bought 2 puppies. Our old dog who is 12 now is a Parson Russell who I got from the breeder because she had a dodgy shoulder joint. As a result she has never had pups. As a youngster - in my 20's i worked for 2 years as a veterinary nurse and saw all sorts of things from Golden retrievers with a rage problem and King Charles spaniels that needed an eye removed because it was hanging out of its socket as a result of over breeding - bulldogs that couldn't give birth naturally and had to have a caesarean, their heads were too big. What a lot of trauma!

Your Brittanys sound gorgeous Doganjo and I'm not casting aspersions about pedigrees in general and i believe that many breeders are much more careful now than they used to be.

I don't feel the need to justify our plan but in case anyone is interested - We are keen to produce puppies for a families we know who want a small dog that is as manageable and as good a family pet as our wee dog. One family in particular are new to dog keeping and being neighbours they want the confidence of knowing the mother.

On a slightly different tack - i agree with the earlier post which suggested that there is a place for x breed family pets that don't have a hefty price tag on them - a reasonable exchange of money to ensure that the commitment is there by the new family and to help pay for all the likely expenses seems like a good idea - but as gorgeous as many pedigree dogs are if someone isn't bothered about a pedigree it seems like a good idea for there to be an alternative.

Thank you all for all of your posts - I'll let you know how we get on. I've been looking for a year - no joy yet
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:13:30 pm by marigold »
kirsty

gem

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 09:09:28 pm »

just a word of warning, i would strongly suggest that you avoid patterdales, fell terriers and working type lakelands if you are breeding pets, they are a very difficult breed. the amount of storys ive heard from lads having to rescue peoples "pet" working terrier types out of drains, fox holes, out from under buildings is staggering, they never truely switch off. the urge to hunt is in them.
Thanks for the warning re Patterdales I have been offered a 2 year old dog and read the personality description. - seems like a handful. The people who have asked for pups from us have fallen in love with our bitch and her 'couthy' nature. so pups that hid the personality of a psycho killer would be bad.
i keep them myself, they need to be worked, ive 2 bitch pups (11wks old) here ive kept out of my litter, most of the time they get on great, they do get into the occasional fight, despite their age they can do real damage to each other, have to kennel them up seperately everytime im out of the house

Sandy

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 09:35:13 pm »
Quote from: gem

Found that one out, we could not let him off the lead even when we lived miles from anywhere!!! That was his downfall, he ran out as soon as some one came to the door and off like a shot and run over also like a shot, very cute dog that weed every where, chewed things up, dug holes and pulled our Rottie Cross around!!!! Labs are much easier to control!!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:31:44 am by Dan »

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2011, 01:24:53 pm »
Sorry Marigold - I didn't mean for this thread to "shoot you down in flames", I should maybe have been less blunt ::)
My first impression was that you wanted to breed your bitch and didn't much care what breed the father would be which didn't seem too well thought out! Your later posts have somewhat dispelled this. However it is sad that there are so many terriers and terrier crosses in rescue ( I have just counted 29 needing homes on the Many Tears website - NONE of them staffies or other bull terriers, the majority are Jack Russell crosses.)  Unfortunately even when responsible breeders say if there are any problems please bring the pup back - people don't - they just hand them in to the nearest pound, or worse just chuck them out on the street or on the moors if they are in the country.  I am not against breeding, certainly not against cross breeds, but I think there has to be a very good reason to breed - not just that there is no reason not to.  I wish you luck. :wave:
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 08:54:55 pm »
Thank you Shep for your generous words. I knew that you were passionate about dog welfare and rightly so.
I guess that the reason why so many of us use this website is because we care about our animals and have an interest in the rights and wrongs of smallholding including breeding. Thanks again and i'll let you all know if anything progresses - I was offered a pug today through a colleague - not what i had in mind at all - i've seen too many with breeding problems. Its all so complicated.
 :)
kirsty

princesspiggy

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 10:24:26 pm »
marigold, if u can get to aberdeenshire, we could offer u a lhaso apso, papered, 6 years old and randy! brought up with kids and all animals and healthy etc
pm me if ur interested

Sandy

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 10:28:45 pm »
Hes lovely!!!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 11:12:16 pm »
marigold, if u can get to aberdeenshire, we could offer u a lhaso apso, papered, 6 years old and randy! brought up with kids and all animals and healthy etc
pm me if ur interested

Good temperament too, this breed.  KC description -
He is of an independent nature, and can be quite stubborn and chary of strangers, but he is very loving and affectionate to friends and family. He will happily walk for miles over any terrain and makes a charming and very attractive pet, with his jaunty movement and proud head carriage, all set off by a beautifully plumed tail.
The only recommended tests for Lhaso's is eye testing,  Here's the complete list.  The first column lists required tests, the second one lists recommended ones.
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/1100/abshealthreqs.pdf
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 11:30:18 pm »
I'm not going to get into whole debate about breeding cross breeds but I would say that from my observations over the past couple of years that there do seem to be a lot less entire males suitable for breeding around. I am only aware of this as we have a young Jack Russell that we would quite like to pup but haven't found any entire Jack Russell's locally (don't want a KC registered one, just a regular JR).

I might take up BlueDaisy's offer of getting the contact details she knows on the other thread from this in marketplace.

Beth

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 06:13:11 am »
I'd definitely support avoiding Patterdale, Fell and Lakeland terriers, whose work/hunting drive is so strong, for pets. Mum and Dad, experienced dog owners, decided to get a Lakeland, who turned out to be an angel with people, including kids, but so lethal with anything furred or feathered he became hard to live with (double doors shut always between him and the other dogs, all his long life  ::)) My childhood was punctuated by urgent 'shut the door' shouts and then 'oh no, where's Ruff' :D

Darren

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 05:54:32 pm »
I have kept patterdales for nearly 30 yrs and NEVER had any of those problems, what they need are constant goal posts and an owner that isnt lazy

Sandy

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 06:06:23 pm »
THats where I went wrong, he was such a good looking dog but he would tackle ANYTHING!!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 07:28:44 pm »
I have kept patterdales for nearly 30 yrs and NEVER had any of those problems, what they need are constant goal posts and an owner that isnt lazy
Hello, Darren!  welcome to teh forum!  Been lurking for a while?  What else do you do apart from keeping Patterdales?  (I love them, especially the black ones - knew Tommy Addison at Dunalastair Estate who had a working kennel of them in the 80s)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Darren

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 09:03:37 pm »
I knew Frank Buck from up that way and he sent a dog down when he was dying, I only have 1 Patt at the moment and some Border Terriers plus 4 whippets. I am a full time rabbit catcher and pest controller and also do a bit of writing

gem

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 09:40:21 pm »
what bloodlines the patt you have now? any pics?  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS